• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pokémon 1st Editions

5 posts in this topic

So I recently stumbled upon my childhood collection of 1st Edition Base set Pokémon cards. I know CGC is newer to the world of grading cards.  I obviously want to maximize my money. Should I use another service or would it not really matter and basically sell for the same price?

Among holos I have a bunch of regular stuff too, should I get all my cards graded to maximize the selling or just the ones “worth” money?

I’ll be posting them for sale eventually on my eBay if you are looking for THE OG Pokémon 1st edition cards. Feel free to follow for when I do post them  

https://ebay.com/usr/thatcudude

F0E88300-AEEF-49E6-8F4C-E3F4EB98F22B.jpeg

It is no secret that other competitors hold a lot more of the market share when it comes to sales, the reason I will be and am using CGC is for turnaround times and I prefer their cases for my collection. 

One good thing to keep in mind is EVERYONE and their mothers are sending cards to PSA and BGS right now and turnaround times have been impacted heavily.  In 4-8 Months the market is going to be flooded.  It may be worth getting a Walkthrough service with CGC to beat this influx of graded cards on the market.  If you are unhappy with the grade, having issues selling, or think you can get a better grade with PSA since it is no doubt an easier grade to achieve, then you can always send it to get graded again elsewhere.

The Charizard may be worth sending in to PSA for one of their "premium" services if turnarounds are not too impacted there but I have never used that.  You would need to keep in mind you would be paying a solid $3k to $5k just to get that single card graded due to its value, not including shipping or insurance.  At CGC you might be looking at $150 total, something around there, have never had to insure a package that valuable so it might be more but I would expect way less than even just the base grading price from PSA.

Edited by LordSherman
Typo

bear in mind PSA charges you based on the cards value post grading. that Charizard will cost around $1k minimum to grade with PSA. up to 5k depending how well it grades. 

to grade all those cards with PSA expect a grading bill of 4-5k USD.

CGC will charge about $50 per card to grade, and get it back to you within a week. 

Edited by Kiramouse

Condition is going to matter greatly on getting those cards graded as well.  We can't tell condition from the photos.  If that Charizard is a PSA 3, then it will "only" cost you $200 to get it graded at PSA.  If it is a PSA 9 or 10, then it's going to cost you $2000 to $5000 to get that one card graded at PSA.  Don't forget shipping and insurance both ways too!  Insurance is expensive for mailing valuable cards.  I just spent $80 to insure one card getting mailed to PSA.  Costs add up so fast when grading valuable cards.

Edited by Jolthammer1