• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This looks real good: Nobody

26 posts in this topic

I know these revenge productions just don't do well and are over-used ( :cool: ) but this is interesting.

From the moment the first look at Nobody was released, the Bob Odenkirk-starring thriller drew comparisons to the John Wick franchise. Not only did the teaser feature a retired assassin hellbent on revenge, but it was soon revealed Derek Kolstad wrote the story for Universal and Odenkirk. Kolstad, of course, serves as the primary architect for the Wick franchise, so many instantly thought the two could be connected in some shape, way, or form.

Despite the franchises residing at different homes — Universal (Nobody) and Lionsgate (Wick) — we went ahead and asked Kolstad about any potential crossover plans when we caught up with him last week. After all, stranger things have happened, right?

"You know, honestly, they're so different. Growing up, I loved Narnia, Lord Of The Rings, Star Wars, and Dungeons and Dragons. They're very, very different creatures but they're very, very, very similar. Right?" the writer says of crossover opportunities. "I think these are two very separate things that if they were to ever converge at a certain point, it would be the two of them walking through an airport and just giving each other a nod."

Kolstad says a simple passing-by in the airport would suffice as the two characters — Odenkirk's Hutch Mansell and Keanu Reeves' Wick — crossover.

"I think that's much more interesting because at a certain point, when worlds collide, as a guy who loves these kinds of movies, it always feels desperate at that point," Kolstad adds. "And in none of these things do I ever want to find ourselves in a desperate place. I would rather it be a little bit of a wink and a nod to each other and the audience."

No matter if it's Odenkirk or Keanu, Kolstad says he's had a blast working on both franchises.

"Now, he has been acting and writing. And by the way, his notes are phenomenal because he is a writer," Kolstad says of Odenkirk's Nobody involvement. "But the physicality, he threw himself into it. And you talk to the stunt guys in the second unit and they were like, 'This guy's a joy.'"

3 hours ago, the blob said:

i love odenkirk, but really, i am used to him getting the snot kicked out of him, i have a tough time seeing him as a somewhat older john wick

I had basically the same conversation with my Dad about this yesterday.

Nobody Review: Bob Odenkirk Is a Bonafide Action Superstar

This movie will inevitably be compared to John Wick (but with Bob Odenkirk) and for good reason — both movies follow similar premises and even share a few story beats as well. That's far from a bad thing, mind you, as Nobody also manages to set up an interesting protagonist and a world ripe for further exploration. By the end of the movie, it's clear something like this could set up a larger franchise.

Nobody is light on a story in an attempt to craft a sympathetic protagonist that's relatable to a vast majority of the audience that will see this movie in theaters. By the time the plot comes around, you're already invested in the main character enough to forgive how wobbly the story told might be. Nobody aces the thing it set out to do — it tells a character-driven story that turns Odenkirk into a bonafide action superstar. The fact they gave Doc Brown a cache of sawed-off shotguns is just the cherry on top of an already-excellent shootout sundae.

Rating: 4 out of 5

just got back from seeing this with the Wife, my daughter and her boyfriend

we all loved it :applause: great action, funny and some great kills

great popcorn movie