• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More liberal grading for older comics , how can this be an 8.0? (Pic) (Tales to Asonish 44)
1 1

20 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Angel of Death said:

Does not look like an 8.0 to me.

Either one or the other is what you're expecting to see, a nicer spine to counter the right edge chips, or a smooth right edge to counter the spine wear, but not both set of defects. But the colors hee are uncommonly bold and beautiful enough that eye appeal and pedigree like attributes uplifted the grade. A little bit of luck may have also played a part. The book is very striking and not typical among other 44s; it will stand out and pop. I also may not agree with 8.0 but I can understand it. An exceptional 7.0 or 7.5 may be our shared opinion but since CGC only assigns 1 numbered grade, 8.0 may have been how they saw this on that day. 

Edited by James J Johnson

14 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Either one or the other is what you're expecting to see, a nicer spine to counter the right edge chips, or a smooth right edge to counter the spine wear, but not both set of defects. But the colors hee are uncommonly bold and beautiful enough that eye appeal and pedigree like attributes uplifted the grade. A little bit of luck may have also played a part. The book is very striking and not typical among other 44s; it will stand out and pop. I also may not agree with 8.0 but I can understand it. An exceptional 7.0 or 7.5 may be our shared opinion but since CGC only assigns 1 numbered grade, 8.0 may have been how they saw this on that day

Must've been the early bird after a night at the bar...

On 12/18/2020 at 11:15 AM, Corallas said:

I hear what your saying.

Now would this same logic apply to a book from the last 20 years in this same condition or is there some leniency because it is such a classic?

It really shouldn't have anything to do with the fact that the book is a classic or not. The leniency would likely be directed toward the light chipping and tearing on the right edge of the front cover, which is a very common flaw on many Silver Age Marvels. And it's sometimes easy to see books in the holder and question the grade because the flaws are in plain sight, but as a buyer it can be very helpful. In this case, no grading notes are needed...  

On 12/18/2020 at 4:45 AM, The Lions Den said:

What's really nice about buying slabbed books is you can pass on them if you disagree with the grade...  :whistle:

Yup. That's the best part of it. How eager all sellers are to remedy a buyer displeased with a CGC graded book. Even if the listing states, "Since this is a third party graded comic this is sold as is, no returns". :banana:

On 12/18/2020 at 9:15 AM, Corallas said:

I hear what your saying.

Now would this same logic apply to a book from the last 20 years in this same condition or is there some leniency because it is such a classic?

Many years ago, long before CGC existed, the consensus was that since so many SA Marvels suffered from this defect, that it wouldn't knock the grades as much. By the time I started collecting bigtime in the mid-1970s, it was the industry standard.

I think there are a few examples of CGC allowing a defect in some modern books, based on paper stock issues and such, but I don't really collect or deal in modern books

On 12/19/2020 at 3:58 PM, The Lions Den said:

It really shouldn't have anything to do with the fact that the book is a classic or not. The leniency would likely be directed toward the light chipping and tearing on the right edge of the front cover, which is a very common flaw on many Silver Age Marvels. And it's sometimes easy to see books in the holder and question the grade because the flaws are in plain sight, but as a buyer it can be very helpful. In this case, no grading notes are needed...  

Makes sense thanks

On 12/19/2020 at 7:45 PM, shadroch said:

Many years ago, long before CGC existed, the consensus was that since so many SA Marvels suffered from this defect, that it wouldn't knock the grades as much. By the time I started collecting bigtime in the mid-1970s, it was the industry standard.

I think there are a few examples of CGC allowing a defect in some modern books, based on paper stock issues and such, but I don't really collect or deal in modern books

Gotcha 

Personally,  I wouldn't be able to assign any better than 6.0 to that particular book. I realize chipping was a problem for some Marvel Silver Age books, but not all of them. That's the first appearance of the Wasp, and there is a big difference in value of 8.0 compared to 7.0 and below. I can't picture mycomicshop ever grading this book so high, and if was in a PGX slab, it would be ridiculed here.

; it will stand out and pop. I also may not agree with 8.0 but I can understand it. An exceptional 7.0 or 7.5 may be our shared opinion but since CGC only assigns 1 numbered grade, 8.0 may have been how they saw this on that day.   Nox Vidmate VLC

Edited by jitasaw

The book is a 6.5, but was awarded .5 for the Marvel chipping isn't a defect at this grade rule, .5 for the comic more than 50 years old rule, and .5 for the coin flip when on the grade bubble rule.

On 12/24/2020 at 12:33 PM, Pat Thomas said:

Personally,  I wouldn't be able to assign any better than 6.0 to that particular book. I realize chipping was a problem for some Marvel Silver Age books, but not all of them. That's the first appearance of the Wasp, and there is a big difference in value of 8.0 compared to 7.0 and below. I can't picture mycomicshop ever grading this book so high, and if was in a PGX slab, it would be ridiculed here.

That's one of the great things about freedom of choice...

Edited by The Lions Den

8 hours ago, rjpb said:

The book is a 6.5, but was awarded .5 for the Marvel chipping isn't a defect at this grade rule, .5 for the comic more than 50 years old rule, and .5 for the coin flip when on the grade bubble rule.

This made me laugh :)