• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on this ASM 3
1 1

39 posts in this topic

Hi all, I bought this book a few years back when I started to get into slabs a bit, it was a good deal and the pgx label didn't bother me.  Now I'd like to get it into a CGC slab to match my other early issues but those horror stories of the other guys have me a bit concerned.  I've looked at lots of pics of this issue online and it doesn't appear to be trimmed (my biggest fear with how clean the top and side edge are) it matches up size wise with my issue 2 as well.  Just thought I'd see what you guys think if it's a safe bet to crack it and get it over to CGC. PGX graders notes are: corner chip back cover, cover and edge wear, 1" crease front cover

IMG_3541.jpeg

IMG_3546.jpeg

7 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

This is not a bad looking copy, but keep in mind that CGC usually grades a little tougher than those other guys. Good luck...:wishluck:

I know, I'm not too worried about losing a grade but it's the fear of getting a PLOD surprise that scares me.

19 minutes ago, sledgehammer said:

yes. The Spider Man pin up page.

Yes. Which is why the market value of this book will be boosted even if CGC grades it a little less because a potential buyer familiar with the differences between the grading services will be assured that it's complete. 

1 hour ago, PINWHEEL said:

I know, I'm not too worried about losing a grade but it's the fear of getting a PLOD surprise that scares me.

From what I can see, it doesn't appear to be trimmed. But if it's there, CGC will find it. As others here have said, I'd be more concerned about the interior...that's a real deal-breaker.  

2 hours ago, PINWHEEL said:

You’d be happier keeping it in that slab than you would finding out how it actually should be graded?

For me, I’d wanna know for sure. I wouldn’t be happy knowing I had a “PGX who knows what grade this really is “ when I could send to the best in the biz for verification and to ease all my queries. And if it is restored or trimmed, lesson learned on who to avoid. At least you would know and could decide to keep or seek out something other than the Wolf in sheep’s clothing that this was.

All said, looks fine to me. Might dip to a 5.0 but still has a shot at 5.5 I think

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

From what I can see, it doesn't appear to be trimmed. But if it's there, CGC will find it. As others here have said, I'd be more concerned about the interior...that's a real deal-breaker.  

+1 on the trim. Good call. I don't think that's too likely either. I don't see any overt tells of trim here, front or back.

55 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

+1 on the trim. Good call. I don't think that's too likely either. I don't see any overt tells of trim here, front or back.

Thanks JJJ. And if you get a chance, please check out the Hulk #1 in the Resto forum...I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. hm

I didn't get back into collecting until early 2016 but if I remember correctly the really bad issues with PGX were early on.  I'm not saying I would ever allow PGX to grade a book of mine, but I think your chances of getting a blue label is way up after a certain date.  I know there are many long time boardies who know the date ranges of the really iffy books.