• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC 100 pagers are a Bad Investment

62 posts in this topic

You're welcome about the batman 257 I needed that one. I need 252, 256 and 267 to have 250 - 300 completed. I'll buy either of thoses DC-8's mentioned above by silver and paperheart if they are 9.4 or above. There's one 9.4 in the registry. I've been looking at every con I go to, and every online backissue place that I know of for 3 years now. nada zip. I have a 9.0 or 9.2 ungraded, but I haven't sent it in yet. I almost bought that 9.2 that greggy sold, but the owner backed out.

You're welcome about the batman 257 I needed that one. I need 252, 256 and 267 to have 250 - 300 completed. I'll buy either of thoses DC-8's mentioned above by silver and paperheart if they are 9.4 or above. There's one 9.4 in the registry. I've been looking at every con I go to, and every online backissue place that I know of for 3 years now. nada zip. I have a 9.0 or 9.2 ungraded, but I haven't sent it in yet. I almost bought that 9.2 that greggy sold, but the owner backed out.

Buying a book from Jason is always imPressive. smirk.gif

Was he the guy I sold that book to when it was a 9.2? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Naw. Couldn't be.

Maybe you buy a book and flip it and make $100. Woo hoo. Do it 100 times in a row, and you've made $10,000. Again, woohoo. No one's getting rich off that.

10k is now pocket change, eh? Can I bum a grand for a pack of cigarettes? How about 2k, I've got to use a payphone tomorrow? poke2.gif

"Maybe you buy a book and flip it and make $100. Woo hoo."

In my neck of the woods, $200 a day is the take-home on roughly an $80K salary.

Granted, were it so easy to make two $100 flips a day, everyone would be doing it.

Maybe you buy a book and flip it and make $100. Woo hoo. Do it 100 times in a row, and you've made $10,000. Again, woohoo. No one's getting rich off that.

10k is now pocket change, eh? Can I bum a grand for a pack of cigarettes? How about 2k, I've got to use a payphone tomorrow? poke2.gif

Don't get me wrong, fellas.... if I woke up and found $10k under the pillow, I'd be a very happy lad.

My point is that for making real money (ie, money you can earn a living off of, or even a nice second income) comics can be a very tough game. Especially nowadays with the huge price jumps between a 9.2, a 9.4, and a 9.6.

I was at a nice comic shop in Hamilton, Ontario last week and the owner said he sold a really nice raw Adams Batman book (can't remember the number) for $600. The buyer immediately submitted it. If it comes back a 9.4 or better, the guy makes money. If it comes back 9.2, he loses. Not for me, no thanks.

Shep

My point is that for making real money (ie, money you can earn a living off of, or even a nice second income) comics can be a very tough game. Especially nowadays with the huge price jumps between a 9.2, a 9.4, and a 9.6.

Most of the collectors here aren't full-time dealers (which is what you would have to do to make "real money"). Most are casual collectors who flip when it makes sense and use the money for something else.

If you're smart, you're flipping profits pays for your losses (like the 1000 comics you bought off the stands to read that aren't worth much of anything).

If you're really smart (and lucky), you can flip HG BA and use the profits to buy your grails books. grin.gif

I believe there are 1000's of high grade 100 pagers that have not been submitted yet. A glut waiting to happen.

I bought the Monterey set of DC 100 Page Super Spectacular in the late 80's. Very nice set. They will never see slabs, and I will never part with them.

The Monterey collection had the full set? 893whatthe.gifhail.gif Just out of curiousity, what grade would you put the #4 at?

Let me be more precise about the Monterey set of DC 100 Page Super Spectacular ...

The 4 is a very nice book, but there is a slight fingerprint on the cover, so it probably doesn't compare to the top copies.

The 5 was missing. I spoke to the original owner and he said he simply never saw one, he said the book must of had limited distribution, because he did look for it, especially once he saw the #6 come out. I eneded up getting a fine copy of #5 from an ad I ran in the old newspaper style CBG.

The 6 is a really nice book.

7-14 were not really 100 Page Super Spec, there were part of the series they were numbered in (DC-8 = Batman 238 etc.) Eighty Page Giants are the same way, 1-15 are the "80 Page Giant" series, 16-80 something are numbered into their respective titles. So therefore the original owner sold me DC 100 Page SS 4,6,15-22 as a "set"

15-22 are georgous.

I did go back and pick up the 7-14 from other sources to have a complete set.

My DC-8 is nice, but not nice enough for you guys to get excited about. tongue.gif Curiously, when I went to look for it last night, I realized that I too had it filed in with Batman titles as #238, not in DC 100 Page SS as DC-8.

#4, #5, and DC-8 (Batman 238) are the 3 most sought after 100 pagers in high grade, are they not?

I really don't know if this is true or not, but I always thought that #6 and Superman 252 were in that top tier list with the Batman 238. Those Adams wraparound covers are so awesome.

#4, #5, and DC-8 (Batman 238) are the 3 most sought after 100 pagers in high grade, are they not?

I really don't know if this is true or not, but I always thought that #6 and Superman 252 were in that top tier list with the Batman 238. Those Adams wraparound covers are so awesome.

I'd say those are the top 5! thumbsup2.gif

agreed. me, personally, i'm selling what I've accumulated mainly in the last 12 years + a bit that I put together as a kid. i haven't really been buying much off ebay with the hope of selling it on ebay, although i guess that would categorize the slabs I've bought over the last 3 - 4 years. i go to my local shops and shows here and NYC and try to pick up stuff that has been undervalued by dealers (at least in my eyes). when something sells, i've generally made money. granted, i only have about 2% of my collection up on ebay right now.

the goal is simple: to make enough money to pay for my little bouncing baby boy (not college, but the other stuff). not get rich.

I'd say those are the top 5! thumbsup2.gif

Agreed!

After that, I like Superman 245, Our Army at War 242, Adventure 416, and Witching Hour 38 (a personal favorite). And I'm a sucker for the romance books. The high numbers (YL 111-114 and YR 200-204 are especially tough in high grade).

The last #4 (Weird Mystery Tales) CGC 9.4 sold was 3 years ago for $739.40.

The Don Rosa copy of this book just listed on ebay!! 893whatthe.gif

Nice. But there are 6 higher graded copies, and 4 others in 9.0. I am telling myself I will wait for a 9.4. And that I can afford it when it shows up. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

(I have these delusions frequently).

For that matter...comics in general are a bad investment... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I agree, but particularly those lame-[embarrassing lack of self control], overstuffed, bargain-story 100-pagers - YUCK!

devil.gif

They should have just printed 3 books instead and made more of those lovely covers cloud9.gif

sumo.gif

For that matter...comics in general are a bad investment... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I agree, but particularly those lame-[embarrassing lack of self control], overstuffed, bargain-story 100-pagers - YUCK!

devil.gif

They should have just printed 3 books instead and made more of those lovely covers cloud9.gif

sumo.gif

I Crumple up Thor's and use them to light my fireplace in the winter.

devil.gifdevil.gif