• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alex Ross. JUNK of the highest order?

9 posts in this topic

i always thought he was overrated for a long time too (translation : his stuff is too expensive) . but i've recently made a deal for a Ross cover and i am smitten. His style is realistic and with the watercolors, it doesn't appeal to alot of people. I think his overexposure also comes from being involved in many mainstream projects. But I think that it's a good thing and gives our hobby more exposure and it also raises prices.

Amazing artist, slightly/somewhat overpriced. Although that said, a piece is always worth what someone is willing to pay for it. And people are consistently willing to pay for Ross' work. So therefore it must be priced properly wink.gif

He's one of very few artists who crosses over into the "art world" as well, hence the higher prices (by our estimation). But if there were an art collector, who also collects comic art, on this board I doubt they'd think he was overpriced. I can't tell you how many pieces by relative unknowns in the "Art" world sell for Alex Ross level prices.

I had never seen one of his originals in person before buying my first page, and even though I "overpaid" it was worth it upon examination. Amazing detail that I hadn't even seen on the printed page.

Overrated and overpriced. His sequential work is sub-par... Uncle Sam in particular. He has a great gimmick going for him with his covers and splash pages, but he really shows his weaknesss in his panel layouts and sequential storytelling. Basically, I'm tired of him. Market-wise, his work is plentiful, including finished work, prelims and sketches. I don't consider him a good investment.

iam not a big fan of ross .s artwork. its ok. i don,t own any and really don,t have the desire to own any of his stuff . but i do like the new stuff that,s being done for dc. with him and doug brathwaite. so in the near future i may get a page of the ross / braithwaite art from the comic series.

larry ;]