• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are you buying from the bronze age?

104 posts in this topic

The new year will have me buying BA Thor's in HG - would be sooner if all these saps (you know who you are) weren't getting married this fall. poke2.gif Actually the Aussie wedding is the real pocketbook killer. I'm buying the Northland copy of HOM 174 - one day that 893censored-thumb.gif book will be mine.

BA Batman (as a rule I pay 5% more the October Fire - until he gets out of college) devil.gif Other than that, I'm kinda lying Low right now having bought my big BA key this year (GSX 1). VFish SA has been catching my eye lately, as has Pre-Code Horror so it might be fewer more expensive book in those 2 genres for the upcoming year.

The new year will have me buying BA Thor's in HG - would be sooner if all these saps (you know who you are) weren't getting married this fall. poke2.gif Actually the Aussie wedding is the real pocketbook killer. I'm buying the Northland copy of HOM 174 - one day that 893censored-thumb.gif book will be mine.

Where's the HOM 174?? confused-smiley-013.gif

VFish SA has been catching my eye lately, as has Pre-Code Horror so it might be fewer more expensive book in those 2 genres for the upcoming year.

Aren't you a bit young to be collecting GA? 27_laughing.gifpoke2.gif

I'm buying the Northland copy of HOM 174

893censored-thumb.gif

BA Batman (as a rule I pay 5% more the October Fire - until he gets out of college) devil.gif

893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif

I'm out....it just doesn't make any difference yet. crazy.gif

YET being the key word. Andy, once that you are working as a full fledged attorney, how do you think your interests and buying habits will change. Certainly you'll be able to afford more expensive books, but that doesn't mean you'll want to buy them.

I'm buying House of Mystery and House of Secrets, as well as Neal Adams Detectives and Batmans. Gernally speaking, all in 8.5 to 9.2ish condition, raw.

foreheadslap.gif Another guy with my exact same collecting and grade interests.

Seriously. It's getting crowded in here! 893whatthe.gif

I've been re-buying some of my 70's JLA's & Secret Society Of Supervillians in better shape. Only a handful left to go. Besides that, on a secondary list, I've been plugging away at the Adventures with Aquaman (440's), Batman Family, Superboy & The Legion Of Superheroes, Superteam Family & some Avengers.

The best part of the Bronze Age collecting for me is it brings back memories of seeing a lot of these on the newstand when I was a kid.

I'm still all over the place as i'm going through my old stuff and basically rediscovering what i really have. I have just been collecting the regular weekly LCS books over the last few years. I'm starting to get on a marvel horror kick after seeing and rebagging (mylar) my old books from that time.

I really want some early HG moon knight appearances but they are so high so I might start moving to some DC (Batman, Flash) was never a superman fan or DC horror fan for some reason, but maybe someday. It is just fun going through my boxes and rebagging the good stuff to see what i have smile.gif

I've been re-buying some of my 70's JLA's & Secret Society Of Supervillians in better shape. Only a handful left to go. Besides that, on a secondary list, I've been plugging away at the Adventures with Aquaman (440's), Batman Family, Superboy & The Legion Of Superheroes, Superteam Family & some Avengers.

The best part of the Bronze Age collecting for me is it brings back memories of seeing a lot of these on the newstand when I was a kid.

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

One of the first #1 issues I bought off the spinner rack after I switched over from Archie and Richie Rich to DC and Marvel...

secretsociety1.jpg

I am trying to get a copy of Hulk 181 in every CGC grade. I find the lower grades don't come up for sale very often. Did they all go into hands of collectors or people just figure its not worth selling?

Now THAT'S an interesting collecting style I've never heard of before, but hey, that's cool. Just curious, what made you want to go this route?

Where's the HOM 174?? confused-smiley-013.gif

VFish SA has been catching my eye lately, as has Pre-Code Horror so it might be fewer more expensive book in those 2 genres for the upcoming year.

Aren't you a bit young to be collecting GA? 27_laughing.gifpoke2.gif

I do not know where the HOM 174 is right now. In the now infamous Wonder Con 2 years ago I passed because I have bought an X-Men 6 about 2 hours before it was waved in front of my face.

It was then sold on Ebay twice, about a year ago within the span of 2 months, I have contacted the first seller and will be in touch with the second shortly.

Technically the Pre-Codes ARE ATOMIC AGE BOOKS. Quite frankly I consider EC's to be the true Golden age of Comicbookdom a few Early GA keys aside.

Outside of the main runs the rest of GA is cow dung, in that I can draw and write better than 90% of it - and I can't draw very well. poke2.gifsumo.gif

Now THAT'S an interesting collecting style I've never heard of before, but hey, that's cool. Just curious, what made you want to go this route?

Here's the sequence of events which led me to this point... gossip.gif

Initially, I just wanted a single mid-grade copy for my Hulk collection. So I finally managed to get myself to spend the money. I got a copy raw copy on ebay advertised as an 8.0. Not suprisingly, when I got it, I felt it was overgraded and I was particularly unhappy with the creamy page colors foreheadslap.gif. So I kept shopping. Next I got a super deal on ebay with a BIN of $150 which I couldn't pass up. Now I had 2 copies. One day, I was at the local comic shop and I saw a copy which I bargained down to a deal that I couldn't pass up 893applaud-thumb.gif. Total now was 3. What kept bothering me was that I still didnt't have a decent 7.5-8.0 copy Christo_pull_hair.gif. So I decided that I would just bite the bullet and buy a 7.5-8.0 slabbed copy and sell the ones I had later. So I got what looked like a nice 7.5 copy. At this point, I also started sending the copies I had acquired earlier to CGC. While I was waiting for my comics to come back from CGC, I bought 2 more. I now had 7. I guess what kept prompting me to buy more copies was that I didn't have a single 7.5-8.0 copy that I was completely satified with frustrated.gif Now, I'll admit, it also felt kinda cool to have 7 copies, and so when I saw a signature series come up for sale, I just had to add it to my collection. We're at 8.

My girlfriend started to get on my case. "HOW MANY COPIES OF 181 DOES A PERSON NEED!!!" makepoint.gif. Which brought forth a discussion about whether it's better to have many mid-grade copies or 1 high grade copy. I said I would rather have many copies and she felt it was better to have a single high grade copy. So I pondered this awhile and decided to go after a CGC 9.0 takeit.gif, and sell some of my mid-grade copies later (cause I was too lazy to do it at the time). Now, the comics I had sent in to CGC started to come back. And they were all coming back in different grades 893whatthe.gif! At which point I realized that I was starting to amass a collection of 181 in every grade! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I have bought 1 more copy since then which puts my current count at 9. Almost all in different grades. And so, rather than sell any, I decided to keep them all and try to complete a collection of one in every grade cloud9.gif. So that's the whole story. grin.gif27_laughing.gif

That's actually a pretty cool idea. And what'll be really cool is when you need that final 0.5 copy to round out your collection, you can pull out one of your nicer copies and trash it until it's a 0.5. crazy.gif

Here's the sequence of events which led me to this point... gossip.gif

Initially, I just wanted a single mid-grade copy for my Hulk collection. So I finally managed to get myself to spend the money. I got a copy raw copy on ebay advertised as an 8.0. Not suprisingly, when I got it, I felt it was overgraded and I was particularly unhappy with the creamy page colors foreheadslap.gif. So I kept shopping. Next I got a super deal on ebay with a BIN of $150 which I couldn't pass up. Now I had 2 copies. One day, I was at the local comic shop and I saw a copy which I bargained down to a deal that I couldn't pass up 893applaud-thumb.gif. Total now was 3. What kept bothering me was that I still didnt't have a decent 7.5-8.0 copy Christo_pull_hair.gif. So I decided that I would just bite the bullet and buy a 7.5-8.0 slabbed copy and sell the ones I had later. So I got what looked like a nice 7.5 copy. At this point, I also started sending the copies I had acquired earlier to CGC. While I was waiting for my comics to come back from CGC, I bought 2 more. I now had 7. I guess what kept prompting me to buy more copies was that I didn't have a single 7.5-8.0 copy that I was completely satified with frustrated.gif Now, I'll admit, it also felt kinda cool to have 7 copies, and so when I saw a signature series come up for sale, I just had to add it to my collection. We're at 8.

My girlfriend started to get on my case. "HOW MANY COPIES OF 181 DOES A PERSON NEED!!!" makepoint.gif. Which brought forth a discussion about whether it's better to have many mid-grade copies or 1 high grade copy. I said I would rather have many copies and she felt it was better to have a single high grade copy. So I pondered this awhile and decided to go after a CGC 9.0 takeit.gif, and sell some of my mid-grade copies later (cause I was too lazy to do it at the time). Now, the comics I had sent in to CGC started to come back. And they were all coming back in different grades 893whatthe.gif! At which point I realized that I was starting to amass a collection of 181 in every grade! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I have bought 1 more copy since then which puts my current count at 9. Almost all in different grades. And so, rather than sell any, I decided to keep them all and try to complete a collection of one in every grade cloud9.gif. So that's the whole story. grin.gif27_laughing.gif

Hey, thanks for the "origin" of your #181 collection. It's always interesting to learn how systems like that get started. Next, you need to start with ASM #129 in every CGC grade. tongue.gif

By the way, it is cool that your girlfriend is interested enough in your collecting to debate you about which grades to go for. thumbsup2.gif

By the way, it is cool that your girlfriend is interested enough in your collecting to debate you about which grades to go for.

No [embarrassing lack of self control]! Can I get her phone number? stooges.gif

Be warned that for every one hulk 181 I have in my collection, she must have at least 5 Louis Vuitton purses!!!! tonofbricks.gif

I kid you not! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif