• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are you buying from the bronze age?

104 posts in this topic

Just wanted to see what people out there were buying and what they think the bronze age market will do over the next few years.I am currently buying Horror First apperances such as Sabretooth as well as completeing runs of Avengers and Captain America up to issue 200 on Avengers and 214 on Cap.i have also been buying runs of books in high grade from other main Marvel titles from the late 70's up to very early 80's all raw and great looking copies.I am currently looking for high grade Green Lantern and Flash books from the 70's.What are you guys buying both in terms of CGC and raw?

I'm still looking to complete my " 70's " run of Cracked magazine. I have maybe half of them not including all the numerous "REAL BIG CRACKED" reprint versions.

Tough to find at shows. Looking mainly for inexpensive VG/ F...

Got burned real bad on eBay a few months ago. My forty dollars worth of "excellent condition" books went immediately into my paper recycle bins...ALL of them....just for the satisfaction of doing it...man, was I angry!!

frustrated.gif

Any high grade raw Marvel Bronze I don't own, I am interested in buying. Not always able to buy, but interested.

Where's your want list??? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That IS my want list. =)

And I'm not really very able to buy right now. Curse this board and its members for sucking up all my disposable income!

Month from now I should be all caught up paying down the CC after buying some sparkly rocks and losing my shirt in Vegas.

God, what don't I want to buy?

I'm a bi-atch for DC. Now that my bronze war runs (Our Fighting Forces, Our Army War, GI Combat, Weird War, Star Spangled, Men of War and Blitzkrieg) are nearly complete, I've been LOVING the DC horror titles. House of Secrets is complete (minus a nice 92) and House of Mystery is coming along. Even the lesser titles like Witching Hour, Ghosts and Unexpected are great - but lower on the priority list.

Trying to get all these books in the 9.2-9.4 range is getting beyond me now, though. I'm loving the value on 9.0s from this era.

The more I see of the Batman and Romance books, the more I want in. I've got the fever so bad, I've been seriously thinking about selling my 1950s/60s DC and Atlas war runs to finance more high grade bronze runs of those titles.

DC bronze. Man, those guys got it so right. I keep tripping over really nice books that I've never seen before (largely thanks to this list!) things like Tomahawk in particular. Neal Adams was a one man wrecking crew when he got on titles like that. And Wrightson, Kubert, Heath, Cardy, Dominguez, etc. etc. It's a big freakin' buffet.

Shep

Only book on my list at the moment is GL#85 (Have an #86 coming to me courtesy of my man, October).

ASM #121 would be nice, but I'm not actively pursuing one at the moment. Same goes for Xmen #94.

I am all about the BA.

I am going after the few remaining Adams Batmans and Tecs I still need (finally got a nice copy of 251 from Chrisco hail.gif).

Also going for the first 2-3 years worth of every bronze DC horror series, Marvel keys, 100 pagers, Adams Green Lantern issues, and Tomb of Dracula.

DC bronze. Man, those guys got it so right. I keep tripping over really nice books that I've never seen before (largely thanks to this list!) things like Tomahawk in particular. Neal Adams was a one man wrecking crew when he got on titles like that. And Wrightson, Kubert, Heath, Cardy, Dominguez, etc. etc. It's a big freakin' buffet.

Shep, where does Weird Western Tales and Jonah Hex fit in there for you? Do you have them already? Do you prefer the Horror to them?

Speaking of the Batman books, Povertyrow (in his big bronze "discovery" buying kick that at least spanned Wondercon to Golden State con) termed a lot of them "hero horror." The early seventies ones are quite gothic at times.

I just love the Detective 100-pagers I sent to NR. 438 is the first Batman comic I ever had (I still have my destroyed copy, coverless and possibly missing one wrap) and it has a stellar Haunting of Wayne Manor story with a ghost breaker, fantastic Aparo rainy backgrounds, etc. Batman himself is quite spooky. 440 was the second one I ever had and it has a haunted mountain story and again, fabulous art. Toss in ground-breaking Manhunter stories and classic reprints and those were quite a deal back in the day. Still are.

Marc

P.S.--I can thank Manhunter for being the first seven-year-old on my block to know what Interpol was. grin.gifgrin.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Detective Comics 443 was my "desert island" choice (If you could bring only 1 book along, etc.).

-The Goodwin/Simonson Batman/Manhunter classic showdown.

-Ditko's Creeper origin reprint

-Alex Toth's GL reprint

-The Spectre Golden Age reprint

-a Jerry Robinson illustrated Golden Age Batman & Robin

cloud9.gif

I'm all about Bronze too. My main focus is DC horror, all anthology titles but I skip books like Swamp Thing. I've also recently added DC War to my collecting interests. Cool books but the covers don't come close to the horror books. Regarding superheroes, I'm a Detective and Batman guy, but I've recently started on The Flash as well. Not too much into Marvel Bronze anymore. I bought all my copies of TOD and WBN along with Morbius, Man-Wolf, etc. a while ago and I have no desire to buy any more. I'm always on the lookout though for more of the DC books that are priced nice and in a decent grade. I do not collect runs at all, so if I already have ten copies of a book that is OK, I'll buy more. My preference is to go with the cool covers, and "flip potential" down the road is also a factor.

I just wanted to add to my previous comment that I also tried to collect Bronze Age DC Romance. But it was just so tough that I had to give it up. The 100-pagers in low to mid-grade are easy to come by. But finding ANY copy of many other issues is next to impossible. I certainly have alot of respect for those few that have amassed a nice collection of DC BA romance books. Besides Greggy and maybe a few others, there are not many that have.

I collect Marvel PictureFrame issues from 71-72 in high grade, and am looking predominantly for the HTF reprint, western, romance, funny animal, and super-hero titles from the era. When I started, I thought it would be a pretty easy task...just throw some money out there, go to a few cons, submit want lists to big dealers, etc. But the HTF stuff is just that, at least in 9.2 or better. I may be the only one with an interest in some of the PictureFrame issues of Millie the Model, Chili, Harvey, L'il Kids, L'il Pals, Our Love Story, My Love, etc. but that doesn't mean there is a supply to meet the limited demand.