• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CLERKS the Comic Book .. visual tells

7 posts in this topic

Well in case you've been asleep the last 7 years, you recognize the importance of Kevin Smith to fandom and comic books. the new Clerks movie (Passion of the Clerks) is in pre-production and there is talk of a comic tie-in. Smith all but offered the job to Jim Mahfood (Wha huh??, Stupid Comics, Grrl Scouts) on Mahfood's appearance on FanBoy radio, who readily accepted. NOW... assuming the movie doesn't suck... one can reasonably accept that the price/demand for Clerks the Comic Book will go up. SO ARM YOURSELF WELL young investors!

Clerks The Comic Book #nn, Oni Press 1998; 4 printings to date

1st; $2.95 cvr; Says 1st printing; Titz magazine is red-pink with blue lettering

clerks_mahfood05.jpg

2nd; $2.95 cvr; Says 2nd printing you lazy cocksmokers; Titz magazine is orange with red lettering

3rd; $2.95 cvr; Says 3rd printing…; Titz magazine is orange with red lettering

clerks_2-3.jpg

4th; $2.95 cvr; Says 4th printing what choo want Grizzly Adams, Titz magazine is blue with yellow lettering; UPC barcode added to front cover

clerks_4th.jpg

Well in case you've been asleep the last 7 years, you recognize the importance of Kevin Smith to fandom and comic books. the new Clerks movie (Passion of the Clerks) is in pre-production and there is talk of a comic tie-in. Smith all but offered the job to Jim Mahfood (Wha huh??, Stupid Comics, Grrl Scouts) on Mahfood's appearance on FanBoy radio, who readily accepted. NOW... assuming the movie doesn't suck... one can reasonably accept that the price/demand for Clerks the Comic Book will go up. SO ARM YOURSELF WELL young investors!

I'd rather shoot myself in the face.

I'd rather shoot myself in the face.

sign-funnypost.gifthumbsup2.gif

not a Smith fan?

Not a Smith fan, ESPECIALLY in the context of comics. Maybe if he actually followed through on his comics projects and acted like he cared, then I'd think more highly of him in spite of not liking anything he's ever done in any medium, but with the way he left fandom hanging? Forget it.

Smith isn't "important" in the sense that he's ever brought any meaningful work or recognition to the medium. He's a guy who had one decent movie in him (Clerks) and an interesting idea for another (Dogma) that his lack of skill as a filmmaker failed to bring to life in a satisfactory way. The fact that he honestly likes comics, as opposed to the Jennifer Garners who like them as long as their in a comic book movie, got him a couple jobs as a comic book writer. Other than that, overwrought dialogue and a topless Joey Lauren Adams is all he's given us.

That said, a new Clerks movie might bring some renewed interest in the book, so for that it's good that you privide the visual guide. But no one's going to get rich off flipping them.

Ouch.

I would give Smith more credit than that. Like Joss Whedon, he has a large and avid fan following for his film work, so by embracing comic books as publicly as Smith (and Whedon) have brought attention to comic books - which, to be frank, is NOT a bad thing at all.

Personally, I've enjoyed all of his films (except maybe Jersey Girl), and his comics haven't been terrible. The Green Arrow and Daredevil story arcs were entertaining enough.

The Clerks comics weren't bad either, but I wouldn't be naive enough to think that a new Clerks movie will suddenly make these books hot again. The Smith audience is already well aware that these books exist and would be more interested in pursuing the collected editions than early printings of the first comic.