• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Same name, different company?

25 posts in this topic

Just curious, how many companies have comic book characters with the same names? I saw in another topic here that both DC and Marvel had characters named "Dazzler".

I also finished a run of MTIO recently, and I was surprised to see this cover:

2182_4_018.jpg

I never knew that Marvel had a Scarecrow character. Like most people, when I hear "Scarecrow", I think of the classic Batman villain.

Captain Marvel is another example that comes to mind. How many other character names have been used by Marvel and DC? How many have resulted in lawsuits?

Marvel had another Punisher - some kind of robot that fought Iron Man (I think).  I was very disappointed to discover that in the 80's when I was tracking down Frank Castle Punisher appearances.

Ultraman - Japanese manga and DC Crime Syndicate

Enchantress - Marvel and DC

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 hours ago, seanfingh said:

Marvel had another Punisher - some kind of robot that fought Iron Man (I think).  I was very disappointed to discover that in the 80's when I was tracking down Frank Castle Punisher appearances.

Yeah, he fought the Fantastic Four.

First appearance in FF49 (I think).

P3iIFeB.jpg

2 hours ago, seanfingh said:

Two Nightcrawlers as well, one hyphenated.

672337.jpg

Both at Marvel, though.

Edited by Ken Aldred

45 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

Isn’t that the same Ghost Rider just a different publisher though?

The Magazine Enterprises Ghost Rider from 1949 was Rex Fury, which is surely the basis for Marvel’s Ghost Rider (later Phantom Rider) from 1967, but is a different character altogether named Carter Slade.

12 minutes ago, Electricmastro said:

The Magazine Enterprises Ghost Rider from 1949 was Rex Fury, which is surely the basis for Marvel’s Ghost Rider (later Phantom Rider) from 1967, but is a different character altogether named Carter Slade.

"Ghost Riders in the Sky" was released in 1948.

ware%252Bjimmy%252Bclinic%252Bpage.jpg&f

Indie masterpiece Jimmy Corrigan,

and...

1corriganjpg-3a47ec_1280w.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Jim Corrigan, The Spectre

Edited by Ken Aldred