• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sub-Grades Changes

28 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Dom Fonce said:

So, flippers are ruining the system. Some people actually want to keep the cards they get graded, regardless of their value. Those people are called collectors.

Collectors generally only get cards graded when the financial value gets to the point where you feel like it needs protection or you want to increase its value/liquidity in case you decide to sell eventually.w

16 hours ago, sellerservicescorp said:

Some people for collection uniformity want to either have all subgrades or no subgrades... Me personally I think the cases look better with the subgrades on them. So if I am going after completing a set I'm going to send in the lower value cards with subgrades as well, as I I think they display better.

I have some of my PC graded, but I can't reasonably come up with an excuse for why something like this exist. 1st Ed Shadowless or maybe just Shadowless i'll bite. This though? 

Edited by Yeahiwasder4dat

29 minutes ago, Yeahiwasder4dat said:

I have some of my PC graded, but I can't reasonably come up with a reason for why something like this exist. 1st Ed Shadowless or maybe just Shadowless i'll bite. This though? Screenshot_20210131-161231.thumb.jpg.956433a4cf911fbac39f38ad32748e2b.jpg

I got you beat on that lol. I found this for sale online. The person who graded this has to be a psycho

Screenshot_20210131-170632.png

If it was someone doing it for PC I might(big maybe) understand. Like if you're an Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam display kinda person. Trying to flip a .99 cent Abra by sending it through with subs🤔. Don't want to give away too much info for someone to find the auction but let's say their asking price is something that would never, ever be paid. Trying to flip a .99 card by sending it through with subgrades. That's the kind of mess that needs to be priced out.

There's a time and a place for everything. Flooding grading companies with cards like this is why we have an issue. Collector or flipper. The price hikes may be their way of forcing rationality upon us as we've proven incapable of doing it ourselves.

Edited by Yeahiwasder4dat

On 1/30/2021 at 9:10 AM, mattyzeepgam said:

They are probably tired of giving garbage cards subgrades and tired of new stuff flooding the walkthroughs. 

I wish CGC would lose customers so I can get my stuff back quicker LOL. I mean, where are you going to go instead? PSA to where you can wait 6-8 months for a bulk return and have them give you all 9s on your stuff making them worth as much as cgc stuff anyway? 

Uhhh isn't that how cards are graded in the first place? They calculate the score based on the subgrades. It takes an extra 5 days to print the subgrades? Are they etching them in stone if so I can loan them a printer or two..? Subgrades keep grading companies accountable to their score. They shouldn't be rewarded for an arbitrary price raise that doesn't make sense in the first place other than the fact it's a popular service.

Edited by Reg526

5 hours ago, content808 said:

the increase to turn around is due to the data entry that they have to do. try sub grades on a 100 card bulk submission

Oh yes those decimal points can be tricky I can see why it takes an extra 5 days to enter them into the system... If anything you could say it’s research on the cards that take so long but you can’t charge more for sub grades at that point could you? It’s an arbitrary price increase they already use the sub grades to calculate the score but to print them so you can see them you have to pay more and wait 5 extra days. It’s literally just charging more to print them on the card that’s it.

10 minutes ago, Reg526 said:

Oh yes those decimal points can be tricky I can see why it takes an extra 5 days to enter them into the system... If anything you could say it’s research on the cards that take so long but you can’t charge more for sub grades at that point could you? It’s an arbitrary price increase they already use the sub grades to calculate the score but to print them so you can see them you have to pay more and wait 5 extra days. It’s literally just charging more to print them on the card that’s it.

There may be more to it than that. If they do it like other companies and at least 2 graders look at the card and if two graders disagree on sub grades but the overall grade is the same case closed, it's out the door. What happens if they disagree on subs? Does it go to another person to make the decision on whether that sub grade is a 9 or an 8.5? I'm sure the price and time increase is reflective of more than just typing it in.