• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sub-Grades Changes

28 posts in this topic

I’m okay with the price increase for the most part the 50% increase for walkthrough seems a bit steep but what ever I can deal with that my issue is how can you guys increase the price of subgrades and the turnaround times together??? I think that’s I really bad decision and I hope you guys rethink this. Usually people pay more for shorter wait times not vice versa, it will be a minimum of 104.75 to grade one card through walkthrough option with the new prices and also change the turnaround times from 3 business days to 8 this in my opinion will make cgc lose customers... I enjoy cgc’s professionalism however this is a huge turn off for me.

They are probably tired of giving garbage cards subgrades and tired of new stuff flooding the walkthroughs. 

I wish CGC would lose customers so I can get my stuff back quicker LOL. I mean, where are you going to go instead? PSA to where you can wait 6-8 months for a bulk return and have them give you all 9s on your stuff making them worth as much as cgc stuff anyway? 

4 minutes ago, mattyzeepgam said:

They are probably tired of giving garbage cards subgrades and tired of new stuff flooding the walkthroughs. 

I wish CGC would lose customers so I can get my stuff back quicker LOL. I mean, where are you going to go instead? PSA to where you can wait 6-8 months for a bulk return and have them give you all 9s on your stuff making them worth as much as cgc stuff anyway? 

I second this, even for my own bulk submissions. Some of it needs to be culled. Weed out the cheaper stuff and keep high end stuff flowing through at a reasonable rate. I've seen some silly stuff graded that won't even pull the price of the grading fee. It'll stop people from sending in garbage blowing up turnaround times.

The price isn’t the issue here but paying more for longer wait times is just silly do one or the other don’t increase subgrade prices and then add 5 days wait time as well... the whole point is to pay more for less wait lol

11 minutes ago, Sawwed said:

The price isn’t the issue here but paying more for longer wait times is just silly do one or the other don’t increase subgrade prices and then add 5 days wait time as well... the whole point is to pay more for less wait lol

It's only for bulk, economy and standard. Again, most likely to stop subgrades on trash cards.

Generally speaking there's no reason to get subgrades on a card that's not even worth $100. So I'm assuming they're trying to weed it out by making it unreasonable vs not doing it at all. Why waste egregious amounts of time thoroughly inspecting a $20 card. Waste of resources and time. They still allow people to get it done if they really want it, but it's not prioritized and are going to make them pay.

Edited by Yeahiwasder4dat

I don’t personally send card worth less than 100 but if I want to use the walkthrough option I shouldn’t have to wait an extra 5 days turnaround time when paying $105 to get one card graded that’s bad business imo usually more fees means quicker turnaround time that’s kind of the point.

Screenshot_20210130-103140.thumb.jpg.78ce6fe93cb9754e0fc9429cee8cf716.jpg

22 minutes ago, Sawwed said:

I don’t personally send card worth less than 100 but if I want to use the walkthrough option I shouldn’t have to wait an extra 5 days turnaround time when paying $105 to get one card graded that’s bad business imo usually more fees means quicker turnaround time that’s kind of the point.

It doesn't affect WK and express turn around time.

43 minutes ago, Sawwed said:

Its probably not actually 5 days. They give conservative estimates all the time. So far I have yet to have a standard submission take more than 20 business days and its listed as 30 on the website. And that is keeping the holidays in mind.

And its just bad for you. Their business is fine. The grading market is the hottest its ever been. And CGC doesnt have good competition. PSA costs 500 for a walkthrough while Beckett is 125 and both are way slower. Where else do you think your going to go to?

1 hour ago, Yeahiwasder4dat said:

It's only for bulk, economy and standard. Again, most likely to stop subgrades on trash cards.

Generally speaking there's no reason to get subgrades on a card that's not even worth $100. So I'm assuming they're trying to weed it out by making it unreasonable vs not doing it at all. Why waste egregious amounts of time thoroughly inspecting a $20 card. Waste of resources and time. They still allow people to get it done if they really want it, but it's not prioritized and are going to make them pay.

Subgrades are only relevant if your card has a shot at a grade of 9 or higher, since if you can get a 10, its possible to get a perfect 10 similar to the black label BGS 10 and its only possible when subgrades are involved. Even on expensive cards that are damaged or not close to gem min arent even worth getting subgrades on. 

From my experience, the subgrades only add premiums to cards that have the potential to be perfect condition. The market doesnt care if your 7 or 8 or even a 9.5 has subgrades.  Its only worth it if you think your card can become a black label or in CGC's case, a perfect 10. And typically I dont waste my time on anything newer than Diamond Pearl sets minus a few exceptions such as HGSS Call of Legends or a Plasma Storm Charizard or any Secret Rare Charizard GX or secret rare Mewtwo GX. Everything else just isnt worth spending the extra money.

Edited by mattyzeepgam

5 minutes ago, mattyzeepgam said:

Subgrades are only relevant if your card has a shot at a grade of 9 or higher, since if you can get a 10, its possible to get a perfect 10 similar to the black label BGS 10 and its only possible when subgrades are involved. Even on expensive cards that are damaged or not close to gem min arent even worth getting subgrades on. 

From my experience, the subgrades only add premiums to cards that have the potential to be perfect condition. The market doesnt care if your 7 or 8 or even a 9.5 has subgrades.  Its only worth it if you think your card can become a black label or in CGC's case, a perfect 10. And typically I dont waste my time on anything newer than Diamond Pearl sets minus a few exceptions such as HGSS Call of Legends or a Plasma Storm Charizard or something unique and expensive. Even hidden fates or shining legends, which I dont like grading for the most part, the subs are a waste.

Sounds like pretty much what I do. Newer stuff just isn't flippable to me. I do sometimes struggle to figure out how some things will grade between services. Send vintage with silvering to psa, they dont seem to care. Send it to CGC, wondering if it'll get like a 7 instead. Still in the learning process on how some things will turn out.

2 minutes ago, Yeahiwasder4dat said:

Sounds like pretty much what I do. Newer stuff just isn't flippable to me. I do sometimes struggle to figure out how some things will grade between services. Send vintage with silvering to psa, they dont seem to care. Send it to CGC, wondering if it'll get like a 7 instead. Still in the learning process on how some things will turn out.

I buy new stuff for a certain price. If I get some of it very cheap then Ill pick up a bunch and send it in as bulk, but I typically learn towards stuff that is generally popular and typically secret rares like legendaries, charizards, mewtwos, starters, anything gen 1 or the female full art trainers. Anything outside of that threshold I dont bother with since its not very profitable. 

And CGC really harsh on the silvering? I been hearing about that. So weird that PSA doesnt care but CGC does. For PSA Im assuming you really have to have something with high dollar amounts since their waste times are insane and from my experience Ive dealt with inconsistencies with them for me to really trust them in general.

9 minutes ago, mattyzeepgam said:

I buy new stuff for a certain price. If I get some of it very cheap then Ill pick up a bunch and send it in as bulk, but I typically learn towards stuff that is generally popular and typically secret rares like legendaries, charizards, mewtwos, starters, anything gen 1 or the female full art trainers. Anything outside of that threshold I dont bother with since its not very profitable. 

And CGC really harsh on the silvering? I been hearing about that. So weird that PSA doesnt care but CGC does. For PSA Im assuming you really have to have something with high dollar amounts since their waste times are insane and from my experience Ive dealt with inconsistencies with them for me to really trust them in general.

Not crazy high dollar but the ding on the silvering could make a difference in price on these two. Would hate to get dropped because of it. Willing to take the risk and crack it if I have to. Haven't gotten a silvered on back yet so this will be my test run.

IMG_20210130_113152.thumb.jpg.a321b5bf0e91cbe450ea5941062db8e2.jpgIMG_20210130_113715.thumb.jpg.75a0362e70a6e1c75103a9f956f7f3b4.jpg

4 minutes ago, Yeahiwasder4dat said:

Not crazy high dollar but the ding on the silvering could make a difference in price on these two. Would hate to get dropped because of it. Willing to take the risk and crack it if I have to. Haven't gotten a silvered on back yet so this will be my test run.

IMG_20210130_113152.thumb.jpg.a321b5bf0e91cbe450ea5941062db8e2.jpgIMG_20210130_113715.thumb.jpg.75a0362e70a6e1c75103a9f956f7f3b4.jpg

The blaine's charizard looks like its got a ding on the side more than pack silvering. The Dark Charizard looks fine but I cant tell if its got scratching on the foiling since that could still lower the grade.

If you feel like taking the risk then go for it. If it was me Id probably just send it to CGC since with PSA with these it just feels like a gamble, which is why I avoid PSA in the first place. Like you can get a 10 on some cards and it increases the value quite a bit, or you can get a 9 and that 9 isnt really much of a difference and when you factor in the time you spend waiting for it to come back and the increased grading fees, well then you were better off with CGC. Its got its ups and downs and risks no matter how you do it and I dont think its wrong to send to PSA, but just not something Id personally do.

11 minutes ago, mattyzeepgam said:

The blaine's charizard looks like its got a ding on the side more than pack silvering. The Dark Charizard looks fine but I cant tell if its got scratching on the foiling since that could still lower the grade.

If you feel like taking the risk then go for it. If it was me Id probably just send it to CGC since with PSA with these it just feels like a gamble, which is why I avoid PSA in the first place. Like you can get a 10 on some cards and it increases the value quite a bit, or you can get a 9 and that 9 isnt really much of a difference and when you factor in the time you spend waiting for it to come back and the increased grading fees, well then you were better off with CGC. Its got its ups and downs and risks no matter how you do it and I dont think its wrong to send to PSA, but just not something Id personally do.

Camera playing some tricks, something was distorting it there on the Blaine's. Can't get silvering to show up but can come up with dents that aren't lol. Probably because I'm taking pics through a magnifying lamp. I'd say both are probably some of the best I've come across. Between centering being really good and everything else. Gonna see how CGC grades it. I'll be praying from this afternoon when it gets shipped until it pops up online.

Don't want to sit on it forever and PSA walkthrough prices are out of the question.

1 hour ago, Yeahiwasder4dat said:

Camera playing some tricks, something was distorting it there on the Blaine's. Can't get silvering to show up but can come up with dents that aren't lol. Probably because I'm taking pics through a magnifying lamp. I'd say both are probably some of the best I've come across. Between centering being really good and everything else. Gonna see how CGC grades it. I'll be praying from this afternoon when it gets shipped until it pops up online.

Don't want to sit on it forever and PSA walkthrough prices are out of the question.

If they are as clean as your saying then they should probably come back at least 9 or higher, maybe worse case 8.5. I doubt you would get a 7. From my experiences with PSA that is something Id expect to happen with them. Ive sent in perfect cards and been given 8's and 9's with them just because some grader was being lazy and didnt wanna grade that day. If PSA had somewhat reasonable turnaround tries Id attempt them, but even walkthroughs Im hearing take at least a month. Any other service, god knows how long it takes. The amount of time waiting is costly as it is, hence why I pass on PSA even if there is a premium. Even if you get 50-100 less bucks, as long as your making some money then its kind of whatever.

12 hours ago, mattyzeepgam said:

So, what you're really saying is that flippers are ruining the system. Some people actually want to get cards they like graded and actually keep the cards after they get graded.

12 hours ago, Yeahiwasder4dat said:

So, flippers are ruining the system. Some people actually want to keep the cards they get graded, regardless of their value. Those people are called collectors.

2 hours ago, Dom Fonce said:

So, flippers are ruining the system. Some people actually want to keep the cards they get graded, regardless of their value. Those people are called collectors.

You realize what the point of grading is right? Its not so a company can put a card in a plastic container for you since you can do that yourself with way less hassle and cost. The whole point of it is mainly for reselling or sitting on them long term since grading gives the condition legitimacy. Your just wasting a ton of money if your going to hold on to them and never do anything with them.

Edited by mattyzeepgam

8 hours ago, Dom Fonce said:

I collect and flip. Not sure what relevance collecting has to getting subgrades on sub $3-500 . That's like polishing a turd. Sure, someone can do it but doesn't make sense. I seen cards like base set Abra with subgrades. Card might be worth couple of dollars max. Beyond pointless to have subgrades on that.

Don't flip but I collect baseball cards? Am I going to run out and get a $15-20 Cepeda graded just because its old? No. Mantle graded? Yes, because it's actually valuable and survived 60 years with practically no damage. Some things just don't make sense to grade a certain way or at all because the value simply isn't there.

8 hours ago, Yeahiwasder4dat said:

I collect and flip. Not sure what relevance collecting has to getting subgrades on sub $3-500 . That's like polishing a turd. Sure, someone can do it but doesn't make sense. I seen cards like base set Abra with subgrades. Card might be worth couple of dollars max. Beyond pointless to have subgrades on that.

Don't flip but I collect baseball cards? Am I going to run out and get a $15-20 Cepeda graded just because its old? No. Mantle graded? Yes, because it's actually valuable and survived 60 years with practically no damage. Some things just don't make sense to grade a certain way or at all because the value simply isn't there.

Some people for collection uniformity want to either have all subgrades or no subgrades... Me personally I think the cases look better with the subgrades on them. So if I am going after completing a set I'm going to send in the lower value cards with subgrades as well, as I I think they display better.