• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many modern comics do you buy/read each month?

How Many Moderns do you buy/read each month?  

396 members have voted

1. 1. How Many Moderns do you buy/read each month?

56 posts in this topic

This was easy for me...0

I just can't get into the modern art. The Hulk I know and love is from the 70's as is most of my favorite characters. I like SA books as well, but the only modern books I've bought were the Halloween books by Chaos.

regarding "modern" comics art/styles, there are some many great and different ones, that it's near impossible for you not to fall in love with the works of a couple of artists wink.gifflowerred.gif

regards

i've been reading all the d.c. stuff. crisis this omac that.

is it me, or is it not really all that great?

i tell you what, it was nice to read grant morisson's superman

where i could read the book and not feel like i had to run out and

pick up 30 other issues just to figure what the hell is going on.

i don't know, maybe it's just me. what do you think?

Oh yeah, it's easily $320 a month. Factor in tax and that many books are going for $3.99 now and it's even worse. Heck, some are upwards of $7 (ie, Batman: Gotham County 3-part PF). It gets very pricey. That's why I'm on a mission to start cutting titles. Now, what to cut: that's a different story.

Pat

I am down to the bare essentials now...New Avengers, Young Avengers, Astonishing X-Men, Wonder Woman, and whatever new B.P.R.D. title is out. So I guess that puts me at 5. I can't keep up with the Identity Crisis and the Omac titles and crossovers.

Will

Oh yeah, it's easily $320 a month. Factor in tax and that many books are going for $3.99 now and it's even worse. Heck, some are upwards of $7 (ie, Batman: Gotham County 3-part PF). It gets very pricey. That's why I'm on a mission to start cutting titles. Now, what to cut: that's a different story.

Pat

893whatthe.gif893censored-thumb.gifforeheadslap.gifthumbsup2.gifflowerred.gif

regards

Pat

893whatthe.gif893censored-thumb.gifforeheadslap.gifthumbsup2.gifflowerred.gif

regards

Now, if only I had a good paying job, could I do soemthing like this

Hell, if I 'had" a job.

I usually spend 40-60 a month.

Which equales out to a lot of titles though.

Feb., 8th I am looking to spend 30, which I won't have.... foreheadslap.gif

I pick up an average of 3-4 comics a week - with a 30% discount it probably averages less than 10 bucks a week + the occaisonal trade or hardback (usually discounted 15-20%) probably brings my total to around $50-$60 a month on new comics and related items. I don't expect much if any of what I buy to have a resale value anywhere near what I've paid - so I look at it as an entertainment expense, not to be compared to what $600-$700 a year would buy in "collectable" comic books.

having my overtime cut at work recently meant I had no choice to cut some titles and to tell you the truth at first I thought it would be hard to go without, then I realised life still goes on !!

Plus I can still afford my favorites so it ain't that bad !!

Keepers :

Batman

Batman/Superman

Green Lantern

Infinite Crisis

Y-the last man

DMZ

Loveless

100 bullets

Ex Machina

Ultimate FF

Ultimates

Captain America

Punisher

Astonishing X-men

Uncanny X-men - when Brubaker starts cloud9.gif

All star Superman - people who don't read moderns really should check this out

Dropped (and not missing really)

Ultimate Spiderman

Ultimate X-men

Conan

Detective Comics

Shoalin Cowboy

Amazing Spiderman

It only works out to about 4-5 titles a week so it's not so bad, thinking of dropping a few more, but it's going to be hard sumo.gif

I pick up an average of 3-4 comics a week - with a 30% discount it probably averages less than 10 bucks a week + the occaisonal trade or hardback (usually discounted 15-20%) probably brings my total to around $50-$60 a month on new comics and related items. I don't expect much if any of what I buy to have a resale value anywhere near what I've paid - so I look at it as an entertainment expense, not to be compared to what $600-$700 a year would buy in "collectable" comic books.

Thats pretty much how I feel - if I didn't spend my spare "entertainment" money on comics I'll be down the pub and end up spending a lot more 27_laughing.gif

Yeah, think about how much money we spend on beer at the bar. One night equals a month or two worth of comics.

And then you have nothing to show for it but a headache and a burning question in your head "What the hell was I saying to that girl last night?"

Looks like I'll be getting 50 comics (49 titles + the 2nd cover to Infinite Crisis 7) for April from DCBS. I've been doing the mail order bit for a couple months now and it's been working out great. If I bought my comics at the store, there's no way I could afford to get 50 comics a month.