• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to sell a lot?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Hi , 

I am a collector and hoping to become a seller as well .

My question : I have a lot of Wolverine 50-100 that I figure would be a good starting lot to sell . 

They are all in exceptional condition .

What I believe is the most valuable number 88 I have 2 of ,1 that is exceptional condition and one that is a 8-8.5 by my best guess but also a rarer newstand .

How do I get started on pricing these ? Should I slab the 88's ? 

Any recomendations on a good price guide for non slabbed books? 

Thank You

41 minutes ago, Corallas said:

Hi , 

I am a collector and hoping to become a seller as well .

My question : I have a lot of Wolverine 50-100 that I figure would be a good starting lot to sell . 

They are all in exceptional condition .

What I believe is the most valuable number 88 I have 2 of ,1 that is exceptional condition and one that is a 8-8.5 by my best guess but also a rarer newstand .

How do I get started on pricing these ? Should I slab the 88's ? 

Any recomendations on a good price guide for non slabbed books? 

Thank You

Well there's the actual Overstreet price guide. If you want something more up to the minute look at previous sold listings on Ebay.  Same applies for your question on slabbing. Check how much a cgc 9.4, 9.6, 9.8 sells for on ebay to determine if sending it in is worthwhile compared to how much it sells for unslabbed. 

5 hours ago, KCOComics said:

The easiest thing to do is an eBay auction starting at 0.99 and let the market decide the price. 

Take detailed pictures of the keys and describe condition to the best of your ability. 

Yeah was thinking it was so specialized that maybe I would get a better price if i was just patient with a buy it now price. The auction thing for a run seems hit or miss to me.

But yeah hear you about the condition and description .

17 minutes ago, Corallas said:

Yeah was thinking it was so specialized that maybe I would get a better price if i was just patient with a buy it now price. The auction thing for a run seems hit or miss to me.

But yeah hear you about the condition and description .

Lots in general are difficult to sell and you generally won't get top $$.  

But reality is, listing them individually will take allot of work and I'm not sure there is enough value to make that work worthwhile (but I really don't know much about them). 

So, the easiest path is the eBay auction. The harder path is pulling out the most valuable books and selling them individually. The hardest path would be, CGCing, maybe pre screening and then listing. 

As for estimating value, eBay sold prices is really the easiest. You can find some good info on gocollect. 

You can also post pictures of the big books here in the "Spare a grade" area to get consensus on the grade for when you list it. 

Good luck! 

7 hours ago, Corallas said:

Ebay is easiest but open to anything , was considering facebook marketplace as well.

Acually this is a good question 

Of the lots that I have bought: The seller simply showed a picture of the stack, some pictures of them all lying out, and a picture of the ones that might be worth more than a few dollars. They were all bagged and boarded, and none of them looked worse than 9.0 in grade. I ended up being very happy.

Keep in mind that you will have to price the lot cheaper than if you were to sell them individually. People are accustomed to "bulk discounts". I'm not sure how well an auction would work, only because I'm not sure how in-demand this run may be. I don't think that the 88's are worth slabbing, only because I could never see myself buying a 50-issue run with 1 or 2 slabs in it. That's just me, though.

3 hours ago, Angel of Death said:

Of the lots that I have bought: The seller simply showed a picture of the stack, some pictures of them all lying out, and a picture of the ones that might be worth more than a few dollars. They were all bagged and boarded, and none of them looked worse than 9.0 in grade. I ended up being very happy.

Keep in mind that you will have to price the lot cheaper than if you were to sell them individually. People are accustomed to "bulk discounts". I'm not sure how well an auction would work, only because I'm not sure how in-demand this run may be. I don't think that the 88's are worth slabbing, only because I could never see myself buying a 50-issue run with 1 or 2 slabs in it. That's just me, though.

Yup that was a question I had as well , would it be odd to have a 50 issue run and then a premium issue slabbed ? 

I like the idea about the stack and then the pics highlighting the more valueable issues.

10 hours ago, KCOComics said:

Lots in general are difficult to sell and you generally won't get top $$.  

But reality is, listing them individually will take allot of work and I'm not sure there is enough value to make that work worthwhile (but I really don't know much about them). 

So, the easiest path is the eBay auction. The harder path is pulling out the most valuable books and selling them individually. The hardest path would be, CGCing, maybe pre screening and then listing. 

As for estimating value, eBay sold prices is really the easiest. You can find some good info on gocollect. 

You can also post pictures of the big books here in the "Spare a grade" area to get consensus on the grade for when you list it. 

Good luck! 

Hi yes this is acually a fun process , judging value and deciding whether to slab or sell raw . 

Seems like a key skillset is the ability to accurately judge whether something will grade high and there is a small element of chance as well maybe . 

Thanks 

3 minutes ago, Corallas said:

Hi yes this is acually a fun process , judging value and deciding whether to slab or sell raw . 

Seems like a key skillset is the ability to accurately judge whether something will grade high and there is a small element of chance as well maybe . 

Thanks 

I enjoy the process as well lol. 

Good luck

If you are selling a lot, I always try to move by some means other than Ebay. Locally, put ads up, even here. 

As for the book you asked about, a CGC 9.6 can be had in the $125-150 range. Less than that grade wise, and you are not looking at much profit. High grade raws tend to sell for $20-40. 

If I were selling that lot you have in particular, I would expect to get $2 a book, so in the ballpark of $100 and that is being optimistic. Reality? I probably take $75-100, If you think you can do better than that by selling each book one at a time, grading some and selling, etc. well then you have to ask yourself if the time is worth it. You could spend over a year trying to maximize value and put a lot of time in effort into making $200 from all of them but again...the time and effort part. 

Edited by comicginger1789

On 2/3/2021 at 10:07 AM, comicginger1789 said:

If you are selling a lot, I always try to move by some means other than Ebay. Locally, put ads up, even here. 

As for the book you asked about, a CGC 9.6 can be had in the $125-150 range. Less than that grade wise, and you are not looking at much profit. High grade raws tend to sell for $20-40. 

If I were selling that lot you have in particular, I would expect to get $2 a book, so in the ballpark of $100 and that is being optimistic. Reality? I probably take $75-100, If you think you can do better than that by selling each book one at a time, grading some and selling, etc. well then you have to ask yourself if the time is worth it. You could spend over a year trying to maximize value and put a lot of time in effort into making $200 from all of them but again...the time and effort part. 

Yes this sounds like a pretty good plan , probably will keep one 88 in the lot , and take a shot on the other one , maybe post it here to see what the grades are but it would be a fun book for me to have slabbed regardless . 

I would sell on ebay myself. You could go the fb marketplace route but in my experience buyers who are using those avenues are typically looking for a steal and won't pay the prices that are driven by multiple bidding buyers worldwide on eBay.  I've tried listing stuff on fb, Craigslist, Instagram, etc and in my experience buyers will lowball you and I ended up listing for a higher asking price on ebay (to account for fees) and easily sold there.  Totally depends on the book and its current desirability of course. 

As far as selling lots : when listing I take a group shot of the front covers and a group shot of the back covers,  individual unbagged closeup shots of each book (if the lot is too large I'll do shots of like 4-6 at a time), and closeups of any big flaws.  I've found this is more successful at driving bids than just slapping up a couple big group shots and/or pics of comics in bags. The extra effort to really show the buyer more of the condition of the books when selling a lot does pay off.