• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Book sold with disclosed pressing sells for ABOVE GPA average!!!

57 posts in this topic

are we really thinking that this one sale is going to change anything? one sale, with one line buried in the middle of the description?

This one completed FFB auction is the critical juncture in time in which future generations of comic connossieurs will look back and point to with reverence, as "the shining example" by which all future pressed auctions should emulate. hail.gif

a rather stale description, i might add.

Ouch! We're not all born with Shakespearian talents, Sal sumo.gif

the smart call would be to assume everyone is being just a mite facetious, but i can't tell with all the lawyers around

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

excellent. i have already sent a casting for Scott's statue to a local silversmith. i'm having trouble with the engraving though. all i have so far is

“Give me your wavy, your impact-damaged,

Your imperfect books yearning to be minty,

The wretched refuse of the backroom stock.

Send these, the unwanted, tempest-tost to FFB,

He can have them pressed into money-making slabs!”

but it doesn't really rhyme all that well - minty and FFB just ain't a good meter - and the syllables are all off.

but i'm really happy with how the statue turned out. think Captain America, issue 113

There is a reason NOT to declare that a book has been pressed even if all the bidders believe pressing is acceptable.

That reason is:

Once I realize a book has been pressed, I'm going to assume that it has been maxed out on it's grade.

Said a different way, if I saw a beautiful 9.4 book and knew it WASN'T pressed, I might think the book could be pressed into a 9.6. But if I knew it had already been pressed (and look just as beautiful), I wouldn't consider pressing / resubmitting it again.

So in theory, the final sale price could be affected (especially on a big ticket book), by disclosing the pressing. But it's not because anyone felt pressing was wrong, but because the few big time collector /resubmitters wouldn't bother buying the book (since they wouldn't feel the book had any chance of an upgrade).

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

There is a reason NOTt to declare that a book has been pressed even if all the bidders believe pressing is acceptable.

That reason is:

Once I realize a book has been pressed, I'm going to assume that it has been maxed out on it's grade.

Said a different way, if I saw a beautiful 9.4 book and knew it WASN'T pressed, I might think the book could be pressed into a 9.6. But if I knew it had already been pressed (and look just as beautiful), I wouldn't consider pressing / resubmitting it again.

So in theory, the final sale price could be affected (especially on a big ticket book), by disclosing the pressing. But it's not because anyone felt pressing was wrong, but because the few big time collector /resubmitters wouldn't bother buying the book (since they wouldn't feel the book had any chance of an upgrade).

Is that where we are now in this hobby? Forget about the actual book in favor of how much one can be upgraded in the current system? It's a sad day indeed when this frame of mind permeates drive supposed "collectors". No wonder this hobby, and the joy of collecting comics, is going to hell...

Jim

This one completed FFB auction is the critical juncture in time in which future generations of comic connossieurs will look back and point to with reverence, as "the shining example" by which all future pressed auctions should emulate. hail.gif

And here I was ignorant of his significance... yeahok.gifsmirk.gif

Jim

Pottery Barn Boy. hi.gif

893whatthe.gif Them's fightin' words!!!

Them's getting married so I'm making my buddies buy my lovely bride some cr@p words. 27_laughing.gif I'd rather have my friends buy the Pottery Barn stuff, which leaves me more comic book money. acclaim.gif

You put both your registry's under different names. Christo_pull_hair.gif In the end Melissa explained the difference to me - supposedly its all your fault, your not too bright - but she's marrying you anyway. yay.gif

Cool website though thumbsup2.gif

There will be no tolerating him after this ......... insane.gif

Yeah I bid 90 dollars it looked like a nice book .

As far as disclosed pressing , I must have bought pressed books before without knowing .

It did not affect what price I bid , Bob Storms has a 7.5 for 75 dollars on his site , 90 dollars seemed OK .

No wonder this hobby, and the joy of collecting comics, is going to hell...

Jim

Maybe for you. But none of this pressing/trimming/resubmitting talk has affected my joy of collecting one single bit. I'm probably having more fun now with comics than any other time in my life. I guess it all depends on the areas you like to collect. I've never been a big ticket or slab to own guy, so all this stuff doesn't really apply to me. However, I can see how it has made others a bit (or alot) nervous, and for that I feel bad all this craap has partially ruined it for some people. But don't forget us others (probably the majority of collectors) who are not affected by all this and are still carrying on mightily. laugh.gif

Well said, Sid. I, too, am having a great time. I'm certainly a slab buyer, but usually not uber-high grade stuff. It's absolutely thrilling to me to receive a nice mid-grade Golden Age book in the mail. And I do mean thrilling...Thrilling #19, Thrilling #33, Thrilling #38... thumbsup2.gif

Maybe it these Boards then...

Greed appears to have permeated almost every aspect of collecting in grades VF and higher. It's almost as if you can't look at a nice higher grade comic anymore without having a thought on whether:

1) It's restored (to include pressed)

2) Can be improved upon...or

3) How much you could make by flipping it on eBay

Now I realize these shadier aspects of the hobby existed pre-CGC. But at least the information wasn't as readily available as it is now. Sometimes (hell more than sometimes) I think I was happier collecting when I was ignorant of all the scams going around or the greed attitude of some dealers/collectors...and this from a guy who thinks more info is always better...

And NM...aren't you supposed to incommunicato? I'm waiting to spring a grand revelation to the Boards but am waiting until you've gone... poke2.gifgrin.gif

Jim

Sometimes (hell more than sometimes) I think I was happier collecting when I was ignorant of all the scams going around or the greed attitude of some dealers/collectors...and this from a guy who think more info is always better...

Ignorance was bliss.... cloud9.gif