• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AS 8 continues to nose dive
2 2

86 posts in this topic

This was always sort of an awkward key. While clearly the first WW appearance, both in publishing and narrative continuity, that she is not even mentioned on the cover, did not join the JSA right away, and given the page count, the story was likely added as a last minute decision in order to introduce JSA fans to a new character and hopefully induce them to buy Sensation #1, it long played second fiddle to Sensation #1 in the pantheon of DC keys. 

Obviously a must-have for WW collectors, it probably isn't going to have the same demand among more general key collectors that first appearances that began a run, let alone include a cover appearance would have.

9 hours ago, batman_fan said:
10 hours ago, Bronty said:

first thing I was wondering also, but still.   5 years later and price is down.  

Pretty significantly down.  I guess having a pretty decent movie followed by a steamy creamy movie can hurt demand.

Being a long time collector myself, I've always had the impression that Wonder Woman (like a lot of other 2nd & 3rd tier DC GA books) has suffered from relatively low demand for a couple of decades there until all of the hype started to build about 5 years ago for her first movie.  So, maybe it's just a return back to normal for Wonder Woman after a short lived spike due to all of the hype and euphoria over her movie appearance. :frown:

Also not sure how much of an impact movies would have on books right now, especially considering that nobody's really rushing out to the theatres in the midst of this pandemic and streaming it at home is just not quite the same thing.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

On 2/3/2021 at 8:21 PM, Dark Knight said:

Yup, been saying it for years ever since AS 8 started hitting those record prices several years ago that it was way overpriced and that the book will go back down to earth someday.  Kinda reminded me of MF #73. 

When it comes to More Fun 73, I've always thought that it had been one of the most undervalued GA DC keys for the longest while and then it all of a sudden spiked up so quickly that it seem to be overvalued.  :juggle:

I still remember when More Fun was considered to be one of the must have and in-demand GA DC titles to have and then it seem to lose some of its desire for quite a few years there.  From looking at recent auction results though, it definitely seems that collector or is it speculator/investor interest seems to be picking up on this title once again.  Not sure if it's too late or not, but probably not the worst idea to go after some of these More Fun's before they become too expensive, especially if they are in grade, while their prices are still within the realm of reasonability.  hm  :takeit:

15 hours ago, rjpb said:

This was always sort of an awkward key. While clearly the first WW appearance, both in publishing and narrative continuity, that she is not even mentioned on the cover, did not join the JSA right away, and given the page count, the story was likely added as a last minute decision in order to introduce JSA fans to a new character and hopefully induce them to buy Sensation #1, it long played second fiddle to Sensation #1 in the pantheon of DC keys. 

Obviously a must-have for WW collectors, it probably isn't going to have the same demand among more general key collectors that first appearances that began a run, let alone include a cover appearance would have.

What if Captain America's 1st appearance was in the back pages of Marvel Comics #9 or #14 or something.  With only 20 unrestored copies on the census, because the cover was boring and nobody saved it.  You wouldn't be interested?

6 hours ago, ChillMan said:

Not well.  The $2M and $3M copies of Action #1 should have been over $10M....judging by what sports and Pokémon cards are going for.

Well the 2 million 8.5 sale was 3 years ago and the 3 million 9.0 sale was 7 years ago. Well removed from all this sports and Pokémon card madness. So would certainly be interesting to see what one might sell for now.

13 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Well the 2 million 8.5 sale was 3 years ago and the 3 million 9.0 sale was 7 years ago. Well removed from all this sports and Pokémon card madness. So would certainly be interesting to see what one might sell for now.

That's a great point. I suspect if those copies came up now, nobody would be disappointed with the prices.

5 hours ago, ChillMan said:

What if Captain America's 1st appearance was in the back pages of Marvel Comics #9 or #14 or something.  With only 20 unrestored copies on the census, because the cover was boring and nobody saved it.  You wouldn't be interested?

Interested? Yes, if I collected such things. As interested as I would be in a Cap #1? No. The lack of cover appearance alone diminishes interest in this era where such books are likely to be slabbed, rendering the content unavailable unless you break it out.

Sandman's first appearance on the newsstand was in New York World's Fair Comics #1 (though the story continuity appears up for debate), and if one is a DC or Sandman completist, NYWFC #1 would be sought after, but if one is focused on cool DC GA keys, then Adventure #40 is probably going to be higher on the list. Granted AS#8 is a somewhat different situation, as the story is clearly the first appearance, introducing WW to Steve Trevor, and All-Star Comics itself has been a historically desirable run, but such a book is not going to have the visual and emotional impact for collectors that a first appearance combined with a cover appearance in a title that begins a run would have.

With just a quick read I see the numbers 7-8K a point for AS8. Don’t we include AS8 as a top 20 book? Cap 3 is pretty around the same per point so it comes to reason that maybe we should start at some point considering that book as a top 20 Golden Age comic 🤷‍♂️

8 hours ago, ChillMan said:
On 2/7/2021 at 12:03 PM, rjpb said:

Inside cover of Human Torch #2 has an ad for Captain America and pre-dates Captain America #1.

4 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

Inside cover of Human Torch #2 has an ad for Captain America and pre-dates Captain America #1.

Don't even get started on promo ads as first appearances. That is the road to damnation.

8 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I would guess for a current 2021 market price with a solid  5 million for the 9.0 with white pages and 4.5 for the other copy with inferior page quality. The 8.5 is very interesting in my opinion it is much more valuable than the 2.2 Bat #1...but its 8.5....not 9 or 9.2, I would put it at a firm 3 million. what do you think?

Edited by Mmehdy