• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AS 8 continues to nose dive
2 2

86 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, the blob said:

yeah, i agree, but that feels like not the best example,  worlds finest usually seems to sell for less than action or detectives from similar years generally and that WF cover is particularly lame whereas the tec cover has a lot going on for it

I'd still buy a WFC though because it is THE 1st app.

Finding one for sale, living in Australia is a different matter.

I was going to buy one from Adam P, but I can't get in contact with him.

Yes dealers, contact me if you have one  :tink:

6 minutes ago, Beige said:

I'd still buy a WFC though because it is THE 1st app.

Finding one for sale, living in Australia is a different matter.

I was going to buy one from Adam P, but I can't get in contact with him.

Yes dealers, contact me if you have one  :tink:

The story in it is great !

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

When it comes to comic books, believe me that cover appearance makes a big difference in terms of a book's valuation, especially in this day and age of slabbed comic books where all you really see are just the front and back covers only.  :preach:

I like to go by my own opinion....and I like to think ahead.  Rather than just going by past history.

I'm perfectly fine knowing I have a 1st appearance.  This era of slabbed comics doesn't change that.  On the other hand....I go by what my eyes see over what others tell me.  For instance, if my eyes see Superman in More Fun #31, or if my eyes see Captain America in Human Torch #3(#2)....I don't let someone tell me that it doesn't count.

Edited by ChillMan

13 minutes ago, ChillMan said:

I like to go by my own opinion....and I like to think ahead.  Rather than just going by past history.

I'm perfectly fine knowing I have a 1st appearance.  This era of slabbed comics doesn't change that.  On the other hand....I go by what my eyes see over what others tell me.  For instance, if my eyes see Superman in More Fun #31, or if my eyes see Captain America in Human Torch #3(#2)....I don't let someone tell me that it doesn't count.

Torch 3(2) has a lot going for it: Schomburg red dress cover, Cap 1 adverts, Torch origin, Sub-Mariner crossover

Edited by Northwest

7 hours ago, batman_fan said:
8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

When it comes to comic books, believe me that cover appearance makes a big difference in terms of a book's valuation, especially in this day and age of slabbed comic books where all you really see are just the front and back covers only.  :preach:

How much more would this book be worth if SubMariner were on the cover?

Yes, that cover for Motion Pictures Funnies Weekly would be a perfect example, with another one being this book here:  (thumbsu

ace2.442a.jpg

I am sure this book would be in a lot more demand and sought after with a even higher price valuation than it currently has if it had cover appearance with the Phantom in this book which featured his first appearance in comic books.  :cloud9:

Surprisingly, it would not be until another 130+issues in Ace Comics #143 before the Phantom managed to be featured on the cover even though he had taken the lead story for the Ace run almost right from his introduction.  Even though those Phantom covers on the last several issues of Ace Comics were rather lame, they all still managed to achieved double digit multiples to condition guide when some of them at long last became available on Heritage in the past couple of years.  Clearly extremely rare and tough to find as each one of them has less than a handful in the CGC census, with Ace #145 still having no copies slabbed to date so far.  :luhv:   :takeit: 

Edited by lou_fine

10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, that cover for Motion Pictures Funnies Weekly would be a perfect example, with another one being this book here:  (thumbsu

ace2.442a.jpg

I am sure this book would be in a lot more demand and sought after with a even higher price valuation than it currently has if it had cover appearance with the Phantom in this book which featured his first appearance in comic books.  :cloud9:

Surprisingly, it would not be until another 130+issues in Ace Comics #143 before the Phantom managed to be featured on the cover even though he had taken the lead story for the Ace run almost right from his introduction.  Even though those Phantom covers on the last several issues of Ace Comics were rather lame, they all still managed to achieved double digit multiples to condition guide when some of them at long last became available on Heritage in the past couple of years.  Clearly extremely rare and tough to find as each one of them has less than a handful in the CGC census, with Ace #145 still having no copies slabbed to date so far.  :luhv:   :takeit: 

The Phantom's 1st appearance in comics isn't as desirable because he appeared in other media before.  So Ace Comics #11 isn't his 1st printed image.

My opinion is....a comic being slabbed shouldn't change it's desirability.  For instance, you know you have Aquaman's 1st appearance if you open up More Fun #73.  And he didn't appear in More Fun #72 or in any other earlier comics.

aquaman-kick.png

Edited by ChillMan