• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is asking for "combined" shipping really that big of a deal???
2 2

44 posts in this topic

Another WTF moment in ebay shipping.

I won 6 individual comic auctions from a single seller.  Each individual auction said $10 for shipping, which I think is a pretty hefty shipping charge for 1 comic, but I wanted the comics so.... oh well. 

I asked for an invoice to combine all the auctions I had won together into 1 invoice (assuming I would get a shipping discount).  Nope.... I got the invoice and it was $60 shipping for 6 comics.  I emailed the seller to ask them if they could be a little more reasonable with the shipping price.  I got them to lower it to $30.... still high, but at least the price came down a little.

I open my mailbox today and this is what I pulled out.  6 individual packages.  They're not even in the normal flat rate envelope which costs around $7.50,  They're in a bubble mailer at $8.55/envelope.

So they just paid $51.30 for postage on something they could have easily shipped for around $10 total.  :insane:

I appreciate they packed them well with stiff cardboard, but individually?  What a waste of time and money.

image0 (63).jpeg

Edited by gadzukes

9 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

OK..... safely made it thru the fortress of cardboard and tape surrounding each comic.

Now.... each comic has had a cardstock folder cut to the size of the comic and taped.  :frustrated:

It's going to be difficult getting the comics out without damage.  :frustrated:

image0 (64).jpeg

Proceed very slowly extracting the paper and tape.  You will have to take breaks to relieve the tension you will be experiencing.  You might have to just try one comic per day.  Good luck! 

1 minute ago, gadzukes said:

With care I got the comics out safely.  None had bags/boards which I was suspecting.

It took me about 30 minutes to open these..... that's a long time to spend opening a package.

Good deal...per my post above...thought it would take a lot longer...

9 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Let us know the seller's name, so we can avoid this Jack***

They aren't a comic seller (except for these) so I don't really think there's much to avoid.

Non-comic people just don't seem to know how to ship comics.  I had a small unbagged stack of comics taped together and shipped to me once.  The tape actually touched every single comic in the stack.  Arrrgh

I've had stuff shipped unbagged in soft mailers with little or no support, but I've dodged getting unbagged books taped together so far, but I'm feeling for you most on the over taped packaging. It's always fun when you've finally removed enough tape to slide a book out from between the cardboard sandwich and then realize the book is taped to the cardboard as well, with packing tape that tears the bag when you try and remove it.

I'm guessing they packaged these before they were sold.

I have had someone I won 10 individual comic auctions for try to charge me $80 for shipping and refused to combine the shipping costs... I just didn't pay for the order until the seller canceled it. Eff that. Won't be THIS sucker! Not today at least! :sumo:

I do not purchase if combined shipping is not available. I got burned once. Insists that combined shipping is not practical for the business then received one package. I got a partial refund, but I found it very annoying. There are sellers that can automatically combined BIN items and even a mix of Won Bids and BIN items.