• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is asking for "combined" shipping really that big of a deal???
2 2

44 posts in this topic

On 2/4/2021 at 6:13 PM, Muno42 said:

I do not purchase if combined shipping is not available. I got burned once. Insists that combined shipping is not practical for the business then received one package. I got a partial refund, but I found it very annoying. There are sellers that can automatically combined BIN items and even a mix of Won Bids and BIN items.

Sometimes that works out and sometimes it does not. 

When I have sold an item I have noticed that in certain cases it's actually cheaper to send things separately than to combine the shipping due to the size of the items.  If you have ever ordered art through Comiclink then take a good look at that box.  That box JUST falls into the regular size package size.  If you go a little bit taller or a little bit longer or a little bit wider in any direction it pushes that box into the 'oversize' package category with USPS.  

So when I sold a large Lego set over the summer I had to explain that the large lego set and the smaller box would not fit into the regular size box and a larger box would be used which would then push it into the oversize category.  It took a bit of explaining but I saved the buyer a decent chunk of change given the distance.  The smaller set shipped first class.  The larger shipped regular priority. 

However, I have to ask when I am buying since that incident where when I asked the seller if they combined shipping, they replied that they did.  And they just added it all up and charged me 3x the amount in one invoice.   They said that was their example of combining.  I walked away and took the eBay hit on principle alone.