• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is asking for "combined" shipping really that big of a deal???
2 2

44 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, rjpb said:

I've had stuff shipped unbagged in soft mailers with little or no support, but I've dodged getting unbagged books taped together so far, but I'm feeling for you most on the over taped packaging. It's always fun when you've finally removed enough tape to slide a book out from between the cardboard sandwich and then realize the book is taped to the cardboard as well, with packing tape that tears the bag when you try and remove it.

I understand your thoughts, but ask yourself this question, "Would you rather have your books have too much tape on them or too little tape on them?" Granted, I'm not talking about tape that is attached to the cover or anything like that. I, myself, use a lot of tape, but when attaching bubble wrap, I use painter's tape, which is usually easier to remove. I also use painter's tape to keep a book from sliding within a Gemini II mailer. Lastly, if I have several comics enclosed between two pieces of cardboard, I also use painter's tape for that. I only use packing tape on the outside of the box.

My idea in regard to packaging it package it the way you would want it if you were receiving the books.

6 hours ago, BoogieWoogie said:

I'm guessing they packaged these before they were sold.

I have had someone I won 10 individual comic auctions for try to charge me $80 for shipping and refused to combine the shipping costs... I just didn't pay for the order until the seller canceled it. Eff that. Won't be THIS sucker! Not today at least! :sumo:

Beat me to it.

Edited by CatskillMike

12 hours ago, Math Teacher said:
18 hours ago, rjpb said:

I've had stuff shipped unbagged in soft mailers with little or no support, but I've dodged getting unbagged books taped together so far, but I'm feeling for you most on the over taped packaging. It's always fun when you've finally removed enough tape to slide a book out from between the cardboard sandwich and then realize the book is taped to the cardboard as well, with packing tape that tears the bag when you try and remove it.

I understand your thoughts, but ask yourself this question, "Would you rather have your books have too much tape on them or too little tape on them?" Granted, I'm not talking about tape that is attached to the cover or anything like that. I, myself, use a lot of tape, but when attaching bubble wrap, I use painter's tape, which is usually easier to remove. I also use painter's tape to keep a book from sliding within a Gemini II mailer. Lastly, if I have several comics enclosed between two pieces of cardboard, I also use painter's tape for that. I only use packing tape on the outside of the box.

My idea in regard to packaging it package it the way you would want it if you were receiving the books.

I've damaged my share of comics that had WAY too much tape on them... and usually the kind that is so sticky it's hard to remove under ideal conditions. I've had 9.4's turn into 9.0's due to excessive tape, 8.0's to 7.0's, etc. ... VERY easy to add a spine stress or three. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

$10.00 each to ship??? All shipped separately??? What kind of nonsense is that?

I just shipped 8 books, all in Mylites W/Boards, sandwiched between two pieces of sturdy cardboard (cut larger than the books), the sandwich was held together with painters tape for easy removal and securely wrapped in two layers of bubble wrap in a Priority Mail Medium Box for $15.05.

I can securely wrap/package/ship 2-3 books in a Flat Rate Envelope for $7.70.

23 hours ago, BoogieWoogie said:

I'm guessing they packaged these before they were sold.

This is my thought as well.  Given what you went through, I understand why they didn't want to unpack everything to re-pack them together.

This happens to me though.  Every time I get ahead of the game a little and pack an item up before the auction ends so all I need to do is print a label after receiving payment, sure enough the buyer will buy more than one of my items.  Every.  Single.  Time.  

11 minutes ago, Turtle said:

This is my thought as well.  Given what you went through, I understand why they didn't want to unpack everything to re-pack them together.

This happens to me though.  Every time I get ahead of the game a little and pack an item up before the auction ends so all I need to do is print a label after receiving payment, sure enough the buyer will buy more than one of my items.  Every.  Single.  Time.  

I hate when buyers purchase more items :insane:

2 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I hate when buyers purchase more items :insane:

I heard it as soon as I said it.  lol

1 hour ago, marvelmaniac said:

$10.00 each to ship??? All shipped separately??? What kind of nonsense is that?

I just shipped 8 books, all in Mylites W/Boards, sandwiched between two pieces of sturdy cardboard (cut larger than the books), the sandwich was held together with painters tape for easy removal and securely wrapped in two layers of bubble wrap in a Priority Mail Medium Box for $15.05.

I can securely wrap/package/ship 2-3 books in a Flat Rate Envelope for $7.70.

You have to order the Priority bubble mailers from USPS (they are free and typically arrive in about 3 or 4 days), but they are superior to flat rate envelopes and only run $8.55 to ship, so not much more. In addition to extra protection a bubble mailer affords, you can fit  a dozen or more books and thick cardboard protection inside, and they are not subject to the 1/4" thickness limit of the Flat Rate envelopes. Along with the extra room, it makes it possible to protect books with enough cardboard they won't get bent. 

31 minutes ago, Turtle said:

I never pack anything before I'm paid and have an address. It cuts down the risk of mailing to the wrong buyer (which probably everyone has done once if they sell enough books). I have one repeat buyer with a habit of buying multiple items one at a time, or at least adding on the same evening after an initial purchase. I'm constantly refunding excess postage, but that might be one reason they come back. 

5 minutes ago, rjpb said:

I never pack anything before I'm paid and have an address. It cuts down the risk of mailing to the wrong buyer (which probably everyone has done once if they sell enough books). I have one repeat buyer with a habit of buying multiple items one at a time, or at least adding on the same evening after an initial purchase. I'm constantly refunding excess postage, but that might be one reason they come back. 

Fair enough, especially from the perspective of a regular seller.  

When I sell on ebay, I tend to sell in spurts.  I'll list 3-4 items at a time, let them run for a week, and then list 3-4 more items when those are done.  When life gets in the way, I won't list anything, sometimes months at a time.  

But if I ever do pack it up early, I always write a small note right on the box telling me what's in it.  The note will ultimately get covered by the shipping label.  It helps prevent any mistaken shipments.  

3 minutes ago, Turtle said:

But if I ever do pack it up early, I always write a small note right on the box telling me what's in it.  The note will ultimately get covered by the shipping label.  It helps prevent any mistaken shipments.  

I thought that would be good enough, but still managed to mix up labels one time. Fortunately both buyers were amenable to forwarding the packages after I sent them money for postage, so at least I only paid to ship once more and not for returns, and both left positive feedback.

Now I make sure I put the last name and zip code on the package before I print the label, to make sure they match. I recently had back to back sales going to the same zip code, so name is important. 

2 hours ago, gadzukes said:

If they prepackaged all 6 comics, they wouldn't have needed to unpack anything before sending..... they just needed to drop all 6 into a small box and ship it to me.

Easy peasy

That person wasn’t wearing their thinking cap.

On 2/5/2021 at 12:34 PM, rjpb said:

You have to order the Priority bubble mailers from USPS (they are free and typically arrive in about 3 or 4 days), but they are superior to flat rate envelopes and only run $8.55 to ship, so not much more. In addition to extra protection a bubble mailer affords, you can fit  a dozen or more books and thick cardboard protection inside, and they are not subject to the 1/4" thickness limit of the Flat Rate envelopes. Along with the extra room, it makes it possible to protect books with enough cardboard they won't get bent. 

These?

https://store.usps.com/store/product/shipping-supplies/priority-mail-padded-flat-rate-envelope-P_EP14PE#moreinfofooter