• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Detective Comics #290
2 2

16 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Mars76 said:

Is that ink or chipping on the bc? Spine looks nice with no major creasing and the corners look pretty good for the most part. I say 6.0-6.5.

+1.  I'm also at F or F+.  Main defect keeping it from the 7s or higher is that top right, the missing chip and rounded corner.

Don't know how bright the colors are supposed to be, but assuming only moderate fading I don't think it will hurt the grade much at this point.

Edited by grebal

3 minutes ago, frozentundraguy said:

No rust on the staples, inside the book or on the exterior.

Okay, had to ask.  Poor lighting in pics then...thanks. (thumbsu

I'll go 7.0.  Good luck. :wishluck:

6 minutes ago, Galen130 said:

Okay, had to ask.  Poor lighting in pics then...thanks. (thumbsu

I'll go 7.0.  Good luck. :wishluck:

The bottom staple is discolored on the outside, but it's not rust, just discoloration (I've seen it lots of time before).  On the few books of my own I saw with this recently, the inside is gray and the outside is brown, presumably just like this Tec here.  I think in the current grade range it's not a problem, but I'm not firm on that opinion, I haven't submitted enough books to know.

Edited by grebal
With my books in hand I couldn't see the brown staple, it took close exam of the scan for me to see.

I compared the colors to another copy of the book and I would rate the cover fading as pretty major. The background is supposed to be midnight blue, the villain's checkered jacket is supposed to be a deep purple, and Batman's cape is supposed to be blue. I don't see this copy grading above VG because of this. I'd keep this as a reading copy and not bother with grading it.

7 hours ago, 10centcomics said:

I compared the colors to another copy of the book and I would rate the cover fading as pretty major. The background is supposed to be midnight blue, the villain's checkered jacket is supposed to be a deep purple, and Batman's cape is supposed to be blue. I don't see this copy grading above VG because of this. I'd keep this as a reading copy and not bother with grading it.

I am more in line with this...people grading 6.5 and higher either don't know what this cover looks like originally or they have never had a book graded where there is fading to the entire cover. It has a huge effect. Take a look at this 8.5 book that got dinged for a tiny fading spot top left of the cover at the spine...

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w23/Engr62/Comic%20Book%20Scans/FF149_CGC85_Front_zps16be0a58.jpg

Back to this copy...5.0 seems right, maybe a 5.5 at the highest.