• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spine Damage
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I have spent the last year getting more familiar with different types of defects. One area I am a little unclear about is the spine.

I have come across terms like:

Spine burn

Feathering

Spine wear

Not sure that I fully understand the differences, whether they are interchangeable terms, or how they impact on grading.

By way of example,  here is a brand new Marvel book.

Can any expert heads enlighten me please!

Thanks in advance.

20210208_144342.jpg

20210208_144318.jpg

20210208_144257.jpg

Edited by Chudders

I see this on quite a lot of Marvel books.  Does CGC treat this a production defect, or does it knock down the grade?  It's a brand new book, so I assume it must be a production issue relating to Marvel's interesting choice of paper for its covers.

Any other thoughts about these types of defects would be much appreciated.  I want to fill a hole in my knowledge bank!

Edited by Chudders

7 hours ago, Chudders said:

I see this on quite a lot of Marvel books.  Does CGC treat this a production defect, or does it knock down the grade?  It's a brand new book, so I assume it must be a production issue relating to Marvel's interesting choice of paper for its covers.

Any other thoughts about these types of defects would be much appreciated.  I want to fill a hole in my knowledge bank!

Even certain manufacturing defects are downgraded if they're egregious. This probably falls under the "they all have it" umbrella...