• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing Thicker Comics

8 posts in this topic

Hello, I was wondering if it's a bad idea to submit thicker books for pressing. Specifically I'm thinking of submitting Amazing Spider-Man 365 which is a really thick book. It's in really good condition but has some non-color breaking bends near the spine. I've heard that pressing doesn't work that well for books that size. I'd like to know what thoughts you guys have on the matter. 

Amazing Spider-Man 365 while thicker than most comics is not as thick as a square bound comic which are pressed all the time.

What is the grade of your copy? Is it a news stand version?

Unless it has a strong chance at getting a CGC 9.8 I would not send an Amazing Spider-Man 365 for grading because in 9.6 the value is only $80.00

18 hours ago, Hairless Wookiee said:

Hello, I was wondering if it's a bad idea to submit thicker books for pressing. Specifically I'm thinking of submitting Amazing Spider-Man 365 which is a really thick book. It's in really good condition but has some non-color breaking bends near the spine. I've heard that pressing doesn't work that well for books that size. I'd like to know what thoughts you guys have on the matter. 

That book you more so need to be careful because of the hologram cover, not so much the thickness of the book. On thicker squarebound books, you need to be careful because they have staples in addition to glue added on the spine. If the staples inside are poking up and you press, you risk pushing those through the comic. On a book like this ASM book, just because it is a bit larger page count wise, it is still stapled the same as other comics so that worry is not there. But the hologram and adding heat...I am not sure how that has to be adjusted but I believe that is the pressing concern. 

2 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

That book you more so need to be careful because of the hologram cover, not so much the thickness of the book. On thicker squarebound books, you need to be careful because they have staples in addition to glue added on the spine. If the staples inside are poking up and you press, you risk pushing those through the comic. On a book like this ASM book, just because it is a bit larger page count wise, it is still stapled the same as other comics so that worry is not there. But the hologram and adding heat...I am not sure how that has to be adjusted but I believe that is the pressing concern. 

That's a good point. I hadn't considered the hologram. I'll probably just hold off since I don't think the book would get more than a 9.6 anyways. 

2 minutes ago, Hairless Wookiee said:

That's a good point. I hadn't considered the hologram. I'll probably just hold off since I don't think the book would get more than a 9.6 anyways. 

Ya if you want a 9.4-9.6 copy, they are relatively affordable and best purchased already graded. Plus, an abundance of these exist (remember print runs on comics in the 90s were in the 500000's compared to 100000 or so for mass published comics today. Unless it had a high personal value to you, or you just really love it, I would not grade or buy the grade I want rather than spend to grade and possibly be disappointed by the result.