• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What has happened to Comics ?
1 1

29 posts in this topic

On 2/12/2021 at 3:54 PM, Colin Nash said:

I suppose we have all noticed that buying and selling comics has changed forever. Since May 2020 we have never seen comics rocket in price to such stratospheric levels. Its not just vintage keys and the like, demand for anything new has seen comics like Starwars High Republic variants sell out within 1hr of going online..

This time last year we lived in a steady reliable comic market. A time to remember. Now its panic buying and selling at the highest prices in history. Auctions are still revealing even further growth such as 30% since December 2020. Thats just in 2 months !? This is on top of the 50%, or more, they gained in the previous 6 months. When will it end ? Must it end? 

I think comic investors at this time who pay such high prices to obtain a key issues will have to wait a number of years to realise any substantial profit. When you buy high you have to hope the market continues to grow rapidly, or be very patient over a number of years.

Can the comic market continue to sustain this sort of growth and will prices and demand level out?  If not, many comics will become the domain of the wealthy. What a sad enditement for thousands of comic collectors ambitions and aspirations.

Not all books are skyrocketing, granted some books has increased, but for the most part, the right books are climbing

Edited by Hollywood1892

14 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Please define “the right books”.

:popcorn:

WWBN

X-Men 1

Okay maybe nobody will agree with this one-Amazing Spider-Man 300( Venom is a prolific character, and yes it defies supply and demand, but that is healthy for the hobby)

Most Spidey villains

Fantastic Four 48,49,52

Fantastic Four 5

She Hulk 1 (She deserves it, even tho technically she doesn't exist)

Ultimate Fallout 4 (it's deserving, it introduces a new generation to comics)

Also tec 27 recently sold for an abundance of money 

I tried to balance it out a bit

Yeah and technically there is some  nonsense going on like X-Force 1

Edited by Hollywood1892

Just now, G G ® said:

I see no mention of the GA in this thread!   :sumo:

Sought after decent condition PCH= your very own piggy bank.

I'm really a SA collector. I don't speak for a lot of people, but I can imagine some frustration with nonsensical books rising in value, but it is peoples choice to buy 

I see two approaches to this wonderful hobby (there could be more).

Pure buyers have it easier, in my opinion. Buy what you like, and within your means, and there should be no regrets.

People trying to run a business, or buying and selling to make money to build their collection....there is certainly more risk. We have no idea how long this craziness is gonna last. Silver Surfer #3 has been on a hot streak because of the rumors of Mephisto showing up in Wandavision. You can go spend $2500 on an 8.0 right now, even though it was only selling for $1100 last month...and you still might make a good profit if you sell in the near future. Or......the Mephisto rumors may turn out to be false, and then you're either stuck with the book for awhile, or you sell for a major loss just to get some cash.

I enjoy the challenge of the latter...finding the right books that can give me more purchasing power to continue building my collection...but it's alot of work.

If the market eventually settles, or corrects itself, it will be sad to see some of this excitement gone, but I look forward to the new challenges that will bring.