• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

are sales slowing down on the boards?
9 9

197 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, thunsicker said:

Ok, so quick question on Instagram.  How do those of you who post slabs get the whole picture to show up?  I tried posting a few comics and it showed just a partial picture.  Do I need to retake photos with certain settings?

actually i learned the trick last night... There's a little double-sided diagonal arrow that you can hit in the bottom left-hand corner of the image when making your post that will expand it to full-size. Why the zoomed version is the default? No clue... Why you can't just crop like you can with your phone? No idea...

8 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

OK, I caved and finally bought a book on IG. Guess what? It arrived with an undisclosed missing centerfold. 

I received three books today from a recent Boards sale. Sent quickly, packed well and as described! Thanks @catrick339

Sorry to hear that.  If you paid with PayPal though, you most likely have buyer protection if the seller balks at taking it back.

3 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

actually i learned the trick last night... There's a little double-sided diagonal arrow that you can hit in the bottom left-hand corner of the image when making your post that will expand it to full-size. Why the zoomed version is the default? No clue... Why you can't just crop like you can with your phone? No idea...

There's an app called "No Crop" which should resolve this problem. I don't post without it. 

Here's my problem with Instagram:  One seller at a time.

Why go there when I can get multiple sellers, and multiple choices of books, on eBay and even these boards?

Way too much effort.  I think that those using IG are a penny wise and a pound foolish.  

8 hours ago, Robot Man said:

OK, I caved and finally bought a book on IG. Guess what? It arrived with an undisclosed missing centerfold. 

I received three books today from a recent Boards sale. Sent quickly, packed well and as described! Thanks @catrick339

(Blushes, just a tiny bit)

On 2/13/2021 at 7:04 PM, KCOComics said:

That's disappointing!

If the trend continues, I'll need to get a IG account. I've been a social media hold out and don't even really know where to start. 

+1

On 3/11/2021 at 9:59 PM, Robot Man said:

Yikes. That sucks. While I am 100% pro IG, I don't ever consider raw books there unless they are from a known and highly regarded seller (and even then...I prefer not to 99% of the time) and rather only deal with graded stuff due to the photo sizing on IG.

1 hour ago, Sauce Dog said:

Yikes. That sucks. While I am 100% pro IG, I don't ever consider raw books there unless they are from a known and highly regarded seller (and even then...I prefer not to 99% of the time) and rather only deal with graded stuff due to the photo sizing on IG.

I pretty much only buy raw books. 4.0/7.0 is my sweet spot although higher or lower is fine on the right book. I like to actually look through and read them. 

If I were a slab guy, I could probably buy with no photo or grade. I like to see what I am buying. I like sellers that take a few minutes to give me a little info. Hell, the guy I bought this book from obviously never opened it. 

IG is a great venue for people in a hurry. Books come and go quickly there and on to the next one. A flippers paradise. I don’t dwell forever on a purchase but when I spend my money, I want to be assured I am getting what I expected. 

Dealing here offers me the ability to post several detailed photos and offer a complete description. I have never had a return nor have I ever had to send a book back. 

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I pretty much only buy raw books. 4.0/7.0 is my sweet spot although higher or lower is fine on the right book. I like to actually look through and read them. 

If I were a slab guy, I could probably buy with no photo or grade. I like to see what I am buying. I like sellers that take a few minutes to give me a little info. Hell, the guy I bought this book from obviously never opened it. 

IG is a great venue for people in a hurry. Books come and go quickly there and on to the next one. A flippers paradise. I don’t dwell forever on a purchase but when I spend my money, I want to be assured I am getting what I expected. 

Dealing here offers me the ability to post several detailed photos and offer a complete description. I have never had a return nor have I ever had to send a book back. 

and that's why this place is awesome!

On 3/11/2021 at 6:59 PM, Robot Man said:

I don't think there's any question that trading on this board will yield the safest and most accurate results. 

Now AFA buying on Instagram, which I haven't yet delved into, if one sees a raw book he wants, can he not message the seller and ask him to verify that the page count is complete?

7 hours ago, fifties said:

I don't think there's any question that trading on this board will yield the safest and most accurate results. 

Now AFA buying on Instagram, which I haven't yet delved into, if one sees a raw book he wants, can he not message the seller and ask him to verify that the page count is complete?

I suppose so. But wouldn’t it be easier to sell a book if there was a short to the point description and say complete? Something more that one lousy front cover scan. Oh, I forgot, that would take a little effort...