• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cracking Signature Series comic to Press?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Quick question, apologies if it has been asked..

I have a few comics that I brought to a convention as a super noob, and literally pulled it from my 30 year old collection - the last time I touched it was probably 30 years ago - and got a few books signed and slabbed.... 

If they come back, from the greasy fingertips of a 16 year old, to the graders of CGC - I'm sure they would could have been 9.8 candidates with just a cursory press, and maybe a clean.

Does CGC do this with their pressing company?  Can they crack and press a comic that has been signed, and does CGC still honour the chain of possession/authentication?

Thanks, and cheers!

image.jpeg

58 minutes ago, Zesty Taquito said:

Quick question, apologies if it has been asked..

I have a few comics that I brought to a convention as a super noob, and literally pulled it from my 30 year old collection - the last time I touched it was probably 30 years ago - and got a few books signed and slabbed.... 

If they come back, from the greasy fingertips of a 16 year old, to the graders of CGC - I'm sure they would could have been 9.8 candidates with just a cursory press, and maybe a clean.

Does CGC do this with their pressing company?  Can they crack and press a comic that has been signed, and does CGC still honour the chain of possession/authentication?

Thanks, and cheers!

Yes.

Thanks!  I took great care of my comics as a kid.   And over time, properly storing them, and I think "forgetting about them", helped!

My whole collection is like this... so CGC will probably make a lot of money off me!  I just signed up, and submitted 10 books.   I had 4 of them pressed, and 3 more to be pressed by CGC for the Eastman event.

Aside from my autographed ones, I think I need to consider cracking open my 9.6 ASM 300, and my 8.5 Hulk 181.

When I submitted those, I honestly thought even "rubbing" them with a microfibre cloth, or pressing was a strict "no-no" and could get you a green label or whatever the bad label is...  Obviously, really worried about "re opening" those two, as I know there's no guarantee the grade would improve...

I'm so happy I found these chat boards and re-ignited my collecting passion (and, in my kids!)... I just need to learn how to "let go" of comics too!

Remember though... and apologies if you already know this but there are some out there that do not.

You have to send them in with their slabs.  CGC will crack them open.

If you send them in already cracked out they will no longer qualify for a yellow label EVEN IF you send the yellow label in with the book.