• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM - What If #49
2 2

18 posts in this topic

So on the advice of some helpful boardies I got the Overstreet grading guide and I've been practicing. I'm trying to get this grading thing down, wanted to ask if you folks could take a look at this and see if what I think the grade is jives with what you do. Everything is firmly attached, pages are white. Hope no one minds if I ask a few questions after.

surfer-front.jpeg

surfer-back.jpeg

20210217_085654.jpg

20210217_085704.jpg

20210217_085716.jpg

20210217_085633.jpg

The color break is in the same spot on both the front and back cover. Almost looks like something was used to grab it, no idea what that might be.

41 minutes ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

9.4, maybe 9.6 if the ink that's missing is deemed production. Can't tell if someone folded it forward, then backwards to cause that.

So, that's what I came up with also, 9.0. This comic isn't worth doing it for I don't think. But, if it was a higher value book, would a press to get that crease out on the top of the cover be worthwhile, move it to a 9.2 or 9.4?

8 hours ago, Funnybooks said:

5 hours ago, Galen130 said:

8 minutes ago, xvipah said:

So, that's what I came up with also, 9.0. This comic isn't worth doing it for I don't think. But, if it was a higher value book, would a press to get that crease out on the top of the cover be worthwhile, move it to a 9.2 or 9.4?

As long as it doesn't break the ink, then yes....good chance it will press out. (thumbsu

No worries, neither am I :) Just trying to get an idea of how this works. Thanks for your input!

1 minute ago, Galen130 said:

Honestly, I don't think so.  There is to much color-breakage there.  This is my opinion, of course.  I'm not an expert. (shrug)

It's a close call...even after a press, it's hard to see the book going for more than 8.5/9.0..one man's very uninformed opinion...the blunted corner may or may not make a significant impact on grade given the other more significant defects in totality for this particular copy or perhaps its the reason that holds the book back from reaching 9.0...it's not cut and dry