• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do cards with printing lines get docked in grading?

5 posts in this topic

I was just curious if anyone has had any experience getting cards, (especially older ones) with printing lines graded here, and if your submissions ended up getting points taken off for the printing lines? And if so, how much do you think it cost on your grade?

9 minutes ago, Lapsaes said:

I was just curious if anyone has had any experience getting cards, (especially older ones) with printing lines graded here, and if your submissions ended up getting points taken off for the printing lines? And if so, how much do you think it cost on your grade?

I sent in a Moltres Articuno Zapdos GX from the elite trainer box (not old I know) that had some factory defects and it got like a 5. I personally think it shouldnt have been that low, but at the same time, I dont think it probably deserved anything higher than an 8. I just had it graded to dump to an auction house that requires all cards to be graded to be resold. I got a bunch of Champions Path Charizard V's that I refuse to send in since all of them have some issue and they are too cheap to where its not worth my time. Granite yes these are mostly newer cards, but anything that comes out of a pack with some issues is not graded well.

If a card has factory errors that are basically damage like print line errors or scratching or edge issues, I just would treat it like a damaged card. Yeah it sucks that maybe you got it out of a pack and it came that way, but sadly the cards that come perfect are the ones with premiums. I know with older cards they have that weird foiling on the side that looks like its damaged, but a lot of old cards just had quality control issues. How many points you would get knocked off is hard to say but it just depends too on its centering as well.

Edited by mattyzeepgam

12 hours ago, mattyzeepgam said:

I sent in a Moltres Articuno Zapdos GX from the elite trainer box (not old I know) that had some factory defects and it got like a 5. I personally think it shouldnt have been that low, but at the same time, I dont think it probably deserved anything higher than an 8. I just had it graded to dump to an auction house that requires all cards to be graded to be resold. I got a bunch of Champions Path Charizard V's that I refuse to send in since all of them have some issue and they are too cheap to where its not worth my time. Granite yes these are mostly newer cards, but anything that comes out of a pack with some issues is not graded well.

If a card has factory errors that are basically damage like print line errors or scratching or edge issues, I just would treat it like a damaged card. Yeah it sucks that maybe you got it out of a pack and it came that way, but sadly the cards that come perfect are the ones with premiums. I know with older cards they have that weird foiling on the side that looks like its damaged, but a lot of old cards just had quality control issues. How many points you would get knocked off is hard to say but it just depends too on its centering as well.

Interesting. I recently pulled these two cards are from Champions Path Elite boxes. Other than what looks like the foil folding up to form a slightly lifted vertical line on the energy card, the rest of the card looks good. For the Trainer card, pretty much the same manufacturing type of error but located within the reverse holo effect.

20210119_164412.thumb.jpg.c0ab7c9b0afb5711b4c9e5d9f372a152.jpg

20210119_164526.thumb.jpg.a910afa6b5c28912dba03e77822aa37e.jpg