• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bad Robot's SUPERMAN produced by J.J. Abrams (TBD)

41 posts in this topic

On 7/27/2021 at 7:15 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

They're hiring a director based on skin color? That doesn't seem right...

Unfortunately this is becoming a gender pattern in Hollywood.

Remember with Captain Marvel 2/The Marvels Disney made it clear their new director would have to be a woman that understands the character.

:facepalm:

On 7/27/2021 at 9:49 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I suspect that MBJ's Val-Zod project will be infinitely more interesting than Abrams', assuming that they're still hellbent on bastardizing Clark Kent.

:(

I have a feeling WB Studios assumes now to counter any of the claims against it the strategy ahead is to one-up the thinking.

On 7/27/2021 at 9:49 AM, Bosco685 said:

Unfortunately this is becoming a gender pattern in Hollywood.

Remember with Captain Marvel 2/The Marvels Disney made it clear their new director would have to be a woman that understands the character.

:facepalm:

"We hired someone who is both a great director and knowledgeable about the character(s), who also happens to be woman."

Would anyone be bothered by such a statement? No sexism necessary.

On 7/27/2021 at 8:51 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

"We hired someone who is both a great director and knowledgeable about the character(s), who also happens to be woman."

Would anyone be bothered by such a statement? No sexism necessary.

That statement wouldn't both me, but then how could they call me sexist if the movie sucks?

On 7/27/2021 at 10:22 AM, D84 said:

That statement wouldn't both me, but then how could they call me sexist if the movie sucks?

On 7/27/2021 at 10:26 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

You're already a sexist by forcing them to take away Captain Marvel's sequel and turn it into a team-up!

captainmarveleverywhere.gif.035ad5620afc6fed637f23ffce28884e.gif

On 7/27/2021 at 7:15 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

They're hiring a director based on skin color? That doesn't seem right...

It’s no longer the best man or woman for the job. Everybody gets a trophy. 

In a recent interview with Gizmodo, Gunn was asked about the future of the Black Superman movie, and he revealed it may still move forward. While he hasn't read the -script yet, Gunn called it an "exciting movie" that would, much like The Batman and Joker, exist outside the main DC Universe continuity. He said:

"Those two things are totally unrelated. That’s an exciting movie. I know that Chantal Nong, who is the executive on that project, is extremely excited about it. So if it comes in and it’s great, which I haven’t read the -script, and if the timing is right, that could absolutely happen. That’s totally unrelated. It would be an Elseworlds tale like Joker."

But like...it couldn't be worse than Zack Snyder's absolute inability to understand Superman.

Sure...I get an Elseworlds Superman take inspired by Injustice - but instead he gave us a canonical DCEU Superman that was depressed, sullen and vengeful - absolutely antithetical to the 80+ year ethos of Superman as a character - an alien who took his adopted planet as it was and believed that mankind is inherently good, and constantly strove to appeal to the better angels of our nature, with an almost Ted Lasso-like optimism in the face of evil and adversity.

Instead, we got constipated McMustache face...

On 5/2/2023 at 1:11 PM, D84 said:

To hell in a hand basket?

Exactly!

Snyder had a vision where he was trying to take all the characters. Even with the originally announced spin-offs of 2014 with Aquaman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Cyborg and Green Lantern. WB just had no faith in its own vision, even though Jim Lee had helped sketch everything out on huge boards.

JL1.PNG.fb87c46fc07bb35bfc32fbb06a8bda18.PNG

JL2.PNG.5c014b76b0ca322db57d89f8b1a82a7e.PNG

JL3.PNG.fcbc0f86a807a6b917f2919938f38b15.PNG

On 5/2/2023 at 12:18 PM, Bosco685 said:

Exactly!

Snyder had a vision where he was trying to take all the characters. Even with the originally announced spin-offs of 2014 with Aquaman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Cyborg and Green Lantern. WB just had no faith in its own vision, even though Jim Lee had helped sketch everything out on huge boards.

JL1.PNG.fb87c46fc07bb35bfc32fbb06a8bda18.PNG

JL2.PNG.5c014b76b0ca322db57d89f8b1a82a7e.PNG

JL3.PNG.fcbc0f86a807a6b917f2919938f38b15.PNG

He had a plan and that didn't sit well with Warner Bros. 

On 5/2/2023 at 6:25 AM, Bosco685 said:

So confused now where Safran and Gunn are taking the DCU.

???

Agreed. Seriously there's a lot of money to be made with the Bat family.  Making a GOOD movie introducing them first would be my first priority. That way you can make a lot of different spin offs.