• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

raw books on ebay

9 posts in this topic

why does everyone sell there books on ebay way above the Overstreet guide price? Am I missing something here? I know it's only a guide to give you an idea on the value but ebay prices seem to be way off the mark, especially for low grade books in the silver and bronze era. Also books that are really beat up are being listed as very fine to near mint.

On 2/26/2021 at 2:54 PM, JRG8280 said:

why does everyone sell there books on ebay way above the Overstreet guide price? Am I missing something here? I know it's only a guide to give you an idea on the value but ebay prices seem to be way off the mark, especially for low grade books in the silver and bronze era. Also books that are really beat up are being listed as very fine to near mint.

it's buyer beware of the 'Bay.  Always check sold listings to see what the issue is getting (depending on condition)

Could be they're just hoping to get lucky - though  just because they ask for X doesn't mean they'd settle only for X.  If they accept offers just offer them what you're comfortable with (assuming you're happy with the shipping options/pictures etc) and if they don't then it doesn't hurt to send them a msg asking if they'd be willing to consider an offer.

Welcome To The Boards!!!

On any type of collectible, you as the consumer have to be able to judge the grade and overall condition of the book/item yourself to establish if the grade the seller assigned is accurate and the price is actual FMV.

Sellers can list books for any amount they choose and eventually may find someone to pay that price, sellers that list an item as "Buy It Now" may be willing to sit on that item for as long as it takes to sell at that price.

As far as grade, if a book is listed at a "specific" grade and it is not in that grade when it arrives I assume you could file a dispute for "Item Not As Described", however, it is better to know what you are getting before purchasing and if you have concerns then contact the seller.

If you want to know current FMV on any book use eBay Sold Auction Listings, these are prices people are actually paying for these books, look at auctions with at least 5 bidders and be sure that there was not a bidding war that artificially raised the price.

Resources to learn the grading standards/what each defect is and how to grade...

https://www.gemstonepub.com/en/the-overstreet-guide-to-grading-comics-6th-edition

https://comics.ha.com/tutorial/comics-grading.s?show=comicdefinitions

why does everyone sell there books on ebay way above the Overstreet guide price? Am I missing something here? 

A lot of people list high realizing it only takes 1 drunk/high/uninformed person to click that button and overpay. 

Edited by HotKey
Fixed english

I would suggest checking other sites that sell raw books. There are quite few of them and many advertise in Overstreet. The bay is dangerous with the constant disclaimer, "I'm not a professional grader but I play one one ebay. This comic looks just super nice."

The observation to check the sold listings is spot on. 

The overpriced books you see on ebay are there because... Everyone knows they're overpriced. If someone lists a desirable book at a good price it won't last long.  When I was building my collection I would refresh my saved searches many times an hour to pounce on any good deals. If you just look casually you're typically going to see the terribly priced books everyone in the know has rejected.

And I said "typically", of course there are exceptions to everything. 

Welcome to the boards!!

I started listing raw books here in the forums based on the OSGB every year, but I actually give a grade estimate based on reality...not out of greed.  I try to price accordingly, with a little bit of wiggle room sometimes.  I'm selling to the collector's here on the site, but they will let me know if something ain't right with a book and/or the grade.  That hasn't happened yet, so I must be doing it right.

I closed my Feebay account last year, after 20 years, because of a myriad of issues like what you're describing.  No one's perfect, but I believe in doing it right and not deceiving my customers...even if they don't have a clue about comic grading.  At least here in the CGC forums, people can ask those questions and look for help without getting 'beat up' about it....for the most part. (thumbsu

Everyone does things their own way, but I personally find these boards a much better environment for comic collecting than eBay.  That's just my personal opinion. (worship)

what-happens-whenyou-voice-your-opinion-online-opinion-memes-best-53110669.png

Comics are hot right now and sellers can price them however high they want. If the book is too high, then it simply won't sell. 

As simple as that.

If you want to buy at market price, then buy in actual auctions.