• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Custom horror/scifi labels incoming

16 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

They look fun I guess. But, a cheap way for them to get PCH suckers to resubmit more books for a new label. Personally, I rather not have anything interfering with beauty of the book within the slab. 

Great point. The cover says it all. The labels are gratuitous. 

I kind of like them. But...

As someone who graduated from art school, we'd get requests (or contests) like this all the time.

Yes, it's a cool opportunity for a student, but it's generally only done by companies too cheap to pay for actual work. 

CGC can afford to hire some incredible illustrators who would have done better labels. \

They paid the students $500, $250, and $100.

rantrant

(But hey, one of these artists could turn out to be the next Will Eisner, so who knows?)

7 minutes ago, MatterEaterLad said:

I kind of like them. But...

As someone who graduated from art school, we'd get requests (or contests) like this all the time.

Yes, it's a cool opportunity for a student, but it's generally only done by companies too cheap to pay for actual work. 

CGC can afford to hire some incredible illustrators who would have done better labels. \

They paid the students $500, $250, and $100.

rantrant

(But hey, one of these artists could turn out to be the next Will Eisner, so who knows?)

I also graduated from art school and remember the same thing. Companies would come in offering that great "opportunity" and throwing some stripper change at us in order to get away from paying "real professionals". And hey, I would do it not realizing I was being taken advantage of.

This is just another money grab to convince stupid people to re holder their books for a price. They have done it several times before obviously with some decent success. rantrantrantrant

14 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I also graduated from art school and remember the same thing. Companies would come in offering that great "opportunity" and throwing some stripper change at us in order to get away from paying "real professionals". And hey, I would do it not realizing I was being taken advantage of.

You were a stripper in college??? hm @lizards2

Personally I wouldn't want one for a blue label, but I do think it adds a cool effect when they are on a yellow label.

I do like the labels but I think would of been nice if we could of got only one pre horror and then a war label and then a label for golden age heroes just so the was more options considering in my opinion we only have few label choices now and not many are that good