• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What movie based "key" are you most annoyed by?

153 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Namtak said:

Honnêtement the worst is from an animated series,it really bugs me out its creepy as hell and its everywhere even in transformers(what a disgrace).i know a lot like those comics but i dont

mlp-transformers-2-1253147.jpeg

I don't understand your objection. Is this considered a "key"?

6 minutes ago, the blob said:

I don't understand your objection. Is this considered a "key"?

Maybe not that one but some of those comics are beginning to rise in price surprisingly those....pony.....

Edited by Namtak

11 minutes ago, Namtak said:

Maybe not that one but some of those comics are beginning to rise in price surprisingly those....pony.....

The MLP books have a weird Brony sub culture that collects them, maybe. I've never read them. I've actually watched the new cartoon a few times. It can actually be clever. And now that marijuana is legal in so many more places it might be even more clever.

40 minutes ago, the blob said:

how wrecked was your copy? i've wanted a decent copy for a while. i never saw anything remotely affordable recently/

FWIW, TOD #10 is a book I've always felt was overvalued, even 5-10 years ago. It's one of a handful of books I need to complete my run. It's been a low-priority though, and I am still trying to come around to the idea that Blade should command such a premium. He was always a B or C-lister to me.

43 minutes ago, the blob said:

how wrecked was your copy? i've wanted a decent copy for a while. i never saw anything remotely affordable recently/

It wasn’t  the worst copy probably a 5 to 6 luckily the guy I bought it of runs a antique shop and he found it in a suitcase he’d bought 20 year’s ago and had recently just found it so he offered me it for 105 with a couple of readers thrown in 

4 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

FWIW, TOD #10 is a book I've always felt was overvalued, even 5-10 years ago. It's one of a handful of books I need to complete my run. It's been a low-priority though, and I am still trying to come around to the idea that Blade should command such a premium. He was always a B or C-lister to me.

I was standing next to a board member that no longer posts here at the Carbo show (NYCBM?) back in 2016 and I debated buying a TOD 10 in 8.5 for $400.  He told me to do it.  I said the same thing that you just did.   I don't regret it because I bought other books that I have more of an interest in.  The problem, and even if it is a problem, is that Marvel keeps taking these B, C, and even D list characters and turning them into popular characters within the comic book world.   Scarlet Witch and Vision were always C-Listers.  Groot?  E-List if that.  Jimmy Woo?   well maybe not so much Jimmy Woo... 

I actually picked up a 1st Jimmy Woo in Yellow Claw 1 since I genuinely liked the Agents of Atlas series. 

On 2/27/2021 at 11:12 AM, rjpb said:

I don't collect this stuff, so I can be more amused than annoyed by the sudden jump in value of books that hadn't been considered important a few months before. Some of it I understand, like FF 52, where a former B lister, whose first appearance was arguably under appreciated for a long time, catches fire as the character shows an ability to sustain greater fandom. The stuff that seems like a joke, are the first appearances of minor villains and supporting characters who get their brief day in the sun in a movie or TV show, causing a 10 fold jump in a matter of months for these issues, which will undoubtably be unsustainable, and cause a case of "Whiplash" to those who bought at the top before they plummet. 

A close equivalent in Golden Age, is when the collecting community decides that a book with an cool cover, but not one that had historically been considered "classic", is now worthy of that designation, and the book multiplies in value practically overnight. Silver Age collectors should get ready for that, as well as classic battle covers jumping even higher, as first appearance keys become super-expensive and collectors gravitate towards books that look cool, regardless of the contents.

I'd say a close equivalent to your close equivalent is the run-up on post-code Atomic Era Atlas. I've collected these for years and enjoy them, but they don't hold a candle to regular PCH, with their often humdrum light fantasy stories with ho-hum art. It's kind of baffling to me; it's akin to seeing mid-run Sgt. Furys spike.

12 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I was standing next to a board member that no longer posts here at the Carbo show (NYCBM?) back in 2016 and I debated buying a TOD 10 in 8.5 for $400.  He told me to do it.  I said the same thing that you just did.   I don't regret it because I bought other books that I have more of an interest in.  The problem, and even if it is a problem, is that Marvel keeps taking these B, C, and even D list characters and turning them into popular characters within the comic book world.   Scarlet Witch and Vision were always C-Listers.  Groot?  E-List if that.  Jimmy Woo?   well maybe not so much Jimmy Woo... 

I actually picked up a 1st Jimmy Woo in Yellow Claw 1 since I genuinely liked the Agents of Atlas series. 

Luckily I completed my Yellow Claw run ages ago. Never read Agents of Atlas but always liked the original books. I wouldn't mind upgrading some but I don't know if that's in the cards.

15 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

Thats the great thing about comics,they improve their characters,and blade always had potential its just his initial appearance fighting with Wood spike and the look in general(whats the deal with these gogles ) but with midnight sons in the nineties the character  was kicking a## besides gohtrider and such.it was awsome.geof johns did wonder in dc univers with green lantern to begin and brought back rogue galeries at it best with captain cold.come on captain cold was almost forgotten with the new found popularité of mr freeze thanks to batman animated adventure finally creating a décent origin story.i really like it when good writer bring them to a whole new level.take groot per exemple,it only took thermites to annihilate him, now thanks to bendis run of guardian of galaxy  he is awsome .im all for it.but groot first book the cover is still awsome nuff said

In all honesty I really liked the cover for TOD 10 sort of making me want to get another copy but still looking for that Luke cage 1 then again I never understood what was with the goggles 

Just now, Pontoon said:

I'd say a close equivalent to your close equivalent is the run-up on post-code Atomic Era Atlas. I've collected these for years and enjoy them, but they don't hold a candle to regular PCH, with their often humdrum light fantasy stories with ho-hum art. It's kind of baffling to me; it's akin to seeing mid-run Sgt. Furys spike.

I think as the GA collecting community has become more cover oriented, the appreciation for Everett's post-code fantasy covers in particular has increased, as even though the lack the traditional horror iconography of skeletons and such, they are often quite effectively moody. There's also stronger interest in Atlas in general, for all genres, pre and post code. I know what you mean though, I would sometimes pick post-code Atlas fantasy with covers I liked because they were cheap, and while still not that expensive, they aren't exactly cheap anymore either.

38 minutes ago, Tghutcn said:

It wasn’t  the worst copy probably a 5 to 6 luckily the guy I bought it of runs a antique shop and he found it in a suitcase he’d bought 20 year’s ago and had recently just found it so he offered me it for 105 with a couple of readers thrown in 

ok, so you paid $105 for a mid-grade in a world that probably didn't know what it was worth, although maybe $100 was a bout right for a mid-grade one a few years ago. i bought a nice X-Men 266 for 50 cents at a flee market. Immediately sold it for $75-100. That didn't make x-men 266 a 50 cent book. 

11 minutes ago, Tghutcn said:

In all honesty I really liked the cover for TOD 10 sort of making me want to get another copy but still looking for that Luke cage 1 then again I never understood what was with the goggles 

doesn't he have a sensitivity to light because he is part vampire?

21 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

The Yellow claw stuff isn't so easy to find. That helps make it pretty expensive.

20 minutes ago, Namtak said:

Thats the great thing about comics,they improve their characters,and blade always had potential its just his initial appearance fighting with Wood spike and the look in general(whats the deal with these gogles ) but with midnight sons in the nineties the character  was kicking a## besides gohtrider and such.it was awsome.geof johns did wonder in dc univers with green lantern to begin and brought back rogue galeries at it best with captain cold.come on captain cold was almost forgotten with the new found popularité of mr freeze thanks to batman animated adventure finally creating a décent origin story.i really like it when good writer bring them to a whole new level.take groot per exemple,it only took thermites to annihilate him, now thanks to bendis run of guardian of galaxy  he is awsome .im all for it.but groot first book the cover is still awsome nuff said

Blade was Marvel's first foray into movies. Before Spiderman. Before X-Men. Before Iron Man. He had THREE movies (which means the first two made money). And Ryan Reynolds years before Deadpool or Wolverine or Green Lantern. And a terrible TV show. Blade has the potential to make a comeback. Definitely. BUT BUT BUT...vampire hunter shows are like lawyers in New York, you see one every 10 feet. He need to tie into the MCU. He needs to be Marvel's Vampire hunter. That's the mistake with Hellstrom. Demon exorcist shows are a dime a dozen too. They needed to tie him into the MCU early. He needed to be Marvel's Demon Exorcist.

Edited by the blob

22 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Yellow Claw #1 would be a cool book even Marvel had continued to ignore Jimmy Woo after the Silver Age. I felt it was undervalued for the longest time. YC (and Jimmy) were integrated into the Marvel Universe back in the Silver Age, and it's arguably the first SA Marvel book. After the mind-boggling run-up of Black Knight #1, which has an even looser connection to the current Marvel Universe, including the cinematic one, it was only inevitable that Yellow Claw #1 would start picking up interest as well.  

I also like the book because its the rare title from the era in which the villain is the title character.

3 minutes ago, the blob said:

ok, so you paid $105 for a mid-grade in a world that probably didn't know what it was worth, although maybe $100 was a bout right for a mid-grade one a few years ago. i bought a nice X-Men 266 for 50 cents at a flee market. Immediately sold it for $75-100. That didn't make x-men 266 a 50 cent book. 

I completely agree with you that Tomb of Dracula wasn’t a 105 book at that point then again I can say the same about a lot of keys I’ve bought over the years whether that’s overpaid  or underpaid for them one thing you learn is just because you bought that book for that doesn’t mean that’s the market price 

3 minutes ago, rjpb said:

Yellow Claw #1 would be a cool book even Marvel had continued to ignore Jimmy Woo after the Silver Age. I felt it was undervalued for the longest time. YC (and Jimmy) were integrated into the Marvel Universe back in the Silver Age, and it's arguably the first SA Marvel book. After the mind-boggling run-up of Black Knight #1, which has an even looser connection to the current Marvel Universe, including the cinematic one, it was only inevitable that Yellow Claw #1 would start picking up interest as well.  

I also like the book because its the rare title from the era in which the villain is the title character.

Yup, good luck finding some of these. Yellow Claw 1 in 2.0 is $500+++ https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yellow-Claw-1-CGC-2-0-1st-Marvel-Silver-age-comic/363213701865?hash=item54913942e9:g:qW8AAOSw0lxf0O-M

19 minutes ago, rjpb said:

Plus, after the mostly-Maneely first issue, it's a Jack Kirby extravaganza, especially # 4 with those John Severin inks. :cloud9:

5 minutes ago, rjpb said:

I agree.  I just looked it up on GPA to see what I had paid, (213 back in 2013 for a 4.5) and I was surprised to note a few things.  

• The book has not experienced the growth that other books have over the past eight years but that might be due to lack of availability.
  • It's not a book that seems to be around in great quantity given the number of trades and even those that are available. 
  • The census is pretty bleak when it comes to availability of this book showing only 53 slabbed copies with 4 of those being restored
  • Highest graded copy is restored 8.5
  • Highest graded unrestored is a 8.0
  • There are no recorded sales of books graded any higher than a 7.0 going by GPA. 
  • Most common grade is a 3.5 which seems to the book's sweet spot in the census. 

If you get the chance read through Agents of Atlas and the follow up series.  It was a modern series that I enjoyed so much it persuaded me to hunt down the first appearances eight years ago.   It was a fun read especially with other 'forgotten' Atlas heroes like Gorilla Man. 

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 1.08.48 PM.png

YellowClaw1cgc45a copy.jpg