• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers #1 Under graded? (Grade Revealed!)

28 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

Here it is......Some of you were rather close with the 7.0 opinions. My personal feeling is that it could be a 7.5-8.0 if there isn't anything i'm not seeing in the scan. Question now for me is......Should I pay a 7.0/7.5 price for a 6.5 book?  Additionally, there is the risk/stress of breaking a book that cost several thousand dollars out of its current slab for re-grading and submission.

RADDBABA20181221_135846.thumb.jpg.ca27ba3abe10321062762b8a16c30423.jpg

I'll say this much: If you want a 7.0, 8.0, 9.0  Avengers 1, go buy one. If you want to buy a 6.5 that looks like a 7.0, save some money and do it. Just pay a 6.5 price for it. I have many 7.0-7.5 that look like 9.0. They are a part of my collection and selling isn't high on my priority list. I don't want a rat looking book and I don't need 9.8's, either. Just a nice, presentable book. A little character never hurt anyone.

Thing that worries me most is the lower right corner.  Hard to see exactly what's going on there.  Is there paper loss?  Bug chew?  The scan has a weird artifact where it looks like the whole cover is woven, which makes some stuff hard to make out.  And there is, as you noted, a lot of Marvel pre-chipping going on.  My gut impression was a 7.0

On 2/27/2021 at 7:08 PM, Randall Ries said:

I'll say this much: If you want a 7.0, 8.0, 9.0  Avengers 1, go buy one. If you want to buy a 6.5 that looks like a 7.0, save some money and do it. Just pay a 6.5 price for it. I have many 7.0-7.5 that look like 9.0. They are a part of my collection and selling isn't high on my priority list. I don't want a rat looking book and I don't need 9.8's, either. Just a nice, presentable book. A little character never hurt anyone.

Very well said.

The book looks much nicer than a 6.5 but it sounds like the seller is asking for a hefty premium. It's a nice looking 7.0 to me.

Update:  I didn't buy the book.  But after going back to look again it appears someone has offered $9,500 which was the original selling price.  Personally, I just couldn't pull the trigger, as nice as it was for the grade, it was just too far above average selling price.

Edited by Mr.Fantastic

2 minutes ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

Update:  I didn't buy the book.  But after going back to look again it appears someone has offered $9,500 which was the original selling price.  Personally, I just couldn't pull the trigger, as nice as it was for the grade, it was just too far above average selling price.

Just looked again.  While someone offered the asking price of $9,500 appears the seller upped the price to $9,999. Good grief, Seller's prerogative i guess.