• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions for tape removal on a GA Champion Comics #3 (1940)
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am new to the boards, this topic is in search some advice.

The Champion Comics #3 below has a good bit of tape on it. I get the spine because it is completely detached... I'm scratching my head about the other three pieces in the bottom right corner area.

The largest of those three pieces (approx. 3" long) is covering two small - less than 1/4" tears. The diagonal piece is over a bend that isn't ripped, and the third around his shoulder just appears to have been put on there for the sake of putting it on. I think all three on the bottom corner were preventative measures perhaps.

My question is, in your opinion, would a professional tape removal in these three areas help the grade of the book? Do you think it would be worth the price of the service? I don't plan to sell the book any time soon but the tape does frustrate me.

Thanks. I appreciate your time.

IMG_2114.thumb.jpg.9c353ffb848429c9ca6b95cde43bc03f.jpg

First, I'd like to thank you for putting up a book that I don't remember seeing before---what a treat! 

As far as the tape goes, sometimes people put tape on books for no particular reason whatsoever or as you stated, as a "preventative measure." In this situation, it looks like it could be a little of both. If the cover is completely detached, you're looking at a pretty serious grade reduction. And I believe CGC will disregard the tape repair and grade the book according to the flaws that are present. So either way, you're looking at a pretty low grade the way it sits. If you're willing to spend the time and expense and this book is something you really treasure, a good conservator may be able to improve the grade and remove the tape. Good luck...