• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

is it worth getting cards graded

6 posts in this topic

How would they even determine if something is worth it for YOU to get something graded? Does Cgc know the ins and outs of your financial situation and your business models?  Do they have a deep understanding of your collection goals?  Do they know the opportunity costs of you sinking your money into grading while waiting for your stuff to get graded?  do they understand your level of risk comfortability with sending your valuables to strangers in Florida who will handle and grade and encase your cards?  Even if they had all this information would you trust them to find and tell you the objective truth?  They have literal financial motive to get you to pay them for their services.  

The answer is....."It Depends".  If you expect them to come back in high grade, or they are valuable or rare (even in low grade) then I would say yes.  If you have a handful of 80's and 90's common cards then No, don't waste your time and money on them. The only exception I could see to this is if the cards hold some kind of sentimental value to you and you want to preserve them. Out of curiosity, what cards did you have in mind?  As a former card collector I submitted hundreds to PSA.

Edited by Mr.Fantastic

I have submitted cards to BGS, and my friends moved over to PSA. Send in a small batch, test run. I only send in cards if I think it will be a BGS 9.5. At one point BGS was the way to go, but PSA 10 prices have gone up. It is totally worth it if you pull a card from a pack and handle it correctly. The real problem is the wait and cost. BGS does not give you a time frame for grading (because of long wait time.) If the card will not grade well, then not worth it. Never know until you try. Look at them well.