• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My two cents...add a service where you can pay to get grader's notes
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I received my first submission of books at the end of January and was very happy with the process.  I know, folks will mention the long waiting times but where so many like myself have been introduced into this new world of CGC due to Covid. (honestly 12 months ago I didn't know what a slab was) its to be understood.

There was only one issue that I had with the entire process.  When I received my 24 modern book submission back I had one grader note, that was it.  All the books came back as a 9.0 and above save one, which was a 8.0 with the note.  Being a newbie I guessed that only notes under say a 9.0 received a grader note.  I posted a message on the forums and found out that some folks had notes for books graded as high as a 9.6.  So I emailed Customer Service for an explanation.  This was the answer I received, " Grader Notes are made at the graders' discretion; they are not a guaranteed part of the service but are provided as a courtesy to paid members and dealers when available."

I'm guessing with wait times increasing exponentially that these notes are going to go the way of the dodo.  Look I'm cool with 35 business days from the "received" to the "quality control", I get it, CGC is busy.  But I don't like the fact that due to a luck of the draw that my grader decided to provide one note out of twenty-four, while another may have done ten, maybe twenty, maybe zero.  The one note read, light bends to cover, light creasing to cover.  I have to think that in grading a book it takes what, five to ten minutes maybe, to do it justice (I honestly don't know).  Typing that grader note took all of what maybe ten to fifteen seconds.  For twenty-three other books five minutes tops?  The grader has a reason for the grade, a few words as to why would be warranted I have to think.  

What I would ask of the CGC is to place an optional service where you can pay to get grader's notes.  It makes the clients happy and provides a new revenue stream, win/win.  My wanting to read the notes was to learn more about the grading process, see what the grader sees.  Two reasons for this, I would understand the process as well as an entertainment value of sorts. I'm guessing that is what other folks ascertain from the notes. 

Either provide notes or don't at least make it uniform or better yet, make it a service.  I'd gladly pay.

Thank you for taking time to read my manifesto. :)

• Administrator

Hi, thanks for your feedback.  Certainly, it would be great if the graders could put detailed notes on all the books we grade.  Unfortunately, it just is not practical with the sheer volume of books we have.  Currently, the graders will only put a note in the system if they want to bring something to the attention of another grader.  That is the primary function of the graders' notes.  They are not there specifically for the customer but as a means of communication between our graders.  We allow the customers access to the notes as a courtesy but many time the graders just don't have a need to notate something for another grader and in that case, no note will be entered. 

If you have any questions, please let us know.  Thank you!

Hi Jennifer, thank you for the replay post.  I have to apologize, I was way off on what grader's notes were.  In searching graders notes and reading more about them I can see what you were referring to as far as they are used between graders.

Thanks again :)

The current use of the grader's notes internally makes sense. Us consumers wanting an option for a detailed explanation of the reasons used for the grade given also makes sense.

Why can't CGC add a couple options when submitting: Quick notes (1-2 sentences) - $4.99 / Detailed notes (1-2 paragraphs) - $9.99

I know I would pay for that service on several submissions.