Bigger Silver Age Key: X-Men 1 or ASM 1?
1 1

Bigger Silver Age Key: X-Men 1 or ASM 1  

76 members have voted

1. 1. What’s the Bigger Silver Age Key?

• X-Men 1
    • Amazing Spider-Man 1
    • Don’t know/unsure

41 posts in this topic

Since I own an AF #15, I am going to go with X-Men #1. Some of us grew up reading the Chris Claremont / Dave Cockrum / John Byrne run. I can honestly say that I was so anxious for the next issue to come out when Claremont and Bryne were working on the Hellfire Club / Dark Phoenix storyline.

Now, if I didn't own an AF #15, my answer might be different. Although, Amazing Spider-Man #1 was the first Marvel key I ever bought. $300 in May, 1980.

Edited by Math Teacher

I own both AF15 and X-Men 1. But as far as ASM 1 versus X-Men 1 I will pick X-Men 1 for sure without any doubts.

Top 5 for me are:

1- AF 15

2- Hulk 1

3- X-Men 1

4- JIM 83

5- SC 4 or FF 1

I am sorry but  FF 1 is not as popular as the 4 books I mentioned ahead of it with this generation. I prefer SC 4 over FF 1. The Flash is way cooler.  I feel like FF is the SA book that just does not cut it with people these days same as Superman in the GA.

Edited by Batmanis#1

I did vote for X1 simply because Spidey doesn't have a significant first appearance. 

But I don't think it's a slam dunk.  Spiderman was the most transcendent SA character. His solo title launched a ton of great characters and stories.  The launch of Spidey's solo title is a big deal and it's Spiderman over X-Men all day.  

But the wasn't the question. As an individual book, I think X1 is the better key. 

6 hours ago, rabidwolf said:

I know many will disagree but

X-men 1 has spawned most of the marvel universe as we know it today 

I don’t think any other single marvel key including AF15 has been as  influential 

One might argue FF1 spawned the Marvel universe as we know it today. It brought a more soap opera'esq real life human stories into the world of superhero's. It's almost irrefutable that without FF1 there would have not been X-Men or Spider-Man. 

X-Men 1 hands down for me.  We have all seen the explosion in prices for both books and I would expect to see X-Men 1 continue its meteoric rise for a bit.  As previously mentioned, X-Men 1 introduces so many iconic characters.  But also the social issues and questions raised by X-Men 1 will continue to resonate for the foreseeable future with many generations.  

3 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

i've owned 3 x-1's, never felt the zing from any of them.   spidey 1 zings me.  so, asm 1 got my vote.

I can see that. Up until 2019, X-Men 1 was dirt cheap and considered a lesser book to GSX 1 by a lot of collectors.

It is the opposite for me for one reason - ASM 1 is just the second appearance of Spidey. AF 15 is much more special to hold, and used to be way harder to find. That being said, I sold all of my AF 15s over time as well since I prefer cold hard cash. My X-Men 1s are trending the same way. lol 

On 3/9/2021 at 9:54 AM, www.alexgross.com said:

its pretty clear that the first appearance of the most popular superhero team of the 80s, 90s and beyond is far more significant than the first appearance of j jonah jameson. 

Unfortunately I can’t “ laugh 😂 at this - but I concur - and spot on 💯 

40 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

i've owned 3 x-1's, never felt the zing from any of them.   spidey 1 zings me.  so, asm 1 got my vote. 

34 minutes ago, kimik said:

I can see that. Up until 2019, X-Men 1 was dirt cheap and considered a lesser book to GSX 1 by a lot of collectors.

It is the opposite for me for one reason - ASM 1 is just the second appearance of Spidey. AF 15 is much more special to hold, and used to be way harder to find. That being said, I sold all of my AF 15s over time as well since I prefer cold hard cash. My X-Men 1s are trending the same way. lol 

That's what really makes the recent X1 surge so interesting. When I bought my X1 I didn't feel like I was grabbing a major key. It wasn't like I planned and plotted and waited for the right copy. It was like "oh neat, I'll grab that too".

Given what's happened over the last year, I'm really glad I have it.  But all of this enthusiasm is kind of crazy given where this book stood with collectors for so long. 

Spiderman 1 was a book you planned and plotted for. So this pole being so 1 sided is really a new development. At any point over the last 50 years if you ran this pole, I would wager it would have gone the other way. But Xmen are hot. 

All that said, I voted for X1 because AF15 is the first Spiderman.