• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need some opinions on this Fantastic Worlds 6 Miscut or Trimmed
1 1

21 posts in this topic

Just recently started submitting books from my personal collection. This is a nice looking copy I would like to send but I think it’s miscut on the right edge or trimmed, hoping it’s just miscut. The edge looks clean there’s a small color flake under the issue number. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

A8C81017-48F6-4BD9-BC5E-800CD25D52D7.jpeg

A6F22150-ED32-4DB4-B65A-81BE0E788BE3.jpeg

3C641CB0-45F3-47F6-A953-C4DE4085BF1C.jpeg

Thanks it’s a really awesome image for sure, I think it’s Alex Toth. I saw that label when I was submitting the other day I almost used it for my planet comics 51. Just spent a bit much to do labels if you know what I mean, lol shipping costs!

To me, the book appears to be seriously size deficient left to right. Not by a little, but by quite a bit, so a closer look at the edge would be wise even without an overt tell for trim. 

Based on what I can see of the edges in these images, I do see what I would consider causes for concern if this was an Atlas, Marvel, or DC issue. But it's not and publications by other companies can and do have their own types of inconsistencies. 

In this case, based on what I can see of the edges and taking the stunted lft to right size into account, if you really want the definitive answer, the only way of getting that will be through submission to CGC. 

Thanks for taking a look, I’m going to err on the side of caution for now. I do know it’s not the normal width for that book by looking at other examples. I’ll look into it more before making a decision.

Edited by Carats
Spelling error

3 hours ago, Carats said:

Thanks for taking a look, I’m going to err on the side of caution for now. I do know it’s not the normal width for that book by looking at other examples. I’ll look into it more before making a decision.

You can't always go by comparing it to other copies. There can be a variation in sizes based on the production quality of the time. I can't say if it's trimmed or not from a scan but I have seen plenty of old comics with a cut similar to that or even a more severe cut that were not trimmed.

Impossible to tell from a photo, but that it is a trapezoid cut, which is not uncommon on old comics, leads me to believe it's probably not trimmed, as who would do such a clean trim and not line up the blade for an even cut? But the only way to know with any degree of certainty would be to submit. I've submitted a couple of books with concerning edge cuts that came back blue, but had fingers crossed.  

On 3/10/2021 at 11:19 AM, Jeffro. said:

You can't always go by comparing it to other copies. There can be a variation in sizes based on the production quality of the time. I can't say if it's trimmed or not from a scan but I have seen plenty of old comics with a cut similar to that or even a more severe cut that were not trimmed.

This is true, I have seen worse with a blue label. Thanks

13 hours ago, rjpb said:

Impossible to tell from a photo, but that it is a trapezoid cut, which is not uncommon on old comics, leads me to believe it's probably not trimmed, as who would do such a clean trim and not line up the blade for an even cut? But the only way to know with any degree of certainty would be to submit. I've submitted a couple of books with concerning edge cuts that came back blue, but had fingers crossed.  

I have another book with a similar cut an old Air Fighters comic and the edge is also clean. Very good points thanks for your insight.

28 minutes ago, Carats said:

I have another book with a similar cut an old Air Fighters comic and the edge is also clean. Very good points thanks for your insight.

I'm impressed by the overall quality of this copy. Even if the technical grade isn't in the NM range, it has a really nice clean look to it.

As far as the trimming goes, it's tough to say for sure. Personally, this is a book that I'd just keep in a nice mylar so I could take it out and enjoy it every so often; it seems like a shame to encase it in a plastic tomb. Just my 2 cents...

27 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

I'm impressed by the overall quality of this copy. Even if the technical grade isn't in the NM range, it has a really nice clean look to it.

As far as the trimming goes, it's tough to say for sure. Personally, this is a book that I'd just keep in a nice mylar so I could take it out and enjoy it every so often; it seems like a shame to encase it in a plastic tomb. Just my 2 cents...

Very true, this is also an option to consider. It’s been in Mylar and fullback for several years and still looks to be keeping page quality which is nice.

5 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

After another look, although I do detect what I may be misreading as a slight "wobble" to the cut on the right edge, that is, in and out fluctuations more likely to be caused by the unconscious undulations/subtle angle changes of the wrist and hand during the length of the cut (and again, difficult to interpret precisely because the pics are not high rez thus not subject to great enlargement without pixelating), I can however conclude one thing by what I can see clearly; that the right edge is eitehr factory cut, as the normal page to page end symmetry is evident, or if trimmed, all of the pages, and each page was trimmed individually.  I'd put the chances at 75/25 not trimmed. IMO, it will grade blue. 

Edited by James J Johnson

2 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

After another look, although I do detect what I may be misreading as a slight "wobble" to the cut on the right edge, that is, in and out fluctuations more likely to be caused by the unconscious undulations/subtle angle changes of the wrist and hand during the length of the cut (and again, difficult to interpret precisely because the pics are not high rez thus not subject to great enlargement without pixelating), I can however conclude one thing by what I can see clearly; that the right edge is eitehr factory cut, as the normal page to page end symmetry is evident, or if trimmed, all of the pages, and each page was trimmed individually.  I'd put the chances at 75/25 not trimmed. IMO, it will grade blue. 

If CGC arrives at the same 75/25 ratio, it's unlikely they'll hit it for trimming either...

11 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

If CGC arrives at the same 75/25 ratio, it's unlikely they'll hit it for trimming either...

I have complete confidence that having the book in-hand for closeup inspection, CGC will narrow down the odds considerably more and then the OP would know to almost, if not complete certainty.

On 3/9/2021 at 6:22 PM, Lightning55 said:

I can't help you on the trimming aspect, but I just wanted to say I LOVE that cover.  Super rich colors, very appealing. 

There's a new Sci-Fi custom label you can get that might go perfectly with it, if you're into the label thing at all.  https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/8912/

Very cool...