• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is going on?
1 1

22 posts in this topic

I've been watching sales on Ebay and HA over the last couple of months, and over the last month or so, I am seeing some crazy sales that do not appear to be one-off anomalies. For example, Giant Size X-Men #1 (8.5):  The average of the last 5 sales (all in March) is ~$7,400 compared to ~$3,500 average in December. I see numerous examples of 30%-100% higher sales over a few month period, with the biggest increases happening in the last 30 days. Granted, I am looking mostly at SA keys, but I'm not including books like SS #3, Avengers #8, etc..

For those that are familiar with the comic book market, is there something in particular that is driving prices up significantly over the last couple months? The MCU has been going for a long time, so maybe the Disney/Marvel situation?

38 minutes ago, Slyde said:

I've been watching sales on Ebay and HA over the last couple of months, and over the last month or so, I am seeing some crazy sales that do not appear to be one-off anomalies. For example, Giant Size X-Men #1 (8.5):  The average of the last 5 sales (all in March) is ~$7,400 compared to ~$3,500 average in December. I see numerous examples of 30%-100% higher sales over a few month period, with the biggest increases happening in the last 30 days. Granted, I am looking mostly at SA keys, but I'm not including books like SS #3, Avengers #8, etc..

For those that are familiar with the comic book market, is there something in particular that is driving prices up significantly over the last couple months? The MCU has been going for a long time, so maybe the Disney/Marvel situation?

People have more money than they know what to do with it. While the pandemic has been crippling for many, there are a lot of people who have a lot more disposable income than ever before since it cannot be spent on restaurants, trips, yachts, or cocaine parties. The money has to go somewhere, and its going to NFTs, high end collectibles and all other sorts. Comics happen to be in these asset based investment categories that is getting this unused money. So you have more demand and the same supply as last year, so the prices were bound to go up. We'll see what happens when money can be spent on leisure activities again.

1 hour ago, rsouxlja7 said:

My question is will these keys maintain these price levels or could we be in for a decline in the coming years, specifically for books that have exploded like GSX1 and TMNT1.

Even if there is a slight decline from these amazing sales, overall I think all values have been pulled up permanently from where they were 2 months ago.

I like it as a seller.  I hate it as a buyer.

47 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Even if there is a slight decline from these amazing sales, overall I think all values have been pulled up permanently from where they were 2 months ago.

Yeah I am at the point where I haven't bought a new book since 2019. I view my comics as an alternative investment in my overall portfolio so now I am just weighing what to hold onto and what to sell off. I have been holding X-Men keys and a TMNT1 that have appreciated a lot more than I ever thought in a short amount of time. 

1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

Yeah, I just started getting back into this last year (after 30 years away from the hobby) and was only planning to slab some of my collection. However, last month I started getting the itch to buy some books, at apparently the worst possible time... :makepoint:

10 hours ago, Trifisherjoe said:

...all keys go up $1400 as of stimulus passing. 

Um yeah...no (and I know you are being sarcastic).   Said it before, since March 2020 the rich just got richer, and more money to play with in their stock portfolios.   It's not us common folk moving the needle with our stimulus money.  

12 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

Um yeah...no (and I know you are being sarcastic).   Said it before, since March 2020 the rich just got richer, and more money to play with in their stock portfolios.   It's not us common folk moving the needle with our stimulus money.  

Right.

On 3/12/2021 at 11:33 PM, William-James88 said:

People have more money than they know what to do with it. While the pandemic has been crippling for many, there are a lot of people who have a lot more disposable income than ever before since it cannot be spent on restaurants, trips, yachts, or cocaine parties. The money has to go somewhere, and its going to NFTs, high end collectibles and all other sorts. Comics happen to be in these asset based investment categories that is getting this unused money. So you have more demand and the same supply as last year, so the prices were bound to go up. We'll see what happens when money can be spent on leisure activities again.

Cocaine parties ???? I just shot the coffee out of my NOSEEE LMFAOOOOOOOOOOO