• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

You know comic book collecting is on fire when . . .

20 posts in this topic

. . . you receive an email like this:

Hello,

Thank you for your email, we received your submission on 12/1/20 in CCS for pressing. This service is running an approximate 80 days (16 weeks), then will transfer over to CGC for grading, and the Value tier of service is running an approximate 80 days as well.  The submission is currently being pressed in CCS. Once the book has transferred over to CGC you will receive an email advising and will be able to track your submission online.

Have a nice day,

Regards,

<name withheld>

32 weeks! 8 months!

You also know how hot the hobby is when you get several calls a week from people waving money in your face to sell comics.

9 months ago CGC was begging for submissions. 

I heard the waiting period to PSA grade cards was 9 months. 

The hobby is HEALTHY...

8 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

You also know how hot the hobby is when you get several calls a week from people waving money in your face to sell (them) comics.

The hobby is HEALTHY...

Financial investors getting into paper collectibles (sports rookie slabbed cards, vintage comic books and spec), as paper money over-printed in the last year in USA (and Canada):

2 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

most businesses would hire more help/ train more staff to meet the demand. i hope they will, but i'm not holding my breath. the advantage of having a near monopoly, i suppose. 

So, no truth in this then?

"We have hired more than 70 new employees in the last three months, purchased an additional 21,000 square feet of space, implemented comprehensive training programs, brought in efficiency consultants and worked thousands of hours of overtime. We have increased incentives to motivate and reward our employees as well as attract new talent. We will not rest until this situation has been resolved."

9 minutes ago, BuscemasAvengers said:

So, no truth in this then?

"We have hired more than 70 new employees in the last three months, purchased an additional 21,000 square feet of space, implemented comprehensive training programs, brought in efficiency consultants and worked thousands of hours of overtime. We have increased incentives to motivate and reward our employees as well as attract new talent. We will not rest until this situation has been resolved."

Glad to read this. 

They need to scale you meet this demand. I'm a little nervous about sending them anything right now. 

50 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

Glad to read this. 

They need to scale you meet this demand. I'm a little nervous about sending them anything right now. 

Yeah who wants a noob and their sweaty paws man-handling your AF 15?

4 hours ago, bb8 said:

Yeah who wants a noob and their sweaty paws man-handling your AF 15?

Ah! Yes it seems logical to assume that the bigger a grading company gets they will need to hire new people aka trainees to grade the books. Its like if you need an operation, do you want a doctor who has performed the procedure hundreds or thousands of times or some rookie fresh out of med school who needs to watch a How To video during the operation? Hopefully their training process is very thorough and they are keeping up with maintaining the tools the graders need to do the job right. But I do feel that it is unavoidable that all these submissions would not make the grading system and accuracy suffer to some degree.

chocolate-MOV.gif

I'm sure we'd all rather wait a few extra weeks or even months rather than have inaccurately graded books. 

Edited by Professor Chaos
spelling agian

21 hours ago, fifties said:

Their math needs improving; 80 days = 11.5 weeks, not 16.

At most, five "working days" a week.  And I believe they used to define "working days" to exclude days the days the appeared at conventions (including set-up days I think).

Edited by sfcityduck