• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will CGC Grade this card as a misprint?
1 1

68 posts in this topic

I am wondering if CGC will grade this miscut base set 2 Alakazam? A member in the misprints group on Facebook recently posted it and I got his permission to make a post here asking about if CGC will grade it or not. I know it is a WOTC era card but the way the card is cut makes me lean heavily in the direction that it is an authentic factory miscut. I had a conversation with the owner on the phone and wanted to help him get more info on if this card can be graded. I know that CGC wants to maintain its integrity and not grade any NFC cards by accident but I would hate to see such a beautiful card get dismissed as NFC just because its from WOTC era. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Alakazam.jpg

5 hours ago, SayNoToNFCs said:

Considering that you are known to make and sell NFC cards, anything that you touch is immediately called into question. If I was CGC I wouldn't touch this with a 10-foot poll given your association with it. 

In case you forgot how to read, the post above states I do not own the actual card. I took time out of my day to assist this member because I am knowledgeable on the topic of NFCs. Its funny that you wont use your real name and hide behind a fake alias. You are a nobody and if you cant even use your real name then your words mean nothing to me. I am always happy to have conversations with members about the topic of NFCs but I will not be harassed on the internet over what I do with my own property and how I enjoy my hobby. If I misrepresent NFC cards as factory cut then I risk my reputation and everything I have built in the last 4 years. I love CGC and actually plan to have my entire misprint Pokémon collection and some of my Magic The Gathering collection graded by them. Despite what you think I am not the enemy. If you want to have a real conversation and not just bad mouth me on the internet behind a fake name then you know where to find me. 

6 minutes ago, greggy said:

What the hell are NFCs?

An NFC is a non factory cut card. They are cards that were intentionally cut from a sheet to look like misprinted cards but they are not actual misprints/miscuts. I am a known dealer and creator of these NFC cards in Magic the Gathering. There is a bit of a controversy in Pokémon at the moment over NFC cards. The post that a member made with this card got a lot of attention due to it being WOTC era. 

Edited by Lyle Freeland

15 minutes ago, greggy said:

What the hell are NFCs?

NFC (not factory cut) cards are those made by shysters to imitate the look of factory miscuts for the purpose of tricking people into thinking they are buying rare misprints. The fact that NFC cards exist is why the legitimacy of this card is being called into question, because sketchy people cut cards after-market to look like real miscuts. If people didn't cut cards like this on purpose, no one would question if this was factory or not.

It's really bad for the hobby.

Just now, Lyle Freeland said:

You realize that your word choices make it painfully obvious who you are right? Nobody is impressed and if you think you can spread misinformation without suffering any consequences then you are sorely mistaken. I would strongly suggest you stop while you are ahead. 

Are you threatening someone on a card grading forum?

1 minute ago, SayNoToNFCs said:

Are you threatening someone on a card grading forum?

Typical response. All actions have either positive or negative consequences. I am certain that your spread of misinformation will not put you in the most positive light when I share it with others in the community. This conversation is over, have a great day!  ;D

8 minutes ago, Lyle Freeland said:
12 minutes ago, SayNoToNFCs said:

NFC (not factory cut) cards are those made by shysters to imitate the look of factory miscuts for the purpose of tricking people into thinking they are buying rare misprints. The fact that NFC cards exist is why the legitimacy of this card is being called into question, because sketchy people cut cards after-market to look like real miscuts. If people didn't cut cards like this on purpose, no one would question if this was factory or not.

It's really bad for the hobby.

You realize that your word choices make it painfully obvious who you are right? Nobody is impressed and if you think you can spread misinformation without suffering any consequences then you are sorely mistaken. I would strongly suggest you stop while you are ahead. 

So you're saying that hand cutting cards is accepted and allowed within the hobby? Back when I was collecting sports cards it definitely wasn't kosher to do such things. Are you disclosing this to potential buyers? If it were a comic book that would be akin to trimming.

Edited by Jeffro.

1 minute ago, Jeffro. said:

So you're saying that handing cutting cards is accepted and allowed within the hobby? Back when I was collecting sports cards it definitely wasn't kosher to do such things. Are you disclosing this to potential buyers? If it were a comic book that would be akin to trimming.

It is not accepted, but the OP does it.

3 minutes ago, Lyle Freeland said:

Typical response. All actions have either positive or negative consequences. I am certain that your spread of misinformation will not put you in the most positive light when I share it with others in the community. This conversation is over, have a great day!  ;D

Share what with who? And what misinformation? That people cut uncut sheets to look like factory miscuts? That is a fact, not misinformation.

Just now, Jeffro. said:

So you're saying that handing cutting cards is accepted and allowed within the hobby? Back when I was collecting sports cards it definitely wasn't kosher to do such things. Are you disclosing this to potential buyers? If it were a comic book that would be akin to trimming.

I have always advertised what I sell as NFC to my buyers. In the Magic the Gathering community NFCs are widely accepted and there are well over 1000+ sheets cut into singles in the wild. For some reason the Pokémon community has this idea in their head that everyone who likes NFCs is only trying to scam people and pass the cards off as factory cut misprints. In Magic the Gathering this never happens because everyone is knowledgeable about what cards are NFC and its very hard to fool anyone. In Pokémon everyone is clueless. Its a big controversy right now. 

3 minutes ago, Lyle Freeland said:
7 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

I have always advertised what I sell as NFC to my buyers. In the Magic the Gathering community NFCs are widely accepted and there are well over 1000+ sheets cut into singles in the wild. For some reason the Pokémon community has this idea in their head that everyone who likes NFCs is only trying to scam people and pass the cards off as factory cut misprints. In Magic the Gathering this never happens because everyone is knowledgeable about what cards are NFC and its very hard to fool anyone. In Pokémon everyone is clueless. Its a big controversy right now. 

Coming from a comic book background there is a lot of stigma shenanagins around alterations made to the product.  I am curious if the slabbing companies will grade NFC MtG cards as altered/restored? (not sure how the companies grade altered cards)

Just now, Jeffro. said:

Coming from a comic book background there is a lot of stigma shenanagins around alterations made to the product.  I am curious if the slabbing companies will grade NFC MtG cards as altered/restored? (not sure how the companies grade altered cards)

The biggest problem in Pokémon is peoples lack of knowledge on the topic. I have always been an advocate of the NFCs being more known so that members can see what they look like and be able to identify them with ease. CGC grades NFC cards on a case by case basis. I have been in discussion with Paul about what they will and will not grade because I plan to have a lot of my collection graded CGC. The two hobbies are hard to compare. People in MTG like the NFC cards because it makes their deck unique and the cost is significantly lower than factory cut errors. Also worth mentioning that factory cut errors are extremely expensive and much harder to come by. NFCs are a more budget friendly way for players to make their deck unique. 

9 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

BGS will grade anything even NFCS, PSA wont touch anything that is NFC, altered, trimmed, ect...

6 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

I'm taking this claim with a grain of salt.

Oh you should have seen how bad it was on Facebook. I made a small auction post about 2-3 months ago with like 8 NFC cards for sale and got mobbed with over 1k comments within a few hours. The member above (SayNoToNFCs) created a fake account just to bad mouth me on CGC forms and thinks he is so clever even though his word choices are a dead giveaway of who he is. As a misprint collector I actually have a strong preference to factory cut cards but I have always enjoyed NFCs as part of the hobby. I can handle people disagreeing but the lengths that some have gone to cause me issues is crazy. 

Edited by Lyle Freeland