• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RARE DETECTIVE COMICS #33 up for sale

125 posts in this topic

Speaking of the 2 page Origin, which book would you take? Tec 33 or Bat 1? Give me the Tec 33 cover but the Bat 1 interior goodness :cloud9:

Batman #1...but not my leaps and bounds personally.

Batman #1...without question in terms of financial investment.

IMO, the "first appearence" is the most desirable factor and the "origin" usually comes second but almost always comes hand-in-hand with the first appearence (speaking major GA characters that is).

Tec #33 provided a very interesting dynamic because there was no origin to be found in Batman's first appearence BUT...you didn't have to wait years to find out about it.

Unlike Tec #168 which came out so many years later depicting Joker's origin, Tec #33 was a combination of a very early appearence, an even earlier cover appearence, and the origin all wrapped up in one.

I'd argue that the origin of Batman is about equally important as the first appearence of the Joker ( although more important than the first appearence of Catwoman; all just pure opinion on something difficult to quantify).

But with Batman #1, you get the "first issue" in the series combined with two major first appearences, the first re-printed origin (paired with the better splash from Tec #34), so the total overall package pushes Batman #1 past Tec #33.

I prefer Tec #33's cover and its rarity in comparison to Batman #1 but not enough so to make it the more desirable of the two issues. (thumbs u

but I see no reason why, at some point at least, Tec #33 can't move past #35 again.
the reason, young padawan is simple...supply and demand...

even if there is more demand for tec 33 than tec 35 (which I am not sure there is, but for argument's sake, let's assume there is), there is seemingly FAR more supply of it (note, I didn't say far more existing issues, just market supply at any given time) ...that simple economic reality will likely keep tec 33 from ever passing 35 by again, and in fact, I think the distance between the 2 will continue to widen (as it has for the past 5-7 years) as folks still struggle to add 35's to their collections... of course I could be wrong :)

Fair point; but I look no further than Batman #1 to know that the degree of supply does not always out-weigh the demand to the point in which the book cannot be extremely marketable. That is not to say that Tec #33 isn't very marketable, just that at the point in time, it seems to lag behind other issues in the run.

Obviously we all know Batman #1's driving force is the fact that it's a "#1" which would clearly not apply to Tec #33. I know, I may have answered my own question in a matter of speaking but the point I'm trying to make is...an early Batman Tec with an early Batman cover, and the first told origin story is IMO, enough to some day push the book past Tec #35's cover, color scheme, and reduced supply.

You can add this 35 to the list of books that won't be seen again for sale,most likely for about 30 years.

So that's 1 less,even tho its a Plod.

Tec35-1.jpg

Has that book made its way into the Pre-Robin Tec Club yet (I have to check)?

I'm not a Tec #35 hater by any means...I'm just a bit biased. (thumbs u

Speaking of the 2 page Origin, which book would you take? Tec 33 or Bat 1? Give me the Tec 33 cover but the Bat 1 interior goodness :cloud9:

IMO, the "first appearence" is the most desirable factor and the "origin" usually comes second but almost always comes hand-in-hand with the first appearence (speaking major GA characters that is).

Tec #33 provided a very interesting dynamic because there was no origin to be found in Batman's first appearence BUT...you didn't have to wait years to find out about it.

Unlike Tec #168 which came out so many years later depicting Joker's origin, Tec #33 was a combination of a very early appearence, an even earlier cover appearence, and the origin all wrapped up in one.

I'd argue that the origin of Batman is about equally important as the first appearence of the Joker ( although more important than the first appearence of Catwoman; all just pure opinion on something difficult to quantify).

But with Batman #1, you get the "first issue" in the series combined with two major first appearences, the first re-printed origin (paired with the better splash from Tec #34), so the total overall package pushes Batman #1 past Tec #33.

I prefer Tec #33's cover and its rarity in comparison to Batman #1 but not enough so to make it the more desirable of the two issues. (thumbs u

not to mention that Bat 1 was created entirely from an inventory of stories that were supposed to be printed in Detective Comics...

not to mention that Bat 1 was created from an inventory of stories that were supposed to be printed in Detective Comics...

doh!

I left out that it also includes the very last Pre-Robin Tec story...intended for Tec #38.

First issue in the series, first appearence of the Joker, first appearence of Catwoman, final Pre-Robin Tec story, Early Robin appearence, Tec #33 origin story reprinted, Tec #34 splash...it's a jam-packed issue if I've ever heard of one!

AMAZING, amazing book. :cloud9:

You can add this 35 to the list of books that won't be seen again for sale,most likely for about 30 years.

So that's 1 less,even tho its a Plod.

Tec35-1.jpg

this is still a cool cover out of the run (only a girl in bondage instead of the goofy guy would make the cover bettter IMO)..I do like it slightly better than the 33, but I don't regret selling my 35 (and a Cap 1) and getting a 29 and 31 in return :applause:

dern...over just like that :baiting:

Gloat all you want. You'll never beat Greggy. lol

I would rather reset my post count every day to zero than beat that "zero" in post counts lol

Does anyone have scans they can post of the origin story from #33?

I know I must've read it at some point, but it's been a long time and I'm pretty sure I don't have it in reprint format.