• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is storing slabs upright a must?
2 2

30 posts in this topic

I'm currently storing mine in a shortbox sized specifically for CGC slabs, but now I'm worried I'm doing my books a disservice by standing them upright in it!  Of course, I had them upright in longboxes (bagged and boarded) when they were raw, so...
hm

17 hours ago, djzombi said:

I'm currently storing mine in a shortbox sized specifically for CGC slabs, but now I'm worried I'm doing my books a disservice by standing them upright in it!  Of course, I had them upright in longboxes (bagged and boarded) when they were raw, so...
hm

Well a couple of people believe that upright okay - CHASEnBlue said doesn't  matter, and Angel of Death said Stack or Upright.

But five votes for stacking - Shadroch,xvipath, Muno42,Angel of Death and ExNihilo - who is designing a prototype this weekend ( we all anxiously await the design - maybe you can get backing from Shark Tank:headbang:).

There were 2 votes for Spine down -Silver_Couch_Surfer and Qalyar. 

Just don't store spine upright or too many slabs on top of each other.

I wasn't sure how to interpret Devin Colman' graphic..sorry.

Corrections, comments on this summary welcomed!

On 3/20/2021 at 10:13 AM, Bayowolf said:

Well a couple of people believe that upright okay - CHASEnBlue said doesn't  matter, and Angel of Death said Stack or Upright.

But five votes for stacking - Shadroch,xvipath, Muno42,Angel of Death and ExNihilo - who is designing a prototype this weekend ( we all anxiously await the design - maybe you can get backing from Shark Tank:headbang:).

There were 2 votes for Spine down -Silver_Couch_Surfer and Qalyar. 

Just don't store spine upright or too many slabs on top of each other.

I wasn't sure how to interpret Devin Colman' graphic..sorry.

Corrections, comments on this summary welcomed!

So I initially saw a cabinet at IKEA that I thought I could use as the base for a design, but it turned out the interior dimensions were too narrow for a CGC case.  I then went to a custom cabinetry store here to get an estimate and was told $200-$300 with a 6-8 week lead time due to busy schedules.  I would go to Home Depot and buy the lumber myself, but I don't have a table saw.

CGC slabs (modern/silver age) have a rough dimension size of 8 1/4" W x 13" H x 5/8" D.  I figured the cabinet would have an interior dimensional width of 8 1/2" with a depth of 14".  Grooves would be carved on the inside walls in 1" intervals with 1/4" dividers to support the slabs.  Height could then be determined based on how many books you have, however it's become apparent to me that a wider base would be necessary to eliminate any issues of it toppling over.  Thus a doublewide display with a 1" board up the middle would probably work better.  You can then have two UV acrylic windows to keep out UV light.  My only question is, what affect does wood have on books?  Does the cabinet need to be treated in any special way?  We put our books in mylar to prevent off gassing.  Is there any such concern with the type of medium in which books are stored in?

(EDIT: the other thing I've tried to reconcile is that when displaying books in a media tower like this, if you store the books cover up, then the top of label will appear upside down (not a problem if all you have are 9.6's :nyah:).  If you store them with the label right side up, then all the covers will be facing down and you'll have to pull out the whole book to see it.  I suppose the kicker to it all is that the way the labels are designed, it's clear CGC intends for its customers to display them standing up as with any other comic.  Lastly, if you are going to store your books flat, then it would seem this is still the prettiest solution (albeit, expensive).)

Edited by ExNihilo

11 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

So I initially saw a cabinet at IKEA that I thought I could use as the base for a design, but it turned out the interior dimensions were too narrow for a CGC case.  I then went to a custom cabinetry store here to get an estimate and was told $200-$300 with a 6-8 week lead time due to busy schedules.  I would go to Home Depot and buy the lumber myself, but I don't have a table saw.

CGC slabs (modern/silver age) have a rough dimension size of 8 1/4" W x 13" H x 5/8" D.  I figured the cabinet would have an interior dimensional width of 8 1/2" with a depth of 14".  Grooves would be carved on the inside walls in 1" intervals with 1/4" dividers to support the slabs.  Height could then be determined based on how many books you have, however it's become apparent to me that a wider base would be necessary to eliminate any issues of it toppling over.  Thus a doublewide display with a 1" board up the middle would probably work better.  You can then have two UV acrylic windows to keep out UV light.  My only question is, what affect does wood have on books?  Does the cabinet need to be treated in any special way?  We put our books in mylar to prevent off gassing.  Is there any such concern with the type of medium in which books are stored in?

(EDIT: the other thing I've tried to reconcile is that when displaying books in a media tower like this, if you store the books cover up, then the top of label will appear upside down (not a problem if all you have are 9.6's :nyah:).  If you store them with the label right side up, then all the covers will be facing down and you'll have to pull out the whole book to see it.  I suppose the kicker to it all is that the way the labels are designed, it's clear CGC intends for its customers to display them standing up as with any other comic.  Lastly, if you are going to store your books flat, then it would seem this is still the prettiest solution (albeit, expensive).)

Wow. ExNihilo did a lot of research and thinking about this. Those cabinets new are expensive - about $1300 for a 5 drawer and $1900 for the 10 drawerdoh! 

I had a similar idea to ExNihilo about a cabinet, but instead of just grooves each slab would slide in and out of a slot on each side (maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch wide and 1 inch deep) that ran depth of cabinet. Inside of the top and bottom of slot would have something like plastic hair like fibers so one slab could slide easily in and out and not damage the slab. I can picture it in my "minds eye" but can't quite draw it. I swear I've seen something like this, but don't know what these would be called.

Seems like $200 to $300 to get one custom built might be a good deal, unless you can find those used blueprint cabinets in you area.