• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inflation Drives Art to Record Prices

91 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, delekkerste said:

The OA % gains look comparatively paltry compared to what is happening in sports cards.  Some absolutely horrifying results at Goldin Auctions last night, including a pair of 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan cards graded PSA 10 that sold for $720K each.  This was a $155K card 56 days ago.  It was $75K 6 months ago.  $30-$35K all day, every day a year ago. 

A 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA 8 sold for $1.566 million.  I was the underbidder on one of these back in 2011 or 2012 on one that sold around $86K IIRC.  I figured that I'd just buy the next one that came around, as the card had been selling in the $75-90K range for years and looked positively stable.  Oops.  Instead, it ran up to $660K in 2016 or 2017 and has been largely trading in the $400-600K range since then until last night's sale left the old record in the dust. 

A 2003 Panini Cristiano Ronaldo PSA 10 sold for $205K.  The last sale was $50K two months ago.  

It was the bloodbath to end all bloodbaths.  

They aren't even one of a kind :)

Edited by mtlevy1

9 hours ago, bluechip said:

Ok some remarks here skirt the edges of the "no politics" rules.  That one is a shot right into the bullseye and about as political as it's even possible to be. 

I prefer to think of it as whiny humor. Why would you call attention to a stray comment? No one is sitting around discussing @‘($>{[£$”**

4 hours ago, Peter G said:

Unfortunately, censorship has no limits  once it gets started. 

What has even fewer limits is politically divisive talk on message boards.  Once somebody fires off a straw man remark declaring "what 'they' really want is--" you get people wondering if they should respond to show their disagreement, while others express their agreement by saying no politics is a good policy in most cases but in this case (because the responder agrees) "it's no big deal". 

Better to have a very strict policy saying it just isn't allowed.  Period.  And that's what I understood the policy to be.    

13 minutes ago, bluechip said:

What has even fewer limits is politically divisive talk on message boards.  Once somebody fires off a straw man remark declaring "what 'they' really want is--" you get people wondering if they should respond to show their disagreement, while others express their agreement by saying no politics is a good policy in most cases but in this case (because the responder agrees) "it's no big deal". 

Better to have a very strict policy saying it just isn't allowed.  Period.  And that's what I understood the policy to be.    

Then by God, just report it and let's move on.

Your posts are OT, completely OT as to: inflation, art, record prices.

That's what the rest of us are here for...poli-sci-police-state-boy ;) 

1 hour ago, vodou said:

Then by God, just report it and let's move on.

Your posts are OT, completely OT as to: inflation, art, record prices.

That's what the rest of us are here for...poli-sci-police-state-boy ;) 

I don't snitch. 

(as a real poli-sci-police-state-boy would've) 

2 hours ago, bluechip said:

I don't snitch. 

(as a real poli-sci-police-state-boy would've) 

no, you didn't report it, you just made sure to make it a topic of discussion so that it would be reported, which it was.

Vodou is right, just report it directly next time.    At least then you'll be an honest snitch instead of a backdoor one ;) 

Heaven forbid we speak inconvenient truths around here, anyways.

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

no, you didn't report it, you just made sure to make it a topic of discussion so that it would be reported, which it was.

Vodou is right, just report it directly next time.    At least then you'll be an honest snitch instead of a backdoor one ;) 

Heaven forbid we speak inconvenient truths around here, anyways.

Actually, I was hoping you'd just edit the moment out once you were made aware. 

Sometimes even the best people slip and let a political comment fly.   The whole point of CGC's policy is not to say someone's "bad" for making a comment, but to avoid having political comments appear in the first place, so as to to avoid the sort of feelings that arise when somebody makes a comment that is clearly political and disparaging, even if they consider it an "inconvenient truth".  Actually, especially in that case.  Where I grew up, it was not uncommon to hear someone defend a prejudiced remark by saying, effectively, it's not racist if the people they're talking about "really are lazy", or thieves, or whatever.  Hoping you can agree that sort of talk is over the line.  But I imagine guarantee you we both know people who don't think so.  And to them, a racial slur is, also, just an "inconvenient truth".  

41 minutes ago, bluechip said:

Sometimes even the best people slip and let a political comment fly.   The whole point of CGC's policy is not to say someone's "bad" for making a comment, but to avoid having political comments appear in the first place, so as to to avoid the sort of feelings that arise when somebody makes a comment that is clearly political and disparaging, even if they consider it an "inconvenient truth".  Actually, especially in that case.  Where I grew up, it was not uncommon to hear someone defend a prejudiced remark by saying, effectively, it's not racist if the people they're talking about "really are lazy", or thieves, or whatever.  Hoping you can agree that sort of talk is over the line.  But I imagine guarantee you we both know people who don't think so.  And to them, a racial slur is, also, just an "inconvenient truth".  

Come on, who really cares? Reminds me of an old rhyme:

The election is over, 
Let the bitterness pass. 
I’ll hug your elephant,
If you’ll kiss my donkey.

46 minutes ago, vodou said:

Since you're such a nice guy, 'n all, maybe PM @Bronty next time?

Ok, will do.   

And oh, is that your hand still out for the Good Samaritan Award? Well...no :) 

No that was tryin' not to engage on the substance of the initial post by keeping it on views that're presumably "mootchal".    

2 hours ago, bluechip said:

This has become insufferable. Please stop. 

10 hours ago, bluechip said:

Ok, will do.   

And oh, is that your hand still out for the Good Samaritan Award? Well...no :) 

No that was tryin' not to engage on the substance of the initial post by keeping it on views that're presumably "mootchal".    

No. The only mutual here is "comic art". It's right in the title of the thing. Duh. And even then we can't seem to agree on whether Jim Lee is the Second Coming of Jack Kirby* or not.

Take your struggle session elsewhere, I'm sure the internet is full of places that already embrace the concept.

* lol 

To get back on topic, the low end sales on Heritage's Monday night auctions have gone through the roof. Just last year you would be able to pick up a couple nice story pages for a few hundred bucks with shipping and bp. Now it seems like everything is $200+ and a whole bunch of the pages just end up on dealer sites as inventory that will never move. 

1 hour ago, Hockeyflow33 said:

To get back on topic, the low end sales on Heritage's Monday night auctions have gone through the roof. Just last year you would be able to pick up a couple nice story pages for a few hundred bucks with shipping and bp.

There are occasional cherries to pluck ;)

Proud new owner for $228 'all in' on a winning cut bid:

Original Comic Art:Comic Strip Art, Paul Fung Dumb Dora Sunday Comic Strip Original Art dated 7-3-32 (King Features Syndicate, 1932)....

1 hour ago, Hockeyflow33 said:

Now it seems like everything is $200+ and a whole bunch of the pages just end up on dealer sites as inventory that will never move.

Fear not, they will get smoked on this :)