• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Could a movie or series ever spike Star Trek comics like Star Wars?
1 1

22 posts in this topic

If Picard and Mandalorian had swapped their reviews and quality of content, would the Trek universe have exploded like Star Wars has?

Is there any future potential releases that would make these equals or is Trek forever a distant 2nd to Star Wars now, as far as comics go?

If history is the guide, Star Wars will always leave Star Trek in the dust. Super high grade examples of the Gold Key/Whitman series excepted. Young people love SW today as much as ever. Not sure the same can be said for trekkies. Personally I’m in both fan camps and have at least two longs full of trek books so I hope I’m wrong. 

Edited by ThothAmon

No. Star Trek 1 introduces all of the original cast. That's expensive. Outside the Gold Key books in nice shape and maybe some very low print variants, are any Star Trek books worth anything? The Marvel #1 had such a huge print run we are still seeing warehouse/untouched inventory 40+ years later. I think one difference is that the Star Wars comics have really created a really complex world .. more interesting than the movies, actually, introduced more characters and so on. The Star Trek comics have always sort of been in the background.

It is a good question and one I was asking myself the other day as I was flipping through my boxes. I buy Star Trek comics often when I see them cheap, but they've been terrible "investments"... I have a fair number of them. While I am tempted to keep the Gold Keys and maybe the Marvels, I don't have much attachment to any of the others. They're probably pretty good, but I never read the DCs and other companies.

They have made 3 Star Trek movies with the new cast. All of them seem to be box office losers if you go by the formula that the box office needs to be 2.5-3X the budget to make a profit. I suppose they may make it up with ancillary products and other stuff. For the most part the prior star trek movies made money... not necessarily a lot of money, but enough to keep making sequels ... in part because I guess they kept the budgets reasonable in relation to the box offices (wrath of khan had a $13 million budget vs. $97 million box office, so that was a winner). These last 3 star trek movies were not cheap movies to make..$150-190 million. I am watching the new tv shows -- Discovery and Picard --- but they are not for the casual fan for sure. They put my wife to sleep and she actually likes Star Trek (big crush on Picard back in the day). I can stay up a bit longer, but they have a slow pace and are very cerebral. I can see a lot of people not having the patience.

I honestly don't know how Star Wars has made so much money over the years. Episode IV in 77 was for sure a great movie and it brought to the big screen stuff we'd never seen at the time. Episode V in 1980 IMO was the best sequel to any movie ever. It was hyped for years and when it came out I don't know anyone that was disappointed. Enter Episode VI and the Ewoks. Yes seeing Darth Vader fall to his son and all the other cool effects of the time was great. But to me and many others it fell way short of the other 2. Episodes I II and III were just plain all around awful. Jar Jar Binks single handed, ruined the first prequel that so many people had looked forward to. The rest have all sucked. I don't understand the hype anymore. (shrug)

6 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

I honestly don't know how Star Wars has made so much money over the years. Episode IV in 77 was for sure a great movie and it brought to the big screen stuff we'd never seen at the time. Episode V in 1980 IMO was the best sequel to any movie ever. It was hyped for years and when it came out I don't know anyone that was disappointed. Enter Episode VI and the Ewoks. Yes seeing Darth Vader fall to his son and all the other cool effects of the time was great. But to me and many others it fell way short of the other 2. Episodes I II and III were just plain all around awful. Jar Jar Binks single handed, ruined the first prequel that so many people had looked forward to. The rest have all sucked. I don't understand the hype anymore. (shrug)

No. Revenge of the Sith, in particular, is very re-watchable. Some Attack of the Clones is pretty good, too. Lastly; Darth Maul.

6 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Force Awakens was not bad. Rogue One was good. I did not think Solo was bad, but that one bombed. Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker were pretty terrible.

In being forced to watch 1 - 3 again by my 9 year old, each has good parts and bad parts. If you take the Jar Jar stupidity out of each of them they are a lot better.

3 hours ago, HotKey said:

If Picard and Mandalorian had swapped their reviews and quality of content, would the Trek universe have exploded like Star Wars has?

Is there any future potential releases that would make these equals or is Trek forever a distant 2nd to Star Wars now, as far as comics go?

Highly Illogical! lol

25 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

You have a new generation of people who grew up with the I-III trilogy and think there's some good to them. I agree with you though, there isn't - they suck.

Who was a terrible actor in Episode IV-VI? No one. Who was the terrible character? The Ewoks in VI.

Who was terrible in I-III?

Jake Lloyd - bland and dull. Terrible. Hayden Christensen - bland, dull, and no chemistry with Natalie Portman. (How the hell can you not manage to have chemistry with HER.) The LEAD actors portraying the MAIN character are dull, boring and uninspired throughout the trilogy!

Jar Jar Binks - Terrible Character. And the Two BEST Characters in the first movie (other than Young Obi), Darth Maul and Qui-Gon, they KILLED OFF! Bouncing Yoda was hilarious and NOT inspiring. Ewan McGregor made Hayden Christensen look like a novice actor in their dramatic scenes together. Poorly written dialogue didn't help.

Yep, those movies are awful. 

As a lifelong SW fan. I saw ANH in the theaters , afte watching the horrendous 7-9, I've come to the conclusion that the allure of SW is mostly from ESB and ANH was pretty cool too. ROTJ was not good.

1-3 are mostly terrible, except for Darth M and seeing multiple Jedi, etc but lackluster writing overall.

7-9 are completely awful 

18 minutes ago, the blob said:

Force Awakens was not bad. Rogue One was good. I did not think Solo was bad, but that one bombed. Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker were pretty terrible.

In being forced to watch 1 - 3 again by my 9 year old, each has good parts and bad parts. If you take the Jar Jar stupidity out of each of them they are a lot better.

I forced myself to rewatch 1-3 again before RoS and honestly, they're pretty great.  Is Jar Jar hot garbage?  Sure.  The good thing though is that Lucas learned his lesson after 1 and toned Jar Jar down, and dropped the whole midichlorian thing  But I think so many of us were colored by what we wanted 1-3 to be, that we didn't sit back and allow ourselves to enjoy what 1-3 actually were.  We expected a franchise that grew WITH us.  So for those of us who were kids when we first saw New Hope, we wanted to see a mature, dark film much in the same way Empire grew out of New Hope.  But... Empire was not Lucas.  Leigh Breckett conceived of much of what became the final -script, as she had been hired to basically write the whole thing and Kershner directed, because Lucas was busy with ILM, Indiana Jones, and LucasFilms.  So when George took back over for Return of the Jedi, what did we get?  A mix of a kids movie and an adult movie  (Yay Ewoks!)  George Lucas's aim is always towards kids.  Nothing wrong with that.  It's just not what WE wanted, but kids LOVED those first three films.  And honestly, watch them.  They're pretty good.  I'll give you an example.  There's a throw away line in Empire where Luke is battling Vader, and Luke jumps up and has the high ground.  Vader makes a comment "I see that Obi Wan tought you the importance of having the high ground".  Now this of course makes no sense in context of the first two films.  We saw the first film, Obi Wan never teaches Luke about the high ground, so meh what is Vader talking about.... Until you see the fight scene in 3.  What does Obi wan say to Anikan?  "I've got the high ground Anikan, you don't have a chance."  To which Anikan ignores him, and lets his rage fill him and he attacks, and loses his limbs.  So 20 years later that throw away line now has much greater importance.  It shows that Luke is thinking and acting well and not giving into his rage like his father did.

16 minutes ago, Comics4All said:

Highly Illogical! lol

Did Picard get bad reviews? I thought it was well received. You're just not getting to have as many eyes on it. Plus, it was on a more fringe streaming service.

Let's face it. Picard was meant to appeal to GenXers like me. We're not a huge group. Sure, you have some Millenials for wanted NG in reruns and appreciate it, and some hip boomers, but the demographics are not overwhelming.

Mando was meant to appeal to ages 2 - 60 and beyond, and did.

Edited by the blob

Aww, common!  I’m only about halfway through my high-grade run of Gold Key Star Trek, don’t start trying to turn flippers on to Star Trek stuff now. Isn’t there enough junk they can throw stupid money at already?

It’s bad enough I let an opportunity to get a copy of #1 that I’d be happy with slip by because USPS couldn’t pull it’s head out at the time. Please don’t start this krap now. 

Edited by Number 6

1 hour ago, the blob said:

Did Picard get bad reviews? I thought it was well received. You're just not getting to have as many eyes on it. Plus, it was on a more fringe streaming service.

Let's face it. Picard was meant to appeal to GenXers like me. We're not a huge group. Sure, you have some Millenials for wanted NG in reruns and appreciate it, and some hip boomers, but the demographics are not overwhelming.

Mando was meant to appeal to ages 2 - 60 and beyond, and did.

I watched Picard.  It was not good.

23 minutes ago, JazzMan said:

I watched Picard.  It was not good.

I watched my roommate at the time hype it and hype it for weeks and then he had nothing to say after the debut. That told me all I needed.

2 hours ago, jaybuck43 said:

I forced myself to rewatch 1-3 again before RoS and honestly, they're pretty great.  Is Jar Jar hot garbage?  Sure.  The good thing though is that Lucas learned his lesson after 1 and toned Jar Jar down, and dropped the whole midichlorian thing  But I think so many of us were colored by what we wanted 1-3 to be, that we didn't sit back and allow ourselves to enjoy what 1-3 actually were.  We expected a franchise that grew WITH us.  So for those of us who were kids when we first saw New Hope, we wanted to see a mature, dark film much in the same way Empire grew out of New Hope.  But... Empire was not Lucas.  Leigh Breckett conceived of much of what became the final --script, as she had been hired to basically write the whole thing and Kershner directed, because Lucas was busy with ILM, Indiana Jones, and LucasFilms.  So when George took back over for Return of the Jedi, what did we get?  A mix of a kids movie and an adult movie  (Yay Ewoks!)  George Lucas's aim is always towards kids.  Nothing wrong with that.  It's just not what WE wanted, but kids LOVED those first three films.  And honestly, watch them.  They're pretty good.  I'll give you an example.  There's a throw away line in Empire where Luke is battling Vader, and Luke jumps up and has the high ground.  Vader makes a comment "I see that Obi Wan tought you the importance of having the high ground".  Now this of course makes no sense in context of the first two films.  We saw the first film, Obi Wan never teaches Luke about the high ground, so meh what is Vader talking about.... Until you see the fight scene in 3.  What does Obi wan say to Anikan?  "I've got the high ground Anikan, you don't have a chance."  To which Anikan ignores him, and lets his rage fill him and he attacks, and loses his limbs.  So 20 years later that throw away line now has much greater importance.  It shows that Luke is thinking and acting well and not giving into his rage like his father did.

You must be confusing the lines from the movies. Vader never makes a comment about the high ground in Empire or Jedi. Just that Obi Wan has taught him well.  :gossip:

No way!  Star Trek has a much smaller target viewership then Star Wars.  I love both!  
Star Trek Discovery and Picard were awesome to watch for me.  The wife left the room when they were on though.  
Most of the Star Wars movies were really good.