• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the 2nd appearance of Judo Master?
1 1

36 posts in this topic

CGC lists Special War Series #4 as his 1st appearance, and Judo Master 89 as his 3rd appearance. I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find what book is his 2nd appearance. The only luck I've had is with places that list Judo Master 89 as his 2nd appearance, however I've questioned that due to CGC's recognizing it as his 3rd.

Could CGC be noting this book (#89) wrong, or am I just completely missing the book that's between these two? Thanks.

Hmm.

Special War Series #4: on newsstands (approx.) November 1st, 1965

Judo Master #89: on newsstands (approx.) April 1st, 1966

Captain Atom #82: on newsstands (approx.) July 1st, 1966

Frank McLauglin did a couple of Judo instruction 2 pagers - Sarge Steel #7 (approx. Nov 1st, 1965) and in Fighting' Five #37 (approx. Feb. 1st, 1966), but neither featured the Judo Master as the instructor as he did in Captain Atom #82. Not 100% sure CGC has made a mistake here, but I don't see an appearance between the first two.

14 minutes ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

Sarge Steel #6 (cover dated November 1965,, approximate on sale date September 1 1965)  included a 3 pager by McLaughlin entitled What Is Karate?, which was introduced by Judomaster, who appeared as a headshot in the first panel only.

Interesting, now I'm wondering why wouldn't CGC note it on the label? Considering they've noted his 1st and 3rd appearances on separate books.

1 hour ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

Sarge Steel #6 (cover dated November 1965,, approximate on sale date September 1 1965)  included a 3 pager by McLaughlin entitled What Is Karate?, which was introduced by Judomaster, who appeared as a headshot in the first panel only.

RCO031_1613257978.thumb.JPG.a6fc40c005ce8d06dfd6499b70a54369.JPG

Capture.thumb.PNG.45320763c664deb9380bf02b63829063.PNG

Capture.PNG.a928acc68b6e6956b5941b4b415f9a2e.PNG

Capture.PNG.da55b6c42bdfe9d80f4bc0de2eb819ca.PNG

1 hour ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

That would make it the 1st appearance (as a cameo)

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

#89 is quite late in the run to be the second appearance of Judo Master isn't it? I would've thought the number would've been much Hi-yah!

1141592458_policesquad.gif.b73bbdbc5f0c50178639d20ca5392ace.gif

Just in case anyone WAS thinking this... back then there wasn't the same hoopla for 'first issues' as their is now, and because of some postal savings, they would continue the numbering from a previous series - in this case, it was Gunmaster (which was originally Six-Gun Heroes up to #82)

6 minutes ago, Prince Namor said:

That would make it the 1st appearance (as a cameo)

Interesting, as both Sarge Steel #6 and Special War Series #4 are both dated November '65. Either way I think it would probably be fair to consider this cameo, thus making 89 at least his 2nd full appearance.

I do find it really odd though that CGC has a label noting his 1st and 3rd appearance, and not his 2nd. Hmmm...

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

RCO031_1613257978.thumb.JPG.a6fc40c005ce8d06dfd6499b70a54369.JPG

Capture.thumb.PNG.45320763c664deb9380bf02b63829063.PNGCapture.PNG.a928acc68b6e6956b5941b4b415f9a2e.PNG

It's interesting to note that the box denoted from the asterisk next to Judo Master says, "WATCH FOR HIM IN HIS OWN COMIC... ON SALE NOW!!!"

I'm assuming this is referring to SWS #4, which might make one think that Sarge Steel 6 predated SWS #4 even though both were published the same month. It very well might not have, but this would seem to make some sense.

9 minutes ago, HuddyBee said:

It's interesting to note that the box denoted from the asterisk next to Judo Master says, "WATCH FOR HIM IN HIS OWN COMIC... ON SALE NOW!!!"

I'm assuming this is referring to SWS #4, which might make one think that Sarge Steel 6 predated SWS #4 even though both were published the same month. It very well might not have, but this would seem to make some sense.

It would be odd to reference a character in 'his own title' if that title's cover didn't actually include his name wouldn't it. It says on sale now though, not forthcoming, which ties with them being available at the same time. 

Thunderbolt 52.

Although

"After Judomaster’s first appearance in ‘Special War Series # 4 (the final issue of that title), he next appeared in Sarge Steel # 6, dated December of 1965 issue, before graduating to his own title."

"1st: It’s pretty well – known among vintage Charlton Comics collectors (including myself), that, after Judomaster’s first appearance in ‘Special War Series’ # 4, the second issue of J.M, after he first/-next appeared in Sarge Steel # 6, was in Judomaster’s own title, the first issue of which was numbered # 89, the numbering has been continuing from the then recently defunct, long-running Gunmaster title."

cgcjudo.jpg

jduo2.jpg

Edited by bronze_rules

8 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

It would be odd to reference a character in 'his own title' if that title's cover didn't actually include his name wouldn't it. It says on sale now though, not forthcoming, which ties with them being available at the same time. 

Yes, but Special War Series #4 was titled that really in name only. The cover proudly proclaimed the Judo Master logo. It would also seem very odd for it to be referring to Judo Master 89 (his 1st self-titled book, essentially #1) as that book is cover dated June (a whole 7 months after Sarge Steel #6).

Special War Series #4 cover:

Special_War_Series_Vol_1_4.jpg

3 minutes ago, bronze_rules said:

Thunderbolt 52.

Thunderbolt 52 is dated 6/66 while Judo Master 89 is dated 5-6/66.

Would I be correct in assuming that "5-6" means that Judo Master 89 most likely came out before Thunderbolt 52, or is there really no way to tell?

10 minutes ago, HuddyBee said:

Yes, but Special War Series #4 was titled that really in name only. The cover proudly proclaimed the Judo Master logo. It would also seem very odd for it to be referring to Judo Master 89 (his 1st self-titled book, essentially #1) as that book is cover dated June (a whole 7 months after Sarge Steel #6).

Special War Series #4 cover:

Special_War_Series_Vol_1_4.jpg

That's what I meant - both books are cover dated the same so if Sarge Steel #6 is saying to look for him in his own title 'now' then that could only be SWS #4 which, handily, to the kids that went to look for it, was titled Judo Master on the cover. 

12 minutes ago, HuddyBee said:

Thunderbolt 52 is dated 6/66 while Judo Master 89 is dated 5-6/66.

Would I be correct in assuming that "5-6" means that Judo Master 89 most likely came out before Thunderbolt 52, or is there really no way to tell?

Yep. Saw that on inner copyrights. Both were bi-monthly. 

From Mikes amazing world

thunderbolt52.jpg

judo.jpg

thunder1.jpg

I originally saw this...

judo.jpg

Edited by bronze_rules

According to Mike’s Amazing World of Comics - who’s thorough research uses everything from date stamps to the Library of Congress to figure these things out - SS6 came out in September and SWS4 came out in November. 
Not cover dates - but actual release dates. 
The difference here is he has the release dates listed as ‘Approximate’, which means that verified info may be limited. 

B431EFD1-5326-47AE-8E32-05598B21E0DA.jpeg

3E4D80B2-AEFB-4215-85C0-7E67EF5F6FBD.jpeg