• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quick question about Bob Overstreet.
1 1

33 posts in this topic

I heard he sold his comic book collection some time ago.  Anyone know how he did so?  Are there any auction or catalog records, or was it just a private sale?  

The reason I ask is that I was just told a great story by a person whose father sold a key book to Overstreet back in the earlyish 70s (apparently to help fund a house purchase, so it was a good transaction), and the person was curious about what may have become of the book.  

If you happen to have an email for Bob that he checks, please PM me so I can just ask the source.

Thanks all!

Edited by sfcityduck

As part of his divorce, Bob sold his collection and his business to Geppi in late 1994.  The only exception was a small slice whose sale was handled by Gary Carter.

Edited by adamstrange

1 hour ago, adamstrange said:

As part of his divorce, Bob sold his collection and his business to Geppi in late 1994.  The only exception was a small slice of whose sale was handled by Gary Carter.

I get all the reasoning behind why divorces are the way they are legally, but this just doesn't seem right.  2 wrongs don't make a right. 

Thanks for the info Adam!  Since Bob sold books to Geppi (and I've seen a picture of Geppi in his museum that shows what might be the book) and Geppi has contributed books to the Library of Congress, my friend is pleased his dad's book might have ended up in the LoC.  So that was really great info!

I really want to help my friend out whose dad sold the book(s) to Bob.  He also has a picture of Bob and his family he'd like to send Bob's way.  It's quite the story. 

Once again, if anyone has a direct line to Bob, could you PM me the email or telephone number?  I think you would be making two people (Bob and my friend) happy.  Or if you know someone who does have the email/telephone number, I'd greatly appreciate if you could put me in touch with that person.  

Thanks!

Geppi starting selling the books shortly after he purchased the collection, but it was a gradual process. Geppi mostly sold to dealers and, as mentioned in other threads, consigned a lot of material to early Heritage Auctions.  I would check the Heritage Archive in case the book ended up with them at some point.

54 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Geppi starting selling the books shortly after he purchased the collection, but it was a gradual process. Geppi mostly sold to dealers and, as mentioned in other threads, consigned a lot of material to early Heritage Auctions.  I would check the Heritage Archive in case the book ended up with them at some point.

And therein lies the rub.  We think we know the small pool of books it could be, but aren't sure which it is.  We have a very strong guess, but would like to confirm that it is right.  Hence, the need to contact Bob directly. 

Sadly, my experiences with the OPG publishers don't give me a lot of confidence that they'll get me through to Bob very efficiently.  

4 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

And therein lies the rub.  We think we know the small pool of books it could be, but aren't sure which it is.  We have a very strong guess, but would like to confirm that it is right.  Hence, the need to contact Bob directly. 

Sadly, my experiences with the OPG publishers don't give me a lot of confidence that they'll get me through to Bob very efficiently.  

You mention that it was a key book and, while many of those made it to the Museum, those of value got sold after the Financial Crisis via Heritage.  As far as catalogs prior to that, there would only be Carter's list and the Diamond Gallery brochure.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Bob had nothing to do with the sale of his books once they went to Geppi. If you want to know who bought it, Geppi might be the only one who knows. 

Yeah, but first I need to confirm which book it was.  For a variety of reasons, it is likely Bob would remember what it is he bought and whether he sold it to Geppi.  I can then move on to asking Geppi what happened to it.  Bob should remember because he wanted the book badly enough that he took a vacation with his family to go meet the OO (who also took his family on vacation to meet Bob) at a memorable location.  The family photos should help jar Bob's memory if that's an issue.  

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Action #1 for $75K. Might as well been a million to me at the time.

’Ole Bob had quite the collection didn’t he? 

I remember Snyder introducing me to the collector who had purchased this copy of Action 1 during the Diamond Int'l Galleries grand opening back in the Super Bowl weekend of '95.  (thumbsu

For the life of me though, I just can't remember who he was.  Does anybody here know as he was an older Chinese gentleman who I've never heard of before and have since not heard anything at all about this gentleman going forward after that.  Hence, not sure if it was a one and done deal in terms of somebody from outside the hobby picking up the biggest name book out there or what?  ???  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

I don't know anything about how or why the Bob Overstreet collection was sold. However, according to HA, this issue of Tessie the Typist #18 (which sold back in 2007) was "From the Robert M. Overstreet Collection."

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/tessie-the-typist-18-timely-1948-condition-fn/a/17083-16509.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

And eventually the book ended up in my collection :smile:

284743-001.jpg

If you do a search in the past sales of Golden age books at HA using the words "Robert M. Overstreet Collection" you will find lots of comics...

https://comics.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=790+231+52+1060&Nty=1&Ntt=Robert+M.+Overstreet+Collection&ic10=ArchiveTab-071515

Perhaps some of you own Overstreet copies and didn't know it. :foryou:

Edited by Mr. Lady Luck