• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flippers, scalpers, and sellers. Oh my!
1 1

44 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, The Nameless One said:

Just turn us face-tatted hypebeasts onto Alex Ross and you're gold, *AIR HORNS* You would NOT believe the man's... REALISM! This art is, like, art, man. I'm going to drop a cold 2 milly on some signed 'Rosses and really deck out my exposed brick walls in my cool Toronto highrise ya, peace to my 3 million subscribers go buy everything now

On le way a face-tatted hyperbeast gonna drop 2 milly is if they rode GME to Da MOON! Or they were the face tatted rapper who did that wit yo pokyamen. 

Think I got this "new school" lingo down!!!

1 minute ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

On le way a face-tatted hyperbeast gonna drop 2 milly is if they rode GME to Da MOON! Or they were the face tatted rapper who did that wit yo pokyamen. 

you're groovy baby! Groovy!

2 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I dunno, we think this whole "Marvel Cinematic Universe" is pretty quote unquote lit. Once people really get into the comics they will find "Marvels" by Busiek and Ross, and that's a gateway drug for a great deal of, say, DC quality. I think comics are still young, this stuff is absolutely hype-worthy. Like, how old is "All-Star Superman"? Most of my favorite stories are still babies. If we truly do emerge as an economy driven by our subjective joys, comics are well within the realm. I started collecting with Marvel cards and comics, not Pokemon cards, I've got a stack of old Flair 94's which I admire daily. Just you wait and see, if the Pokemon bubble bursts in NA I'm guessing supers are next on the list for consumer-mania. I'm actually considering investing some of my pokemon money into Marvel cards, srsly these are gorgeous slabs of cardboard, amazing art. 

I sincerely hope the likes of, say, JH Williams the 3rd gets hoisted to the levels of Picasso. Contemporary art eventually becomes classic art, and the meta of what exactly we consider "art" is mercurial. Back in the 90s, these cards were awesome stuff for kids, nowadays I'm looking at them and going, welp, should I frame these? I guess that comes with age, I guess that comes with the sensation of nostalgia. It's priceless. I admire grading work, that must be a coooool job. Preservation is important or we might not realize what we're treating as weekly rags. Yeesh, did I age 10 years writing this?

20 minutes ago, The Nameless One said:

I dunno, we think this whole "Marvel Cinematic Universe" is pretty quote unquote lit. Once people really get into the comics they will find "Marvels" by Busiek and Ross, and that's a gateway drug for a great deal of, say, DC quality. I think comics are still young, this stuff is absolutely hype-worthy. Like, how old is "All-Star Superman"? Most of my favorite stories are still babies. If we truly do emerge as an economy driven by our subjective joys, comics are well within the realm. I started collecting with Marvel cards and comics, not Pokemon cards, I've got a stack of old Flair 94's which I admire daily. Just you wait and see, if the Pokemon bubble bursts in NA I'm guessing supers are next on the list for consumer-mania. I'm actually considering investing some of my pokemon money into Marvel cards, srsly these are gorgeous slabs of cardboard, amazing art. 

I do enjoy Alex Ross's work( should be able to tell by my avatar. ) These may not have hit the same level of hype as some, like the marvel series 1 cards, but almost everything has seen a bump as of late. Think a lot of this is FOMO as the younger crowd calls it. Truth is a lot of it was so mass produced ( like you refer to in your post about potential drop in value) that more than likely the bubble around all of it will burst.  Do not get me wrong. I really hope it does not and that it not only continues to grow, but expand into the rest. There is nothing wrong hedging your bets and diversification. Just remember that like your references to the stock market all of this could fall, so collect what you love that way even if value tanks you will still enjoy what you have. 

So, in regards to me and grades and whatnot, I'm actually more attracted to a 5-8.5 than a 9-10. The 5-8.5 has more of a story to it, the corners, edges, surface, and centering all tell a story. How exactly did this card find itself in this case? It sparks my imagination beyond "oh, this card was pulled straight from a pack and put into a grading sleeve and sent off to CGC". So, please, keep valuing minty cards while I scoop up worn favorites, cards which have the joy of childhood embedded into them. Aside from a few cards in my current grading package, I'm donating all of my NA cards to a local school with instructions on how to build decks and whatnot. That's what keeps this hobby alive, all of those kids growing up and going woah, this is still awesome! I guess the attachment I feel to these current cards is the overwhelming circumstance involved, going from a small dogecoin investment to whatever is going on at the moment. 2021 is wild lmao, what a rollercoaster

6 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I do enjoy Alex Ross's work( should be able to tell by my avatar. ) These may not have hit the same level of hype as some, like the marvel series 1 cards, but almost everything has seen a bump as of late. Think a lot of this is FOMO as the younger crowd calls it. Truth is a lot of it was so mass produced ( like you refer to in your post about potential drop in value) that more than likely the bubble around all of it will burst.  Do not get me wrong. I really hope it does not and that it not only continues to grow, but expand into the rest. There is nothing wrong hedging your bets and diversification. Just remember that like your references to the stock market all of this could fall, so collect what you love that way even if value tanks you will still enjoy what you have. 

Absolutely, I gotta keep screaming "NO CRYSTAL BALL HAHA" in wake of offering something which might resemble financial advice. *shifty eyes* I'm not a financial advisor *shifty eyes*. Like, whew, I don't own a single thing which is worth what I'm paying for these grades, this is a big deal for me getting into any kind of business. RE: comic stuff, 100% for personal enjoyment, I wouldn't invest in Marvel cards thinking I can flip them (especially after catching wind of these loaded warehouses in this lovely forum). Pokemon... well, I'm not a financial advisor ;)

23 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I’m still able to buy paintings from these 90’s Marvel cards sets for less than what some of these PSA cards are selling for...and you better believe I dumped what I had and bought a painting.

2 hours ago, The Nameless One said:

That image is a good headcanon for how I imagine the more, er, seasoned comic posters wandering into the TCG forum looking. The lawn chairs are over there, yes we'll go to the store to pick you up a copy of the new amazing fantasy #15 settle down now

At one time we shared the boards with the coin collectors and we were the young crazy guys and the coin guys were the staid, dull dudes.  Now the card guys have come in and the comic guys are the old guard. 

HEY, who wants to go to a rave?  

I'm used to being old guard so being here makes me all fresh and wide-eyed as opposed to droning about Batman movies for 30 threads *points fingers at head*. Film critique, yeesh. You could imagine all of the oldsters wondering what's going on with all of the comic movies :p

27 minutes ago, Mephisto said:

I’m still able to buy paintings from these 90’s Marvel cards sets for less than what some of these PSA cards are selling for...and you better believe I dumped what I had and bought a painting.

I would definitely take the art over the card.. 

16 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I would definitely take the art over the card.. 

Considering the four PSA graded cards I bought only because I already owned the original paintings of it was easy to let the cards go with the upswing in the market. 

When the four cards cost $150 total less than 2 years ago and I was able to sell them for $1,900 now and then buy a 94 Masterpieces painting for $1,000, I’d take the option all day long. I only wish I had bought more PSA graded 92 and 94 Marvel Masterpieces!

1 minute ago, Mephisto said:

Considering the four PSA graded cards I bought only because I already owned the original paintings of it was easy to let the cards go with the upswing in the market. 

When the four cards cost $150 total less than 2 years ago and I was able to sell them for $1,900 now and then buy a 94 Masterpieces painting for $1,000, I’d take the option all day long. I only wish I had bought more PSA graded 92 and 94 Marvel Masterpieces!

Definitely do not blame you there.. I would have done the same.. 

On 3/20/2021 at 6:57 PM, The Nameless One said:

I'm used to being old guard so being here makes me all fresh and wide-eyed as opposed to droning about Batman movies for 30 threads *points fingers at head*. Film critique, yeesh. You could imagine all of the oldsters wondering what's going on with all of the comic movies :p

You guys are the new guard here and you have an opportunity to help build a new community.  I haven't poked around the card area of the boards but I suspect there are many potentially helpful and important threads to start.  Similar to threads started on the comics side of the board

Threads that talk about what's new in your collection

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/441276-this-week-in-your-collection/

or sharing bargain hunting finds 

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/162511-post-your-garage-saleflea-marketantique-mall-finds-here/

or bad ebay sellers list

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/328716-ebay-blocked-user-list/

or showing your collection

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/88197-got-a-comic-room-showcase-it-here/

4 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

You guys are the new guard here and you have an opportunity to help build a new community.  I haven't poked around the card area of the boards but I suspect there are many potentially helpful and important threads to start.  Similar to threads started on the comics side of the board

Duly noted, I'll be putting work in here for sure! This is a clean forum. The thread I'm working on is "What we're grading and why", hopefully people offer their insight, every card has a reason. I'm thrilled that the trading card aspect of the forum is so fresh, lots to work with, this whole thing is just getting started. Cheers for the great ideas