• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crazy! and Crazy Part II

23 posts in this topic

It doesn't make any sense on the face of it.

Captureb.thumb.PNG.70197b22dbbfe51385a53143d2ca9983.PNG

Even with CPR in mind, an unexceptional 9.0 that sells for $1,400 (+ 20% BP = $1,680) when 9.4's with better page quality sell around the $400 mark is highly suspect:

Capture.thumb.PNG.3fc301a7a9aa4b7d7df5b8b6d251bf48.PNG

There are two scenarios that I can see.

First, a non-comic familiar person, bored at home in lockdown, decides to relive his youth and before he knows it he's bid a book he remembers as a kid up far in excess of its worth. He doesn't know that of course, because he's just browsing, is wealthy to the point where it 'doesn't matter', and just bids away. But that would require at least two such people, wouldn't it, to unwittingly compete against each other.

The second is that it's a dodgy market manipulation attempt. 

Is there a third? hm

3 minutes ago, OuterboroGuy said:

I literally bought this same issue and grade a month ago for $1150.  It's almost doubled in 3 weeks.

Untitled.png

I think a lot of people are buying 9.4/9.6 copies of old CGC label ASM 300s at a premium though, the idea being the buyer hopes they're unpressed and could "press into" a 9.8. I'm not justifying it, I just think that's what's happening here based on some recent trends.

1 minute ago, Jesse-Lee said:

I think a lot of people are buying 9.4/9.6 copies of old CGC label ASM 300s at a premium though, the idea being the buyer hopes they're unpressed and could "press into" a 9.8. I'm not justifying it, I just think that's what's happening here based on some recent trends.

Yeah, I saw the old label.  Big risk though, how much can you really tell by an online image whether there is a pressable defect.

2 minutes ago, OuterboroGuy said:

Yeah, I saw the old label.  Big risk though, how much can you really tell by an online image whether there is a pressable defect.

I agree - same with people buying 9.6s from other grading companies and hoping to resubmit for a higher grade from CGC; I wonder how many of those end well for the buyer? Seems like a huge risk.

36 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

It doesn't make any sense on the face of it.

Captureb.thumb.PNG.70197b22dbbfe51385a53143d2ca9983.PNG

Even with CPR in mind, an unexceptional 9.0 that sells for $1,400 (+ 20% BP = $1,680) when 9.4's with better page quality sell around the $400 mark is highly suspect:

Capture.thumb.PNG.3fc301a7a9aa4b7d7df5b8b6d251bf48.PNG

There are two scenarios that I can see.

First, a non-comic familiar person, bored at home in lockdown, decides to relive his youth and before he knows it he's bid a book he remembers as a kid up far in excess of its worth. He doesn't know that of course, because he's just browsing, is wealthy to the point where it 'doesn't matter', and just bids away. But that would require at least two such people, wouldn't it, to unwittingly compete against each other.

The second is that it's a dodgy market manipulation attempt. 

Is there a third? hm

A third could be someone put in a high maximum bid and someone walked them up  on the price. Although for that price pretty brave that it didn't get dropped back on them.

1 minute ago, JWKyle said:

A third could be someone put in a high maximum bid and someone walked them up  on the price. Although for that price pretty brave that it didn't get dropped back on them.

Shenanigans!

54 minutes ago, OuterboroGuy said:

Seems risky, but even if it gets to a 9.6 that could be a good payoff... too risky for me though. Luckily, I grabbed a 9.4 newsie on Friday for $1300 :-). Anyone want to offer me a mere $2150? That's $10 off and I'll even toss in free shipping! :devil: (just kidding)