• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody else try making their own mailers?
1 1

3 posts in this topic

I had some time and clean cardboard on my hands a couple weeks ago so I traced the pattern of a comic mailer and made some.

mailer1.jpg.5bf2c70567b180923763556085f366b4.jpg

mailer2.jpg.33d352738851dd2995604034c0f30fc2.jpg

One complaint I have with Gemini-type mailers is the cardboard used seems a little flimsy.  I usually put 2 pieces of extra cardboard inside to stiffen them up.  I cut these mailers out of some thicker cardboard, and the difference in strength is huge.  With the 2 extra pieces added it feels really indestructible, even in the hands of the USPS.  Surprisingly, the heavier cardboard mailer is only a fraction of an ounce heavier than the purchased one.

mailer3.jpg.c7f2b2d6cc276fdaef44857c59d4384c.jpg

Anybody else tried this?  I can't be the only tightwad here.  :)

I make my own, and get a kick out of saving...quite a bit, actually.  In an hour or less, I can make 30 or so.  At $1 apiece savings, I'm making $30+ an hour.

I just cut simple rectangles from unfolded boxes, roughly 14" x 22" (no photo necessary), with the inner fluting running parallel to the short dimension.  Then it's a simple wrap around a bubble-wrapped book, and tape. 

The ends extend a couple of inches past the ends of the book, so when you pinch them closed it provides a crunch zone.  For books or comics that are heavy or of higher value, I can add something at the ends before pinching them closed - peanuts, rolled up strips of scrap bubble wrap, foam, newspaper rolled, whatever.

After taping, it goes in a 10x16 poly envelope.  A hardcover or paperback book that would be 3 lbs. media in a box may be only 2lbs. in the mailer/envelope, saving half a buck on postage and also the cost of the box and padding material.

For comics, you can make 2 mailers out of a Medium Priority Flat Rate box.  Just open the glued corner, cut in equal halves.  It's the perfect size to fit in a legal flat rate envelope.

So you take a 6 comic lot, for instance, bubble wrap it, fold the "mailer" around it, tape the ends.  That goes in the Legal envelope.  Send it anywhere in the US for under $8.  No cost at all for supplies, and super sturdy.  Can't be beat.